The 2011 Formula One Season

Posted by madotter 
Re: The 2011 Formula One Season
Date: March 18, 2011 03:28PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
marcl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Merc did same the car was not the same but they
> never ever said what it was, does anyone know?

I imagine it was mainly setup differences, because someone probably would have noticed any notices on the car itself.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 18, 2011 04:32PM
Posted by: senninho
Tyre compound colours announced by Pirelli:

Autosport.com

Seems like a good idea, although I wonder how visible the colours will be at speed - Bridgestone decided against coloured text for this reason, IIRC.

Date: March 18, 2011 04:56PM
Posted by: alless84
Medium – white
Hard – silver

those two could be a problem but others should look just fine.
Date: March 18, 2011 06:00PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
You won't ever see those at the same event, so it doesn't really matter.

To be honest I think Pirelli have dropped the ball on this one. The idea is to make it simple, not having to remember colour codes for every possible compound. How on earth is the casual fan going to remember all that? They should have just done a difference between option and prime rather than every compound, that would have been easier.

Or just copy the Indycar system, like has been suggested since forever.

Date: March 18, 2011 06:51PM
Posted by: Nickv
Shoo, you can't just copy that filthy American system!
Date: March 18, 2011 07:51PM
Posted by: senna9194
alless84 Wrote:
> Medium – white
> Hard – silver
>
> those two could be a problem but others should
> look just fine.

yeah,i wouldn't see much difference between them.Another colour would have been better for hard(green?)

My GPGSL Career
Date: March 18, 2011 08:21PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
I do love it when people don't read even the post below on what they're commenting on.

Date: March 18, 2011 08:36PM
Posted by: gav
97kirkc
To be honest I think Pirelli have dropped the ball on this one. The idea is to make it simple, not having to remember colour codes for every possible compound. How on earth is the casual fan going to remember all that? They should have just done a difference between option and prime rather than every compound, that would have been easier.

I partly agree. While it can be nice to see softer compound one colour and the harder another, really the commentary is going to tell you more than enough. It's a bit of a non-issue for me. For us, we'll adapt in no time at all when the season starts and we'll only have 2 dry sets to choose from out of 4, most casual watchers won't care which tyre they're on, and those who do will have the aforementioned commentary teams to help them along. It'll be the norm in a few races.

I much prefer the text colour compared to a ring of green (I hated that colour since the first onboard shot I saw, where you couldn't even see it) or the stripe on a set of wets (which of course wore away gradually).

We haven't even had a race yet, and I'm already loving Pirelli.
Date: March 19, 2011 08:29AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
F1 is already catering to the "casual fan" too much with KERS, silly rear wings, etc. I like that Pirelli have added something a little bit more technical to it, for those of us who like that.

And anyway, if you're the type of fan that can't cope with 6 colours, perhaps you aren't cut out for the high tech world of F1. I realise that sounds a little high horse, but dear god, it isn't hard.

We haven't even had a race yet, and I'm already loving Pirelli.

Same. I love that they went out of there way to make tyres designed for better racing. It may not work, we'll have to see, but they are trying, which is brilliant. I love that they are using the colour codes like this. They already have so much more character than Bridgestone ever did.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 19, 2011 10:46AM
Posted by: msater
gav Wrote:
> We haven't even had a race yet, and I'm already
> loving Pirelli.

Same :)

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: March 19, 2011 05:43PM
Posted by: da silva
Date: March 20, 2011 09:21PM
Posted by: Isaint
I agree with the comments about Rosberg. I'm a Schuey fan down to the bone but Rosberg is so underrated. He goes about his work in such a quiet and positive manner; with competence and ability. For sure if this guy had the right tools he would re-write the grid.
Regarding Lewis it's like I always said. Being quick does not mean you are guaranteed notoriety, there are already enough drivers just as quick. It's the ability to go fast coupled with the maturity and that sixth sense which enables you to perform through all adversity. It's what Senna had and it's what Schumi had ...... and it's what Lewis lacks.

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: March 20, 2011 09:46PM
Posted by: JackHammer
Rosberg is a great driver, I'd love to see him in the same car as Vettel, just to see if he's quicker
Fairly confident he will be a future world champion

Date: March 20, 2011 10:58PM
Posted by: chet
It seems strange to say that Bridgestones quality tyres are the reason people are happy they are gone.

The Pirelli's should help the racing, if not for on-track overtaking, they should make some interesting strategies.

Thing is, the way I see it is that once a driver pits, they all will, and this will happen time after time. Then we will have the case of driver preference. Are we going to see Massa pitting 1-2 laps before expected? Knowing that once the pit window opens Alonso will get preference?

What Pirelli are doing is leaving it up to the driver, and it's upto the drivers to make the call.

Button and Massa SHOULD lose out. They are not as quick as their team mates, and their team will be right to pit the other driver first (posistion depending) but these drivers need to be proactive... Button and Massa should not wait for that pit window, they should be the ones to create that window.

Im only using these two drivers as an example because they are the two clear drivers who are not as quick. But it obviously applies to every driver. We are going to see some big gains, and bigger losses with these tyres... I cant wait :D

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 21, 2011 09:27AM
Posted by: gav
chet
It seems strange to say that Bridgestones quality tyres are the reason people are happy they are gone.

I'm not pleased Bridgestone are gone, and I can't criticise them for bringing excellent tyres - they're in the sport to sell tyres after all.

I'm just delighted that Pirelli have taken the bold step to deliberately make tyres which wear quicker, thus potentially harming their profile among the numpties who watch F1.

If we end up with half a dozen dry races even 1/3 as good as Montreal 2010 then I'm all for it! Speaking of which, there were a few tyre strategies played out there. Not everyone pitted together (I'm thinking of Webber's bold strategy).

Still, the tyres aren't primarily about strategy, they're about mistakes and the ability to overtake as a result, and because of that, I'm impatiently counting down this week with an increasing amount of drool moistening my lips!
Date: March 21, 2011 01:52PM
Posted by: marcl
So mclaren have changed the floor and their exhaust system and they recon they will gain a second a lap, if they have gained that amount then that would put them up with Rbr and Ferrari. I can not really see it tbh.

[www.autosport.com]
Date: March 21, 2011 01:53PM
chet Wrote:
> Thing is, the way I see it is that once a driver
> pits, they all will, and this will happen time
> after time. Then we will have the case of driver
> preference. Are we going to see Massa pitting 1-2
> laps before expected? Knowing that once the pit
> window opens Alonso will get preference?

I don't think this was a huge problem before 2010 when there were multiple pitstops, so I think it will be okay this year. As you said, the driver that is ahead should get preference - adding more importance to qualifying.

The only problem may be with the super soft tyres (if they are ever used in the current specification) as pitting one lap earlier or later could be more detrimental to one driver.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 21, 2011 02:37PM
Posted by: Slash
marcl Wrote:
> So mclaren have changed the floor and their
> exhaust system and they recon they will gain a
> second a lap, if they have gained that amount then
> that would put them up with Rbr and Ferrari. I
> can not really see it tbh.
>
> [www.autosport.com]

sounds like the man is desperate

is funny i remmeber couple of weeks ago reading a Ross Brawn interview where he says that tought times very often lead to pressure and to desperate actions that can cause the whole thing to get even worse
Date: March 21, 2011 02:45PM
It is a bit of a pity for McLaren though, if you believe the rumours, as they had developed this innovative concept, but had it knocked back due to the material, pyrosic, being too expensive, and on the FIA's banned list. Allegedly Ferrari had already asked to use the material, but they were declined, so McLaren had to be as well.

I think technical innovation like this is great in F1, so it's just another example of the lack of freedom these days.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 21, 2011 03:02PM
Posted by: Isaint
For sure any changes this late in the day should automatically set off alarm bells; as for gaining a second a lap? So let me get this right after months of testing and development the package comes up short. Now in a space of a few weeks they have found the answer uhh, with no concrete testing. Okay, . . . Lewis must be definitely leaving because that's the most ridiculously ambitious statement I have heard this season.

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy