The 2011 Formula One Season

Posted by madotter 
Re: The 2011 Formula One Season
Date: March 15, 2011 10:47AM
Posted by: marcl
The actual mclaren car is ok, its fast but wont do more than 15 laps without a problem. They are working on a system that they will have for the 1st race.

But it all depends what story you read and listen to lol.

At the moment though the car will not even last the hour of quali.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2011 12:31PM by marcl.
Date: March 15, 2011 01:06PM
Posted by: Ali
I think you're overreacting. I think McLaren will be there. By being there I mean in the Q3 and figthing for the top 5. I don't think they are in Red Bull pace or/and maybe Ferrari, but inmediately behind them. I do really think McLaren can be relatively close, probably matching Mercedes and Renault at least.

But maybe I'm wrong, it's just a feeling.
Date: March 15, 2011 01:28PM
I think you are right that Mclaren do have the pace to be with Ferrari, but everyone is behind RBR I think.

But if you look at the testing Mclaren have not lasted more than a handful of laps without a problem, but they will have new parts for the 1st race.
Date: March 15, 2011 02:39PM
Posted by: Ali
marcl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but everyone is behind RBR I think.

yeah... I'm afraid so...
Date: March 15, 2011 04:17PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
The tests at Barcelona probably give a bit of a distorted reality though. Last year, this was one of the Red Bull's absolute strongest circuits, so if Ferrari can get close there, there will be other tracks that they will probably have a significant edge. Like last year, it will probably be downforce vs. mechanical grip again.

As for McLaren, both drivers have proven to not be great in a poor car. Look at Button in the Honda earth car years, for example - and compare it to the first half of 2009. I think its fairly well documented that Button struggles when everything is not going well - I think Villeneuve and others have publicly stated that.

Hamilton also didn't cover himself in much glory when the car was struggling in early 2009. He had a poor attitude, and then when the car was reasonable, made mistakes - such as at Shanghai and Monaco.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 15, 2011 04:53PM
^I do not think we can look at the past tbh as both drivers have improved a lot. The Honda was that bad neither driver could do anything with it.

Lewis was only in his 3rd year and that was his 1st time in a bad car and he learnt from that, and he had that crap from the 1st race to deal with so it was not just the car he was having problems with.

Lets see how MS goes as well in a better car as last year he was that bad compared to Nico. Any other driver and he would not be on the grod this year.

I am looking forwrd to seeing how they both get on tbh.

There are still a lot of questions to be asked.
Date: March 15, 2011 06:29PM
Posted by: EC83
marcl Wrote:
> ^I do not think we can look at the past tbh as
> both drivers have improved a lot.

The past is the best indicator we have as to what to expect, so yeah, we should at least take it into consideration when speculating about this season.

> Lewis was only in his 3rd year and that was his
> 1st time in a bad car and he learnt from that, and
> he had that crap from the 1st race to deal with so
> it was not just the car he was having problems
> with.

Of course, none of that crap was self-inflicted. ;-)
In the first half of 2009 Lewis showed a lot about his true self, on and off the track, which had been successfully hidden from most of us previously. That was his first time in an uncompetitive car, and he failed to outperform that car. So, if the McLaren isn't competitive this season it doesn't look positive for him.

> Lets see how MS goes as well in a better car as
> last year he was that bad compared to Nico. Any
> other driver and he would not be on the grod this
> year.

Disagree. I think any other driver wouldn't have had the bashing MS had for his relatively poor performances(Pace-wise; his use of extreme tactics is another matter altogether) and would've gotten off lighter, since they wouldn't have had the expectations on them that Schumacher did. Drivers have performed worse than he did in 2010 and kept their drives the following season.

Date: March 15, 2011 10:38PM
Posted by: Frantic
im putting special attention on how each drivers will adapt to pirellis in race... is a significant change a think... JV career was destroyed when grooved tyres were introduced... im sure this thires will suit better massa and hedfield style than sutils for example

Date: March 15, 2011 11:18PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
I'm expecting Button and Heidfeld to run long as they are always very smooth on tyres, and we all know the Pirellis are less durable than Bridgestones.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: March 15, 2011 11:26PM
Yet last year in some races where was Button compared to Lewis so I think last year he did show he could out drive problems in the car, so I think he showed enough tbh. Button dunno.

In 2009 he pushed way to hard and spun far to much, and yes a lot of the problems were his own doing i.e Australia which he actually had a good race lol. Even last year Lewis let his out of F1 screw him up and that is a real weakness something he needs to sort out.

I am not saying he is the best thing out there btw, just saying I do think he has got better and wont make the errors of 2009 if the car is bad.

No you are right as no other driver would have lasted the year to get the bashing MS got lol :) I am joking with u btw, at the end of the year he was driving better lets see how he does,
Date: March 18, 2011 06:04AM
Posted by: EC83
Good points, well made. I know I probably seem to have a tendency to flame Lewis like he's a Whopper at Burger King, but a large part of that is actually frustration/despair at the guy because he's one of the best drivers out there, and good enough to be able to win fairly, without resorting to stuff like Spa 2008 and Australia 2009 and making daft comments. However he's been showing signs of being much more mature in the last year or so, which I hope will be continuing, and generally developing well as a driver. He should cope better this time round if his car turns out to be off the pace.

Regarding MS, I'm expecting him to make a big step forward this year, and to generally have the edge on Rosberg. I think that if he doesn't, it'll be a failure for him; Schumacher in his prime would've smashed a Rosberg, and while I'm not expecting him to smash Rosberg this year, he should still be capable of beating him on a regular basis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2011 06:05AM by EC83.
Date: March 18, 2011 08:52AM
Posted by: gav
EC83
Regarding MS, I'm expecting him to make a big step forward this year, and to generally have the edge on Rosberg. I think that if he doesn't, it'll be a failure for him; Schumacher in his prime would've smashed a Rosberg, and while I'm not expecting him to smash Rosberg this year, he should still be capable of beating him on a regular basis.

Quite.

Regarding Schumacher smashing Rosberg... well in terms of getting the team behind him, yes, but in terms of driving talent, Rosberg is still an excellent, under-rated talent in my opinion. Despite me saying before the season that Rosberg was one of best drivers in 2009, 2010 was all about how Schumacher was failing and Rosberg's performances were almost off the radar in those discussions.

When Schumacher was the team leader at Benetton and Ferrari, those discussions weren't often about how poorly Herbert, Irvine, Barrichello or Massa were doing, but how good Schumacher was. I realise the nature of the situations were very different, but a little more balance and perspective would be nice - those drivers were after all brought in to help the teams win the constructors titles.

I agree though - if Schumacher's comeback is to be deemed a success, he needs to be the equal of Rosberg this year, and in with a chance of lucking into a win, behind the Red Bulls and Ferraris. I didn't ever think he would win the championship as he was never going to be as sharp as when he left. The guy is in his 40s in a sport where the average F1 career is probably ended aged about 32 and hadn't raced for three years. Common sense dictated it was never going to happen, regardless of what his stats and records said.
Date: March 18, 2011 09:55AM
EC83 Wrote:
> However he's been showing
> signs of being much more mature in the last year
> or so, which I hope will be continuing, and
> generally developing well as a driver. He should
> cope better this time round if his car turns out
> to be off the pace.

I'm not to sure about that. In the first half of 2010, it looked like he had matured, but then showed that he hadn't changed much at all in the second half of the year.

He had practice crashes at Hockenheim and Suzuka, almost binned it in Spa with a big lead, destroyed the tyres twice in Brazil and of course put himself in ill-considered positions in Monza and Singapore.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 18, 2011 11:12AM
Posted by: chet
But thats Lewis.

He wont ever calm down, its an advantage but disadvantage at times too...

As for Schumacher, if he matches Nico more often than he did in 2010 then ill be impressed. Like Gav, I still consider Nico one of the best, so if Schumacher can indeed match him, then its an achievement in my eyes.. Im sure he will even beat on many occasions.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 18, 2011 11:43AM
Posted by: danm
Rosberg has to scoop up and chase podiums this year to retain credibility.

I still have all my faith in his skill as a driver - he is bloody consistent, it just makes you wonder if he just had that extra oomph from a car he may just show more flashes of brilliance and notch up trophys instead of top 4 finishes.

He's in the second tier of top drivers, or bottom of the top, whichever way you see it.

A first win MUST be close this year.

Still, I say watch Toro Rosso in the background.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: March 18, 2011 11:56AM
As I said the 2nd half of the year he let his outside life get in the way which has been covered already, drivers like Senna and MS shut that out as soon as they got in the car which is something Lewis had to learn.

Even in the Germany and Japan he crashed in practise and still done better the rest of the weekend than his team mate. Japan in the race he was closing in the leading 2 when the car let him down yet again.

Spa you mean the race where it started to rain and Alonso and Vettel both totally messed up, it was wet and he went off but got back on and kept his head. The number of times Senna and MS done that and got away with it and yet people dont put them down for it :) Did he go off yes, did he win the race yes whats the problem?

Italy he was a prat, but Singapoure sorry still think that was not all his fault.

As I said before when he cocks up I say he has, but others have done things even worse and they dont get mentioned as much as his cock ups :)

Anyway its all old stuff and I do think he changed last year for the better and learnt how to deal with things.

MS did improve at the end of the year and if he carries that forward I think he will be up there, the problem is though I dont think MS can extract that last 10th out the car now and Nico will probably start most races ahead of him like last year. But if MS can drive like he used to in races then with these tyres he should win some races.

There are 2 ways to race this year, look after the tyres or just go for it and make the extra stop.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2011 11:59AM by marcl.
Date: March 18, 2011 12:02PM
Singapore was not completely his fault, but I think that Webber was never going to back down, so he could have left some more room and still had the inside line for the next corner

I think that his new management might also be too much of a distraction. I suppose it can't go much worse than Simon Fuller's last entry into F1 - the Honda earth livery.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 18, 2011 12:38PM
I am not that happy he signed for Simon, Simon will over work him as he does with just about everyone.
Date: March 18, 2011 02:58PM
Posted by: Slash
MS problems last year can also be retribuited to his 3 years of no competition... he showed sign of his speed every now and then but it was a completleey different cars, tyres and team he was used to, and F1 is one of the most demanding sports, mentally and physically
i remember when Jaques replaced Jarno in Renault after being a couple of monts away and he was 2 secs off the pace... imagine what happens if you're 3 years
i'de be very dissapointed if he doesn't beat Rosberg this year, he was a bit out of shape and weighted a lot more than Nico but at the end he had similar pace if not better, only his qualy rythm was costing him but he seems in better shape now

guys sorry for my grammar i'm at the office and had to write this really quick, lol.. all for gpg

ps: moto gp seems a nice topic to discuss
Date: March 18, 2011 03:09PM
Merc did same the car was not the same but they never ever said what it was, does anyone know?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy