The 2011 Formula One Season

Posted by madotter 
Re: The 2011 Formula One Season
Date: March 22, 2011 09:00PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
>
> But come on any team that has Newey is always
> going to win.

not if it has ferrari with ross, rori burn, jean todt AND SCHUMACHER at his best a.k.a Ferrari 2000-2004 against him :-)

Beside that, you are 100 perc. right. i was actually wondering wheter the fail back of the williams team after 1997 was only due to the departure of renault or more to the departure of adrian newey.
Date: March 23, 2011 12:59AM
Posted by: matt3454
BBC have said that the feed coming out of melbourne for FP1 is HD, but as its on the red button it will only be SD.

Which made me think, whats so important on BBC HD at 2am in the morning?

Date: March 23, 2011 08:18AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
BBC HD isn't on air at 2am. They won't turn the channel on just for F1 practice when the norm is to turn it on the red button.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 23, 2011 09:20AM
Posted by: Ali
vesuvius Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> According to Helmut Marko, Redbull is a 1 second
> ahead of Ferrari in quali rim at barcelona and 1,5
> seconds ahead of Mercedes and Renault
> [babelfish.yahoo.com]
> &tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-res&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.au
> tobild.de%2Fartikel%2Fformel-1-saison-2011-ausblic
> k-1585101.html&lp=de_en&btnTrUrl=Translate...also
> he says there is more innovative updates coming to
> Redbull cars .
> Auto motor und sport then again reported that at
> barcelona Alonso did 1,21,6 with super soft tyres
> and only 15kg of fuel, while Schumacher did 1,21,2
> with similar fuel load and soft tyres (around
> 0,3-0,5 slower tyres.

If that is true, Ferrari is as fast as Sauber, Toro Rosso and a bounch of mid-field teams because all of them were able to set a 1.21.6-1.21.8, and Massa was only capable of a 1.22.0... I really doubt that.

I definetely think Ferrari had something more. Alonso did a few 5-6 lap stints at low 1.22s, I find difficult to believe that in a 1 fast lap he could only do a 1.21.6.

Again, reading testing times is veeeeeery dificult.
Date: March 23, 2011 11:18AM
Posted by: marcl
mitadumapaga Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > But come on any team that has Newey is always
> > going to win.
>
>
> not if it has ferrari with ross, rori burn, jean
> todt AND SCHUMACHER at his best a.k.a Ferrari
> 2000-2004 against him :-)
>
> Beside that, you are 100 perc. right. i was
> actually wondering wheter the fail back of the
> williams team after 1997 was only due to the
> departure of renault or more to the departure of
> adrian newey.

I thought of that after I posetd it lol, but the Williams in 2005, 2006, 2007 was the best car just not the best drivers. Williams down turn was due to him leaving I think they same happened at Mclaren as well when he took a step back and let someone else make the car. 2008 Williams just seemed to try and update the car from 2007, it was very average.

When he was at mclaren they should have won more but the car kept breaking, the engine was just not 100% at that stage.

It took a few years at RBR to get everything in place but now look at them, they have the same engine as Renault and look at the difference. We know Vettel is fantastic but Webber is not the greatest yet he is able to win etc.

So yeah until the next great designer comes along RBR are going to keep on winning as long as they keep Vettel.
Date: March 23, 2011 12:11PM
Posted by: davidm
Do you not have the wrong decade here?
Date: March 23, 2011 12:48PM
Yep lol take 10 years off lol

I mean 1995,1996 1997 etc :)
Date: March 23, 2011 01:30PM
Cheers dave! I thought BBC HD just ran continuously.

Date: March 23, 2011 04:47PM
Posted by: chet
I guess old news, but just confirmation which is nice.

I spoke to a guy today who works in the space engineering industry, their composites department had a new arrival not so long ago. Someone from RBR. He introduced a new way of manufacturing composites for their satellites so that under say a point static load they reacted one way, but under a dynamic load in another direction, they had different characteristics. Now this is one of the main selling points of composites, maybe more so than weight gains. Its been well documented that CF can be manipulated in such ways by weave construction but I dont think many people take advantage of this still. Boeing shell out their CF work to cheap labour....

But doesn't it sound familiar? He said that RBR DIRECTLY looked into flexy wings using this method.

I guess old news but i was under the impression that the reason it was legal was due to the fact that the static load tests are still minimal loads compared to front wing loadings. But actually manipulating the material to have different characteristics under different loads in specific directions. Simple idea, but well executed by RedBull! Brilliant stuff which joins the growing list of RedBull must have's for other teams. Another thing which makes me think they will be top for a good few years yet!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 23, 2011 05:28PM
I've not actually heard of anything like that before chet. No wonder they kept passing their load testing.

I seriously can't wait for the new season now, just a shame that the clocks go forward and i have a 7 hour shift starting at 9am. Hoping for not many safety cars so i can see the race to the finish!

Date: March 23, 2011 05:31PM
[news.bbc.co.uk]

Anybody know why the chinese GP is subject to track approval? Or is this just another BBC cock-up, as the Indian GP isn't apparantly subject to track approval :S

Date: March 23, 2011 05:38PM
Oh, they've altered the circuit.

Date: March 23, 2011 05:38PM
Posted by: Nickv
No it's true. They've had to bring it back up to standards, but IIRC they have asked for an extended deadline.
Date: March 23, 2011 06:42PM
Posted by: loren
Interesting bit about RBR chet. They've definately got one of the most agressive composites departments out there. I can't help but wonder if this is the cause of a lot of the failures we've seen from them, but most teams seem to have been very conservative. There's a place for this (airliners, or the safety cell of the cars which is why the FIA set the design for that), but most teams don't seem to have taken full advantage of composites. Now I'm not sure the bit about how well they could make a flexy wing just by exploiting composite behavior, but it's nice to see a team trying to be innovative in a time when the FIA have killed off almost all innovation.
Date: March 23, 2011 07:25PM
Posted by: gav
marcl
When he was at mclaren they should have won more but the car kept breaking, the engine was just not 100% at that stage.

This is another of Newey's tell-tales - his cars break. They always have. He's famously strict on the packaging of a car and levels of cooling (for aerodynamic purposes) and as a result sometimes the limits are a bit too close.

It's not necessarily a criticism, but I wouldn't say the McLaren (and his others cars) weaknesses were detrimental to their performance, as in a roundabout way, they contributed to the fundamentals of the car design and pace inherent in that.
Date: March 23, 2011 07:42PM
Posted by: davidm
A bit like Colin Chapman in earlier days?
Date: March 23, 2011 08:00PM
Posted by: gav
In a different sort of way, I guess so. Chapman was experimental (something which is limited in any obvious sort of way now) and his principles were to make the car as light as possible, often to the detriment of strength, while Newey's reputation is one which will limit the reliability of the car, rather than making something less safe.

But I guess in a different era, Newey would have been very like Chapman.
Date: March 23, 2011 10:08PM
Posted by: chet
Loren - you'd be amazed. Aviation doesnt take advantage of composite materials for those reasons. Aviation use composites because of the ease of manufacture and relative cost. Its cheap labour to get a composite material of equal strength and less weight than other various materials. Weight comes into it but not as much as people think. The mass of types of aircraft hasnt changed much over 30 years. Any weight gained is used for something else for the most part.

As for Newey and Mclaren. The difference between that and Bryne at Ferrari was that Ferrari was the whole package. Newey at Mclaren had weak spots, namely the Merc powerplant. Come to think of it, the dream team Ferrari is something I doubt we will ever see again. It still amaze's me just how perfect it all came together. Brawn, Todt, Bryne, Bridgestone and Schumacher...

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 23, 2011 10:09PM
I agree Gav but sometimes the Merc engine would break after 2 laps and that really messed up Kimi's year in a car that should have made him champ, yes the other problem was the gear box.

Chet I had heard about that it was mentioned at the time but how anyone could prove it is another matter, I am sure if they start flexing again this year it will be looked at more as tbh its just not correct but it is legal due to the stupid tests.
Date: March 23, 2011 10:13PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
But doesn't it sound familiar? He said that RBR DIRECTLY looked into flexy wings using this method.

They may have done, but the photos don't lie - the RBR wing doesn't actually flex that much. Not as much as other cars. Rather the entire car pitches forward in a manner we haven't seen before.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy