2011 Belgian GP **SPOILERS** + Race statistics

Posted by andreigp4 
2011 Belgian GP **SPOILERS** + Race statistics
Date: August 25, 2011 09:38PM
Posted by: andreigp4
Summer Break is over, gentlemen start your engines!!!

&feature=player_embedded

Over the years, the Spa course has been modified several times. The track was originally 15 kilometres (9 mi) long, but after World War II, the track had some changes. The uphill U-turn right after the famous Eau Rouge corner called "Virage de Ancienne Douane" was eliminated and cut short, thus giving birth to the Radillon uphill sweeping corner. The sudden right-hander at Malmedy was eliminated and bypassed, and was made part of the Masta Straight. The slight right-hander that was originally Holowell (the corner before Stavelot after the second Masta Straight) was eliminated. And finally, instead of going through a slight left-hander that went into the town of Stavelot and a sharp right-hander at a road junction in Stavelot, a shortcut was built that became a very fast, very wide right-handed turn that bypassed Stavelot. All these changes made the final configuration of the old Spa circuit 14 km (9 mi) long. All these changes made Spa the fastest open road circuit in the world, and in the final years of the old circuit, drivers could average 150 mph (241 km/h) on the circuit. The biggest change, however, saw the circuit being shortened from 14 km (9 mi) to 7 km (4 mi) in 1979. The start/finish line, which was originally on the downhill straight before Eau Rouge, was moved to the straight before the La Source hairpin in 1981. Like its predecessor the new layout still is a fast and hilly route through the Ardennes where speeds in excess of 330 km/h (205 mph) can be reached. Since inception, the place has been famous for its unpredictable weather. Frequently drivers are confronted with one part of the course being clear and bright while another stretch is rainy and slippery.
The circuit probably demonstrates the importance of driver skill more than any other in the world. This is largely due to the Eau Rouge and Blanchimont corners, both which need to be taken flat out to achieve a fast run onto the straights after them, which aids a driver in both a fast lap and in overtaking. (Wikipedia)

Spa-Francorchamps Grand Prix winners:

2010 Lewis Hamilton - McLaren-Mercedes
2009 Kimi Räikkönen – Ferrari
2008 Felipe Massa – Ferrari
2007 Kimi Räikkönen – Ferrari *
2005 Kimi Räikkönen – McLaren-Mercedes
2004 Kimi Räikkönen – McLaren-Mercedes
2002 Michael Schumacher – Ferrari *
2001 Michael Schumacher – Ferrari
2000 Mika Häkkinen – McLaren-Mercedes *
1999 David Coulthard – McLaren-Mercedes
1998 Damon Hill – Jordan-Honda
1997 Michael Schumacher – Ferrari *
1996 Michael Schumacher – Ferrari *
1995 Michael Schumacher – Benetton-Renault *
1994 Damon Hill – Williams-Renault
1993 Damon Hill – Williams-Renault
1992 Michael Schumacher – Benetton-Ford
1991 Ayrton Senna – McLaren-Honda *
1990 Ayrton Senna – McLaren-Honda *
1989 Ayrton Senna – McLaren-Honda *
1988 Ayrton Senna – McLaren-Honda *
1987 Alain Prost – McLaren-TAG
1986 Nigel Mansell – Williams-Honda
1985 Ayrton Senna – Lotus-Renault
1983 Alain Prost – Renault *
1970 Pedro Rodriguez – BRM
1968 Bruce McLaren – McLaren-Ford
1967 Dan Gurney – Eagle-Weslake
1966 John Surtees – Ferrari *
1965 Jim Clark – Lotus-Climax
1964 Jim Clark – Lotus-Climax
1963 Jim Clark – Lotus-Climax
1962 Jim Clark – Lotus-Climax
1961 Phil Hill – Ferrari
1960 Jack Brabham – Cooper-Climax *
1958 Tony Brooks - Vanwall
1956 Peter Collins – Ferrari
1955 Juan Manuel Fangio – Mercedes
1954 Juan Manuel Fangio – Maserati *
1953 Alberto Ascari – Ferrari
1952 Alberto Ascari – Ferrari *
1951 Giuseppe Farina – Alfa Romeo
1950 Juan Manuel Fangio – Alfa Romeo

* Victory from pole position
(GPUPDATE)

(Wikipedia)

Spa-Francorchamps pole positions:

2010 Mark Webber - Red Bull-Renault
2009 Giancarlo Fisichella – Force India
2008 Lewis Hamilton – McLaren-Mercedes
2007 Kimi Räikkönen - Ferrari
2005 Juan Pablo Montoya – McLaren-Mercedes
2004 Jarno Trulli – Renault
2002 Michael Schumacher – Ferrari
2001 Juan Pablo Montoya – Williams-BMW
2000 Mika Häkkinen – McLaren-Mercedes
1999 Mika Häkkinen – McLaren-Mercedes
1998 Mika Häkkinen – McLaren-Mercedes
1997 Jacques Villeneuve – Williams-Renault
1996 Jacques Villeneuve – Williams-Renault
1995 Gerhard Berger – Ferrari
1994 Rubens Barrichello – Jordan-Hart
1993 Alain Prost – Williams-Renault
1992 Nigel Mansell – Williams-Renault
1991 Ayrton Senna – McLaren-Honda
1990 Ayrton Senna – McLaren-Honda
1989 Ayrton Senna – McLaren-Honda
1988 Ayrton Senna – McLaren-Honda
1987 Nigel Mansell – Williams-Honda
1986 Nélson Piquet – Williams-Honda
1985 Alain Prost – McLaren-TAG
1983 Alain Prost – Renault
1970 Jackie Stewart – March-Ford
1968 Chris Amon – Ferrari
1967 Jim Clark – Lotus-Ford
1966 John Surtees – Ferrari
1965 Graham Hill – BRM
1964 Dan Gurney – Brabham-Climax
1963 Graham Hill – BRM
1962 Graham Hill – BRM
1961 Phil Hill – Ferrari
1960 Jack Brabham – Cooper-Climax
1958 Mike Hawthorn – Ferrari
1956 Juan Manuel Fangio – Ferrari
1955 Eugenio Castellotti - Lancia
1954 Juan Manuel Fangio – Maserati
1953 Juan Manuel Fangio – Maserati
1952 Alberto Ascari – Ferrari
1951 Juan Manuel Fangio – Alfa Romeo
1950 Giuseppe Farina – Alfa Romeo

(GPUPDATE)

NEWS in brief:

[en.espnf1.com]

'We have nothing to lose' - Alonso
Fernando Alonso has called on Ferrari to take more risks before the end of the season as he believes his team "have nothing to lose now"

Easier for Alonso to hunt Vettel - Button
Jenson Button believes Fernando Alonso could be the best placed driver to haul in Sebastian Vettel in the championship as his Ferrari team-mate Felipe Massa is out of the fight

Warwick elected BRDC president
Derek Warwick has been elected as the new president of the British Racing Drivers Club (BRDC), replacing the outgoing Damon Hill.

No driver will dominate rest of the season - Webber
Mark Webber does not think any single driver will be able to emulate Sebastian Vettel's start to the season in the remaining eight races, but he insists that does not mean the championship is over

Schumacher has 'not many regrets'

Sutil eyes Renault scalp
Adrian Sutil says Force India is aiming to overhaul Renault for fifth place in the constructor's championship.

'Not our favourite circuit' - Vettel
Sebastian Vettel says that Spa-Francorchamps is not Red Bull's "favourite circuit", but that he still thinks the RB7 will be strong.

Senna in for next two races
Bruno Senna will hold onto his race seat at Renault for the Belgian and Italian Grands Prix, with a view to racing for the team until the end of the season.

Di Resta ready for Eau Rouge challenge
Paul di Resta says he is ready for the challenge of Eau Rouge having never driven at Spa-Francorchamps in a Formula One car.

Liuzzi looks to HRT future
Tonio Liuzzi says he wants to stay with HRT because he believes it can make "a huge step forward in terms of lap time" in 2012.

Massa looking for first victory
Felipe Massa says his target for the rest of the season is to attempt to secure his first victory of the year.

Toro Rosso truck in crash
A Toro Rosso transporter was involved in an accident with another lorry en route to the Spa-Francorchamps circuit for the Belgian Grand Prix.

Button hails Schumacher achievement
Jenson Button says Michael Schumacher's 20 years in Formula One "is very impressive", and hasn't ruled out matching the feat himself.

Vettel comfortable with lead
Sebastian Vettel says he is happy to pick up solid points in his quest for the championship, even if he is unable to win races.

Senna replaces Heidfeld at Renault
Renault has confirmed that Bruno Senna will replace Nick Heidfeld for this weekend's Belgian Grand Prix.

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Hamilton targets Spa improvements
McLaren's Lewis Hamilton says he must raise his game at the Belgian Grand Prix and admits he did not perform at his best in the last race.

Senna could race for rest of 2011
Bruno Senna sets himself realistic targets in this weekend's Belgian Grand Prix as he races for Renault in place of Nick Heidfeld.

McLaren drivers urged to attack
McLaren want Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button to take aggressive approach as season resumes in Belgium.

F1 imposes DRS ban at Eau Rouge
Formula 1 bosses ban the use of the DRS overtaking device in the famous Eau Rouge corner at this weekend's Belgian Grand Prix.

Renault ‘drop Heidfeld for Senna’
Nick Heidfeld is dropped by the Renault team in favour of Bruno Senna for this weekend's Belgian Grand Prix, Eddie Jordan says.

In-form McLaren target Red Bull
Jenson Button hopes McLaren can keep the pressure on Red Bull at the Belgian Grand Prix.

Expansion plans for Silverstone
The British Racing Drivers' club submits plans to expand Silverstone's facilities

Button focused on beating Vettel
Jenson Button is targeting Sebastian Vettel in every remaining race this season

Red Bull 'won't change' approach
Team boss Christian Horner says Red Bull will not change their philosophy despite failing to win any of the last three races.

Mark Webber Pole Lap 2010:

Let's hope for a classic SPA-ish race!!!!

(BBC Weather)

____________________________________________________________________________________
____________________________________________________________________________________
________________________BELGIAN GRAND PRIX STATISTICS:_______________________________

Red Bull maintained their unbeaten run in qualifying, Vettel setting his ninth pole position of the year.

That was the 24th pole position of his career, putting him eighth on the all-time list, with as many as Niki Lauda and Nelson Piquet.

One race day he claimed his seventh win of 2011 and the 17th of his career. It was also his 30th podium finish.

Mark Webber set fastest lap for the 11th time.

Virgin equalled the record for most starts by a team without scoring a point.

Jenson Button failed to reach Q3 for the first time this year. That leaves Sebastian Vettel, Lewis Hamilton, Nico Rosberg and the two Ferrari drivers as the only drivers to have reached Q3 in all 12 races.

Jaime Alguersuari and Bruno Senna enjoyed their best qualifying performances to date with sixth and seventh respectively.

Venezuela has its second points-scorer in F1 in the shape of Pastor Maldonado, who finished tenth and claimed a point. The only previous Venezuelan driver to score in F1 was Johnny Cecotto, who finished sixth at Long Beach for Theodore in 1983.

Nico Rosberg has now led six different races for a total of 60 laps without having won one. Only four drivers have led more laps in world championship races without winning one.

Source: [www.f1fanatic.co.uk]

____
Re: 2011 Belgian GP **SPOILERS**
Date: August 25, 2011 11:11PM
Posted by: LeeBeau
wow, i would not put this effort into something if i wasn't paid, good job.

just to be a dick though - weather? ;)
Date: August 26, 2011 12:33AM
Posted by: chet
Best race thread ever?
Should be a good 'un!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: August 26, 2011 12:59AM
Posted by: andreigp4
I read almost anything related to F1 so why not share with everyone. This topic was up and running in less than 5 minutes. It might seem a lot of work but it's just copy paste with bolding and coloring texts. I love to read previews and watch pre-shows so this is why I'm going to take charge of race topics (1st was Hungary). Have fun guys, I will miss the entire race weekend...but will be watching the 7 hrs marathon (qualifying and race) on Sunday night and then go straight to work.

PS: Weather update in the 1st post!

____
Date: August 26, 2011 07:51PM
Posted by: Carlitox
Well, the friday's FPs are over and LRGP worst fears are on-track...

LOTUS RENAULT EPIC FAIL
QUICK NICK WINS

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: August 26, 2011 07:54PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Hopefully the predictions of a wet qualifying and dry race are accurate, as I think that would make for some interesting results in terms of who goes for what setup tomorrow.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: August 26, 2011 08:02PM
Posted by: Slash
Carlitox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, the friday's FPs are over and LRGP worst
> fears are on-track...
> [www.formula1.com]
> bel476.jpg
> LOTUS RENAULT EPIC FAIL
> QUICK NICK WINS

great start! lmao
Date: August 26, 2011 08:49PM
Posted by: J i m
In fairness to Bruno, Paul di Resta has a similar accident, and Paul is generally very impressive indeed.

I don't think we can point to that relatively minor mistake and call it an epic failure just yet.

Date: August 26, 2011 09:33PM
J i m Wrote:
> In fairness to Bruno, Paul di Resta has a similar
> accident, and Paul is generally very impressive
> indeed.
>
> I don't think we can point to that relatively
> minor mistake and call it an epic failure just
> yet.

You may be right, but talking only about LRGP's drivers I think you'll agree with me that Heidfeld wouldn't have made that mistake. Paul di Resta is a rookie as well as Bruno Senna, but bear in mind that this is Paul's first time in Spa in years, unlike Bruno, who raced it last year with HRT. It's obvious that he must have some basic knowledge of the track, regardless of how disastrous his last car was. Furthermore, Lotus had a chance to keep a skilled veteran, and instead they choose two inexperienced drivers. Lots of luck, but I insist: That was not good.

Date: August 26, 2011 09:42PM
It's impossible to claim that Heidfeld would have not made that mistake, sure he has more experience than most, but he can still make mistakes, as can Schumacher etc.

Branding it as an epic failure based upon minor mistake, after only 1 practice session is taking it a bit too far. We can only fairly begin to assess his performance after Sunday.

Date: August 26, 2011 10:55PM
Posted by: gav
Massa was famous for making constant mistakes at Sauber in his early years (and arguably since, depending on what sort of a season he's having), yet he came within one corner of winning a world championship. Your formative years are seldom conclusive of where you'll end up.

He'll make mistakes. It would be rather hard on the guy to expect him not to, having not driven the car in anger and not driven it at all for half a year, while it would have changed considerably.
Date: August 27, 2011 01:11AM
Better crash now than tomorrow.

IMO he will be on trial for 2-3 races. If he does OK then he will sit in for the reason. If not, there is no loss in giving Grosjean a try.

Let's face it, the difference in WCC position in terms of money for them will not be an issue. Why not experiment for the final part of the season while they have a shite car?

Both Senna, and Grosjean deserve another shot at F1 IMO. Was never a fan of Grosjean, but its clear he is talented. A shot in a team minus Flavio and Alonso might be good for him.

Date: August 27, 2011 02:00AM
chet Wrote:
> Better crash now than tomorrow.
>
> IMO he will be on trial for 2-3 races. If he does
> OK then he will sit in for the reason. If not,
> there is no loss in giving Grosjean a try.

You get a (Y) from me. I didn't want Nick out, but if he had to be dumped I would've put Grosjean in. He's fresh from GP2, and he's had some success, so he may have a good motivation.

Date: August 27, 2011 09:41AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Don't forget Heidfeld crashed twice on Friday in China this year!

Also, Kimi crashed at that corner in Free Practice in 2008, so it's not a bad club to join, I guess ;)

X (@ed24f1)
Date: August 27, 2011 11:17AM
Posted by: gav
Very British weather in Belgium. That's properly wet. :S
Date: August 27, 2011 12:23PM
When was the last time we had a weekend completely wet?

edit - Heikki :D!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2011 02:23PM by chet.
Date: August 27, 2011 02:50PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Senna FTW. He needed to get into Q3 and he has.

WTF was Maldonado doing there?

Strange behaviour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2011 02:51PM by loque.
Date: August 27, 2011 03:00PM
Button should have taken initiative, end of.

He has enough experience to know the track was going to quicker. I can only blame him for him not being part of Q3.

Date: August 27, 2011 03:09PM
Well. Bruno sucked so very hard, 7th and only out qualified Petrov 1.2 seconds.... epic fail. /sarcasm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2011 03:10PM by J i m.
Date: August 27, 2011 03:12PM
Senna :D:D! But tomorrow is the real test, today was too variable for a judge imo. I like the guy alot but dont want to get my hopes up.

wow. Jenson looked the most disappointed ive ever seen him...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy