Martin Brundle to Sky

Posted by elpasho2005f1 
Martin Brundle to Sky
Date: October 24, 2011 02:27PM
Posted by: elpasho2005f1
Martin Brundle will reportedly sign on the dotted line on Monday as he gears up for a move from the BBC to Sky for next year's F1 season.

When it was announced that Sky TV had secured the rights to show all F1 grands prix live as of next season, rumours regarding Brundle's future immediately arose.

And, after months of speculation about whether he'll stay or go, it now appears the 52-year-old is on the verge of agreeing a move.

According to The Telegraph, Brundle "is believed to have been persuaded not only by the double-your-money offer from Sky but by the promise that he will be the star of its F1 coverage, heavily involved with much of the extra programming it is planning in an effort to convince fans to sign up to its subscription service."

The newspaper added that he is "expected to sign" on Monday and "will be paired with David Croft in the Sky commentary booth" for next year's F1 Championship.

As of next season, Sky Sports will show all grands prix and related live while the BBC will only be broadcasting 10 races live while showing extended highlights of the other 10 hours in a delayed format.

Can't say I'm surprised tbh, a shame
Re: Martin Brundle to Sky
Date: October 24, 2011 03:33PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
A pity that the Brundle and Coulthard partnership is breaking up, I've enjoyed them more and more as the year has gone on :(

But still, it's a good line-up, and still no sign of Ant, which is great!

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 24, 2011 03:53PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
SchueyFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A pity that the Brundle and Coulthard partnership
> is breaking up, I've enjoyed them more and more as
> the year has gone on :(
>
> But still, it's a good line-up, and still no sign
> of Ant, which is great!

It's a shame DC is going. I wouldn't mind Ant tbh it's always nice to have ex-drivers input.

Anyway, the BBC may choose to stream the Sky commentary as part of the deal, as mentioned on ESPN.

Until I hear more I'm not saying goodbye to good old Martin yet, but I'll be massively pissed if I have to endure F1 without him.
Date: October 24, 2011 04:04PM
When I say that about Ant, I mean that I hope he gets completely left out in this musical chairs!

Also, don't forget that the race commentary will be the same for Sky and BBC, it's just the presenters that will be different.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 24, 2011 05:12PM
Posted by: chet
I couldn't give a toss if Jenson himself was commentating from his car, its still a complete joke that in Britain, if we want to watch F1 legally, we have to buy a sky sports (or even sky) subscription!!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 24, 2011 05:15PM
Posted by: danm
I don't get that either Chet, it is basically a monopoly on the market.

I would have thought having most of the football was bad enough, but to get the massive chunk that is F1 viewers, surely of the most watched sports events, this will mean they have a monopoly?

I thought that was illegal, as with media coverage and owning xxx% of media!?

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: October 24, 2011 06:03PM
Apparently Leigh Diffey is moving to the BBC. Quite a bizarre choice, I must say. He used to commentate in V8 Supercars, but now works for Speed in America doing GrandAm, F1 etc.

He's quite a brash, shouty, sort of commentator, I don't think he'll be liked by UK F1 fans, to be honest.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 24, 2011 06:15PM
Posted by: matt3454
Don't forget that Radio 5 will still be broadcasting live, so don't think the ant & crofty partnership will be breaking up in a hurry!

Date: October 24, 2011 06:25PM
If you read the first post, the reports say Croft has signed for Sky, so I think that partnership definitely will be breaking up!

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 24, 2011 06:30PM
Posted by: matt3454
just rumours at the moment ;) Nothing definate yet, although im not sure where this will leave bbc if brundle and croft leave. Their 5live options looks like Coulthard, Maurice Hamilton, Davidson and Chandhok on certian weekends, although I don't think their budget would stretch to Coulthard for radio.

Date: October 24, 2011 07:07PM
They also had John Watson at Singapore, so maybe they'd think of employing him on a more regular basis?

Davidson can't make it to every race due to his Peugeot commitments, so they'll need a few 'reserves'

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 24, 2011 07:23PM
Posted by: Monza972
If the BBC do end up producing their own commentary for the highlights and the 10 "free" races we get you can be sure that be 2013 there will be no one left watching Formula 1 on the beeb because

1) Commentary will be useless
2) 5Live's over
3) No one will care about watching it on the BBC when there will be countless of us F1 fans finding a Sky Sports stream and watching it online.

BBC might as well have just given it to Sky fully rather than cause this kerfuffle.
Date: October 24, 2011 09:17PM
Posted by: slicer
Well this screws up my Expat shield approach to F1 coverage. Now how is this murikan watch F1 without stupid Speed? My parents are already looking into cutting out TV all together to save money.

-------------------------------------------------
Yes, thank you for noticing I am the most amazing being in the galaxy.
Date: October 24, 2011 09:32PM
Posted by: gav
Brundle said earlier on Twitter that he hasn't agreed to anything and that he's still mulling over his options.

I'd much prefer if the Beeb bit the bullet and just took the Sky commentary. There's no point in crying over spilled milk - naturally we want the best commentators there are available if possible, and Brundle is certainly one of them. If sharing is an option, then all parties would be stupid to turn it down and the only losers would be the F1 fans, be they Sky viewers or BBC viewers.
Date: October 24, 2011 09:49PM
Posted by: thestig88
Brundle once admitted that he felt he underachieved in his career because he wasn't ''ruthless'' enough behind the scenes, when he put himself forward to replace Jonathan Legard, maybe it was him redressing that feeling from his racing career, and again should he go against the fans wishes and join sky, then maybe its him doing whats best for himself again.
Date: October 24, 2011 11:11PM
Posted by: elemental
Telegraph was wrong,I didn't sign £1m Sky contract today. Calmly working through it, will end up doing what satisfies me most professionally - MBrundle
Date: November 27, 2011 11:02AM
Posted by: senninho
Brundle confirmed for Sky: [www.autosport.com]

I respect his reasons, but still - boo, hiss, etc.

Date: November 27, 2011 11:59AM
Posted by: torana_05
does anyone know what this means for people like us in australia that use the bbc feed, i wonder if channel 10 will fork out the money to pay sky sports to use their telecast

Date: November 27, 2011 10:18PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
I don't mind. As long as I get F1 coverage with MB one way or another I'm happy.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: November 27, 2011 10:42PM
Posted by: EC83
My only concern over this is getting the access to live streams online, and if there are any known ones which are reliable.

Can't argue with his reasoning behind moving over to Sky. It would be just as important to him to be there commentating on the races as they unfold, as it is to most of us to be able to watch them in the first place.

All of this just makes me realise how much more time I'm about to start devoting to watching F1. With the races the BBC don't show live it'll just be about watching the live Sky broadcast(hopefully) and then watching the BBC highlights afterwards, but if the BBC don't go with the Sky feed and insist on doing their own race commentary, I'll probably watch the race live on the BBC and then watch a recording of the live Sky broadcast just to hear Martin's commentary... Long F1 days!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2011 10:52PM by EC83.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy