Bad news, BBC to share F1 with Sky Sports - boo hiss boo!

Posted by elio 
danm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can't imagine the sponsors would be happy at
> losing free audiences in favour of PPV audiences.

This point is what I believe will create some problems for Bernie in the future. The sponsorship price for non-open air is much smaller than open air, and while this change in broadcasting will for now only be happening in the UK (so let's say 30 million people don't watch it) it still sends a strong message to the teams. It's expensive to run in F1 and FOM gets most of the money, with teams getting possibly >10% less money from sponsors it will very soon not be a good deal to be in F1 unless you're winning the championship or in the top 3 at the worse.
icky Wrote:

> I just thought something appeared on sky as a ppv
> channel dedicated to f1 for all of a season in the
> late 90's early 00's but i must of imagined it.

i think there was some sort of thing like that(f1 digital?) but it only came to the uk in about 2002 and it lasted a year .
Guimengo Wrote:
> danm Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Can't imagine the sponsors would be happy at
> > losing free audiences in favour of PPV
> audiences.
>
>
> This point is what I believe will create some
> problems for Bernie in the future. The sponsorship
> price for non-open air is much smaller than open
> air, and while this change in broadcasting will
> for now only be happening in the UK (so let's say
> 30 million people don't watch it) it still sends a
> strong message to the teams. It's expensive to run
> in F1 and FOM gets most of the money, with teams
> getting possibly >10% less money from sponsors it
> will very soon not be a good deal to be in F1
> unless you're winning the championship or in the
> top 3 at the worse.

but more than 30 million don't watch it at the moment.

this years british grand prix didn't even break 5m viewers.

i think i read somewhere today that there are about 6m sky sports subscribers, so i'd imagine they be looking at about 2 - 2.5m viewers for F1?

so ok its a 50% drop, but then its only a 50% drop in the uk. given the global nature of the sport i can't see sponsors caring.
SchueyFan Wrote:
> ipswich2007 Wrote:
> -----
> > Why don't the BBC, for the other 10 races,
> > syndicate Sky's footage and commentary? Surely
> > this would not cost hardly anything.
> > Brundle & Allen voiced over the Digital
>
> It'd be a slight waste of money for Sky then,
> wouldn't it. ;)
>
>
> DJSKYLINE Wrote:
> -----
> > this sucks. I wont have sky at Uni so wont be
> able
> > to watch all the races/practice anymore.....
> > thanks Bernie..
>
> As long as you have a computer, you'll be fine.

So you think there will be an (illegal) feed on line for sky sports?! I know there is so many places to watch BBC being free to air but just thinking of finding a decent sky sports feed with a decent resolution might be difficult?! (I cant afford to pay subscription prices for any online tv lololol.)

As someone said on the last page, there are currently many Sky streams for other sports.

If not, you could even resort to a foreign language feed and text commentary.

X (@ed24f1)
SchueyFan Wrote:
> As someone said on the last page, there are
> currently many Sky streams for other sports.
>
> If not, you could even resort to a foreign
> language feed and text commentary.

Or even better just mute the stream audio and put on the BBC Radio 5 live commentary.

Interested in managing an F1 team? Sign up for the Grandprixgames F1 Manager game here

Twigster151 Wrote:
> Or even better just mute the stream audio and put
> on the BBC Radio 5 live commentary.

Yes, that's fine for the races, but I doubt that they will cover all sessions over the weekend (unless I misread the announcement)

X (@ed24f1)
SchueyFan Wrote:
> Twigster151 Wrote:
> -----
> > Or even better just mute the stream audio and
> put
> > on the BBC Radio 5 live commentary.
>
> Yes, that's fine for the races, but I doubt that
> they will cover all sessions over the weekend
> (unless I misread the announcement)

i think 5 lives coverage is unaffected. i.e sports extra will still be covering all the sessions they currently do.
Yes, I suppose that's still to be decided.

Considering BBC are still broadcasting and editing highlights of every race, employing staff to go to 10 races etc., I wonder how much they are actually saving?

X (@ed24f1)
a few more details

[www.autosport.com]
I wonder how the likes of the smaller teams feel.

Sponsors signing up long deals with teams are now having their contracts voided, and not being seen.

LOL at the 6m sky sports subscribers - that's insane. Sky don't show F1 now anyway, so where are new fans coming from? They think everyones going to sign up to Sky, or all the people already on Sky for the Football gonna switch sports?

I don't think so!

On a side note, why not ditch the race build up from half the shows, just get bbc team to commentate the feed about 5 mins before the race.

62% of the budget is probably spent by EJ and DC on starching those pristine white jeans.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2011 05:45PM by danm.
> On a side note, why not ditch the race build up
> from half the shows, just get bbc team to
> commentate the feed about 5 mins before the race.
>
> 62% of the budget is probably spent by EJ and DC
> on starching those pristine white jeans.

Agreed i swear most of the budget goes on stupid stuff to entertain us for an hour before quali and the race.
Yeh i agree i would still watch even if it was just the race pretty much like they have in free practise, maybe keep stuff like brundles pitwalk and have 15 minutes pre-race buildup. If i record it i fastforward through all the pre show stuff anyway.

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Barney Francis, managing director of Sky Sports, said: "This is fantastic news for F1 fans". How did he work that one out?

That has totally screwed me for F1 next year, I can't afford that kind of money each month. whats the point in watching half a season, you may as well not watch at all. And as Sky's past record goes with the likes of Indycar and A1GP, it will be absolute cack!

5 x WCC - S5, S6, S7, S8, S10 | 4 x WDC - S5 Nick van der Voort ; S6, S7, S8 Ed Greenhalgh | 2 x WTC - S6 Stuart Ingers; S8 Andrei Sevastian
Thanks BBC

I can watch the Olympic Torch be carried around Britain for 70 days, but seriously F1, which is currently at a ten year high in viewers...

Yeah better not keep that, lets share it with Sky

And has been said, the Sky coverage is likely to be rubbish

Apparently this is all trending on twitter right now, hopefully the fan reaction can make some difference, although it is highly unlikey

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
BBC F1 chief attempts to justify the deal: [www.bbc.co.uk]

Does a bad job though and i can still see no reason for only half to be free. Well on the up side, guess it gives us half/three quarters of a year to find the live feeds we will need...

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
It now seems that the BBC will broadcast not just highlights for those unloved 10 races, but the full race, according to Martin Whitmarsh.

If that's true, then I think while it's a step backwards from what those in the UK have been used to, it isn't really a disaster.

Sure the BBC broadcast will be just a no-frills re-transmission of the race, and not much else, but I think we can live without Brundle's grid-walks, Eddie's bad fashion and 'expert' comments etc.

X (@ed24f1)
I could cope with the full race if it were an hour or two after the live broadcast had finished.

What I find frustrating is that other countries may well still get their live BBC coverage while we have to make do with either a highlights cut or a delayed rerun. I can understand it, but it's annoying that their live coverage will be out there, but I won't be able to get my hands on it until hours later.
gav Wrote:
> What I find frustrating is that other countries
> may well still get their live BBC coverage while
> we have to make do with either a highlights cut or
> a delayed rerun. I can understand it, but it's
> annoying that their live coverage will be out
> there, but I won't be able to get my hands on it
> until hours later.

Yes, it will be interesting to see what happens with the Australian broadcast. However, if we do get BBC 'coverage', all it will be is commentators, nothing else. We never get the grid-walk or anything else. And presumably Sky will poach Brundle and others, so the BBC commentators might not be so crash hot anyway.

I suppose there's three options
1) We take Sky's commentators
2) We take BBC 5Live's commentators
3) We take (god forbid) American commentators

X (@ed24f1)
I'd gladly take just the race & qualifying live on the BBC.

All these years we've had people like you Aussies telling us we've never had it so good, and to stop complaining about James Allen and Jonathan Legard... well from next year we'll have exactly half the races.

I've long held a belief that the internet is the way to go. Well now we need a dedicated stream from FOM themselves. I'd gladly pay £5 or maybe £10 for a weekend of F1 so long as it's very good quality (presumably such as what the BBC will be are trialling online this weekend). We need on-demand, and never has it been brought into sharper contrast than today.

There's no way I'm paying Rupert Murdoch and his corrupt cronies £500-600 a year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy