The Official 2016 Spanish Grand Prix Thread ***Spoilers***

Posted by Toki 
[bFORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO DE ESPAÑA PIRELLI 2016][/b]

Fri 13 – Sun 15 May 2016

Winner 2015: Nico Rosberg (Mercedes)

Lap Record: 1:21.670 KIMI RÄIKKÖNEN (Ferrari) (2008)

The Real Story of the Race was that the Renault's fell apart and the Ferrari's didn't.
Rosberg headed for the sliproad and retired, probably because of Nicotin starvation they have still not given him a helmet with a little hole in it.
Okay guys - for goodness sake there must be observations after this. I have rarely posted in recent years and there are much better observers than me.

Mercedes - ridiculous - some forums saying its a fix and they will give Ferrari the race (some hope).

RBR - could be massive challengers later in the season.

Ferrari - a confusing one, massively off the pace and could continue to go backwards. You suspect they are suffering from the Italian chaotic malaise. What on earth will there new CEO say to this? Perhaps all will change tomorrow and they will win? Somehow doubt it.

McLaren - I am surprised at how they keep creeping up. Suspect with the engine sorted they could be top.

Anyway come all thoughts and views - best forum by far but dying.
Was happy that Ricciardo pumped out that lap at the end to beat Verstappen, will be interesting to see the two in Turn 1 tomorrow as a podium is certainly on the cards for one of them.

X (@ed24f1)
Mercedes seem to simply go from strength to strength. The whole setup of the organisation just clicks. I sense a Hamilton victory tomorrow as he is basically that but quicker than Rosberg but lap one will be vital. He's been a bit shoddy on the starts so far and Rosberg needs little invitation to take advantage at the moment.

The Red Bull is a super chassis and they've definitely regained some mojo since last year. Maybe they upper Newey's hours? I think there's a real chance they could take the fight to Mercedes at Monaco and a podium here at Spain is also a distinct possibility. I Aluded to that Ricciardo - Verstappen could be a pretty potent lineup and it seems that that just couldn't wait to find out.

What on earth happened to Ferrari?

The midfield looks pretty tight.. The start and tyre strategy are going to be key as anyone from Bottas down to Gutierez could be worthy of points.

Palmer seems to be struggling a bit still, and Manor are beginning to slip back down to clear backmarker status.

Even though I'm a Rosberg fan, I was genuinely happy for Hamilton today - his pole must've felt oh so sweet. You've got to wonder if this is the moment that he lights his fire again. If he can stay in the lead without making any silly mistakes (I think he's prone to desperate overdriving) then maybe Rosberg will have a proper fight for the title after all.

Ferrari? Indeed it is a weird one, but I reckon this is just another one of those mysterious cases where the car suddenly doesn't preform as well in the afternoon as it did in the morning. The onboard with Raikkonen was alarming - that was the kind of oversteer you'd expect at the end of a long stint, not in a qualifying session!

I think we were all worried for Ricciardo when we saw him get beaten by Verstappen in the first couple of sessions. I was so glad when he put in that stonking lap in Q3. Red Bull, after looking mediocre at the beginning of the year, now seem to have found themselves with the second best car. Ferrari should be very worried.

Kudos to Sainz for outqualifying Kvyat, although this is yet another bitter pill for Daniil to swallow. He must be so downbeat right now - let's hope he can keep his head held high, as he's a decent talent and definitely deserves to stay on the grid. It's hard to believe we're even taking about it, but I think he's in real danger of being pushed out of F1 - just because his head's in the wrong place.

Magnussen continues to impress, albeit you have to look hard for it because that Renault is an absolute dog. Did Palmer just have beginner's luck in Australia? It's starting to look that way.

Also, I haven't looked at it properly, but Haryanto seemed to be giving Werhlein a run for his money. Who would've thought?

davidm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyway come all thoughts and views - best forum by
> far but dying.

Totally agree - I think it's a case of people not posting here anymore because, err, nobody's posting anything... A viscous circle. This place is a gem because it's one of the very few places where you can have intelligent conversation without any of the nonsense.

What we need is to get all the old names back, posting regularly, then hopefully the rest will come back one by one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Ferrari were scarily bad, and that's why they won't win a championship in the next few years - as has been the case since 2010 or so, the car is just too 'peaky' and not consistent enough over a season. It reminded me of the year Ferrari bolted on a set of the harder tyres here and went from a nailed on podium in the first stint to being lapped in the 2nd stint.

Mercedes are miles ahead of everyone else.
Bloody hell, Verstappen could win this now!! And what an exciting race we've got!

Cheers Mercedes! :)

Stunning move by Vettel on Sainz. Shades of Mansell Mexico 1990.

As much as I want Sainz to do well, that's the race properly on now! :)

What happened between the two Mercedes? I know they got together, but I don't know what happened that lead them to the incident.

Hamilton lost 1st in turn 1, had the better run out of turn 3, Rosberg covered the inside, Hamilton went on the inside anyway, went on the grass, lost control, took both out.

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018
Bloody hell.

Do you all realise what you're watching?? This guy is the next Schumacher, and he's here now. It's happening now.
Who is that oaf on the podium?!
Max Verstappen... Amazing. In the true sense of the word. We've just witnessed what greatness is made of.

That's how it's done. Right there!

Fairy tale debut. Obviously a combination of factors allowed it to happen, but it was still a corking drive.

Mercedes incident I thought was pretty much 50/50. Last season I was willing Rosberg to man up and take it to Hamilton on track and clearly Hamilton expected him to jump out of the way again. It was a touch late from Rosberg but I thought Hamilton drove into a gap that was always going to close.
It was just clumsiness from the pair of them tbh.
Plus he was also wrong to try such an aggressive move on the first lap of the race, when he would've had plenty more opportunities to take the lead later on... It's like he panicked because someone had gotten ahead of him. I'm reminded of Fuji 2008, TBH.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2016 05:12PM by EC83.
Well that was amazing.. I think it will be a very long time (if ever) until anyone threatens Max's new record as the youngest ever Grand Prix winner not least because the super licence rules now prevent that. But what a marvellously mature performance just nothing at all rattled him. As Gav said the circumstances came together for it too happen but he still had to get the job done and he was right with Ricciardo when the strageties were split.

I think Red Bull changed Stragety there because they were trying to force Ferrari's hand. And it worked too although obviously not so well for Ricciardo who incidentally had an awesome lunge at Vettel. Seb does tend to cry like a baby whenever anyone sends one up on his inside whether they hit him or not.

I haven't got too much to say about Mercedes except thanks for providing the conditions for an excellent race between Red Bull and Ferrari and no doubt there will be plenty of whiney bitching on the social networks about who was at fault... I couldn't be less interested.

Sucks to be Kyvat and I mean it really sucks. Gets demoted and his replacement only goes and wins first time out! Then to rub it in further he gets comfortably beaten by Sainz. His 'Po' face in the interview pen was a picture in itself.

The camera feed didn't show too much of what on behind but super slick pit stops and uncharacteristicly savy stragety ensured that Williams got a sensible haul of points. Toro Rosso and Force India really ought to have been able to give them more hassle but didn't. A commendable effort by Massa to recover into the points.

A good effort to score points by Button, a shame for Guteirez to drop back at the end as he put in a spirited drive today. Not sure what happened to Grosjean (apart from the gravel moment) as its unusual for him to go backwards like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2016 07:50PM by J i m.
What's far more annoying is that Red Bull clearly switched Dan Ricciardo's strategy mid-race. They say it was to cover Vettel, the cynics say it was to give Verstappen the edge on his debut.

Dan Ricciardo has never, ever appeared annoyed or bitter about anything but even though he congratulated Max on his win, he didn't look best pleased today.

At a time when they now arguably have two of the best drivers on the grid, it took Marko and Red Bull exactly one race to start favouring one driver over the other. The team is renowned for its appalling people skills. It seems they just can't help themselves.

If I were Ricciardo I'd be looking for next year's drive now, because his days of being that back-stabbing Austrian c**ts wonderboy are already over.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2016 11:07PM by Laton.
Yup, DRic should be asking some questions. From seemingly comfortably in control to finishing fourth due to a strategy that ceded track position at a place notoriously difficult to pass...

Flawless from Max.

The more I think about it, the more I think Nico has a case to answer. He bogged it in T2 which compromised his T3 and from the he just cocked up judgement of Lewis's closing speed. It was a racing incident and not malicious, but really clumsy to misjudge so poorly
I think also Hamilton was a little desperate for regaining the position. Not a maneuver to do in the 3rd corner. I agree with what was said before, but the crash itself its likely a 50/50.

and Kvyat was destroyed, I think he has talent but i fear he´s on his way to be another Ivan Capelli :(

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy