PURE Engines

Posted by danm 
PURE Engines
Date: January 19, 2012 03:16PM
Posted by: danm
I haven't seen anything here about this yet, so thought we could keep discussions in its own thread.

Craig Pollock is allegedly considering taking a punt to buying out the remains of the recently denounced Peugeot Engine Department in Paris (Sportscars).

Given he also has snitched a load of Toyota's facilities and staff, that is quite an impressive list.

I am wondering if there will be a link with Mike Gasgoyne at all, as he still has links with ex-Toyota staff and design division.

Pollock is certain a few teams will use their engines, I read a quote a few weeks before Christmas. Pretty confident!

[www.gpupdate.net]

More interesting info here regarding the links to Meccachrome and how it all ties together:

[joesaward.wordpress.com]

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2012 03:20PM by danm.
Re: PURE Engines
Date: January 19, 2012 06:11PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Bye, Cosworth. PURE probably spells the end for you...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: January 19, 2012 10:55PM
Posted by: danm
It sounds like a rather decent programme when its on paper. How it actually works, I have no idea.

All I know is that Meccachrome still puts together the race engines together for Red Bull, or at least did until 2010. They know what they're doing.

There are also some staff drawn in from the 70's and 80's era, so that is some seriously deep knowledge on the drawing board.

The fact a few new companies have been created and merged from well established ones to form hybrids suggest this isn't a flash in the pan.

Looks like Cosworth has some competition!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: January 20, 2012 03:46PM
Posted by: EC83
Meh, the purest engines I've heard in F1 are still the ones from the season I first started watching, 1989. Think I was extremely lucky to get into F1 at that particular time, although it means you end up going through all the following eras being consistently disappointed by the increasingly homologated engines we've been seeing in the cars.

Date: January 20, 2012 04:35PM
Posted by: J i m
"PURE" look decent enough on paper and Meccachrome and/or Peugeot involvement would only serve to increase the creditals.. but by god Pollock is annoying.

Date: January 20, 2012 07:50PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
You have to hand it to Pollock though, he's a bloody good organiser. To convince BAT to buy out Tyrrell is quite an achievement, and now he's started a new engine company who are backed by groups with tons of expertise. Not a huge fan of the man himself, but he's a pretty good middleman as he's bringing different people together to get PURE off the ground.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: January 20, 2012 09:31PM
Posted by: chet
You have to wonder though. Such a project would not be started without some assurances, by that I mean they must already have a contract in place to supply a team, but who?

As said, this project is some USF1 type affair. It has real expertise, and im sure real potential. At first I would have thought Williams, but now I am tending more toward RedBull/Mcalren involvement.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: January 20, 2012 10:14PM
Well Williams aren't confirmed with Rnault for 2014 yet but Red Bull are, Mclaren are now technically a customer of Mercedes but I think it's still fairly a close partnership since they are getting the best results of all the Merc powered cars.

One of the midfield teams might take a punt though.

Date: January 20, 2012 11:01PM
Posted by: gav
I think PURE are a rival for Cosworth in the truest sense. They can't realistically hope to take on the brute force of Mercedes, Renault or Ferrari. They may have a bit of knowledge in the field, but they simply don't have the resources of the three big players. They'll be looking squarely at the back of the grid - HRT, Marussia and Caterham (if they don't move into the midfield this year).

Cosworth already have a strong engine. It's not front of the grid strong, but it's a world away from the customer engines of the 90s. You'd probably gain half a second a lap tops by moving to one of the top engines... it's going to take quite an effort to bridge that gap, let alone beat it.

Of course the turbo II era may shuffle up the pack a bit, but it's still going to take a monumental effort to become anything other than a modern-day Judd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2012 11:03PM by gav.
Date: January 21, 2012 06:25PM
Sounds to me like PURE are trying(in an ideal world) to create a modern version of the DFV, although it'll probably end up more like the DFR was in the early 90s.

Date: January 30, 2012 10:00AM
Posted by: chet
So according James Allen, the rumour is Mclaren ;-)!

As I said, a project this large and with such intentions has to have real backing. They wont want to enter to be back of the grid, or a low budget option. But it is only a rumour still

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: January 30, 2012 10:29AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
It is quite odd. I'd imagine McLaren are more likely to buy them and rebrand them as McLaren engines rather than being called McLaren PURE though.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: January 30, 2012 10:49AM
I would have expected Mclaren to be more in house at their base if they were going to develop the engine themselves.

Date: January 30, 2012 12:39PM
A quick search on Google and Google News brings up sweet FA about this.
I'm pretty sure McLaren are committed to Mercedes for the foreseeable future. James Allen is probably just being James Allen, and making it up as he goes along.

Date: January 30, 2012 02:52PM
As a journalist Allen is pretty good, it's just as an ITV commentator he was a bit much to stomache.

Date: January 30, 2012 04:35PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
J i m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would have expected Mclaren to be more in house
> at their base if they were going to develop the
> engine themselves.

Maybe eventually, but I'm not sure if they have the budget for that just yet.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: January 30, 2012 06:52PM
Posted by: mika19b
McLaren dismisses PURE rumours.

There we go, couldn't see it myself.

There was a rumour ages ago about them buying BMW's F1 engine facility. That would be a much better plan if they were to ever move away from Mercedes and create McLaren engines.
Date: January 30, 2012 08:31PM
J i m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As a journalist Allen is pretty good

My point exactly. ;)

Date: January 30, 2012 08:53PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
i want to add something to the discussion here, guys.

in my view the main problem about modern formula 1 is that there is just no competition outside the team. fine you might have a merc. vs ferrari vs renault, but still. we have only 1 tyre supplier, we have limited engines so that they are very close to each other (which was part of why ferrari were so good in the 90"s on tracks such as hockenheim or monza), we have also other limitations, such as limited number of testing or gear boxes or engines for a season. I dont say not to limit the money wasting that occured in the early 2000s, but let it not get so extreme. 1 test during the season is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to little. the amount of races you have to drive with a gearbox or engine is also insane in my view.

This, and the fact that we have those huge safety zones everywhere. I dont think the monza circuit was much more dangerous in 2006 compared to today. yet we have huge run offs in the first chicane, second chicane, ascari as well i think. Hell, lets get all the gravel from the lesmos and make it a safety zone as well. This is actually what ruined turn number 3 in spain.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy