The Official 73rd Monaco Grand Prix Thread ***Glamorous riding-a-bike-inside-your-house Spoilers***

Posted by Frantic 
We skipped Spain thread so here it is the official Sega´s Super Monaco GP one.

Number of times held: 72
First held: 1929
Circuit length: 3.340 km (2.075 mi)
Race length: 260.520 km (161.887 mi)
Laps:78

some stats:

Most wins in this venue

the mercs look as strong as ever, anyway hoping for a kimi win!!!

by the way, Eurocare (and as not living in Europe I dont know what kind of power Eurocare has in this matter) proposed again to ban alcohol advertising from f1. As I said before is a little stupid as I dont want to drink a damn Martini every time I see a williams on tv. Its like treating dandruff by decapitation.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2015 03:39AM by Frantic.
Monaco is Nico's territory, if Lewis beats him here he will strike a huge blow on his title hopes.

On a side note, if alcohol ads are banned small teams will be in big trouble. Martini shaped Williams logo, anyone?

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
On the alcohol debate...

Is tobacco any more dangerous than alcohol? I'm a smoker and a huge Ferrari fan yet I've never smoked Marlboro! I've never had one too many cigarettes and driven my car into a family of pedestrians, I've never had one cigarette too many and kicked the hell out of someone for no apparent reason and I've never had one cigarette too many and woken up next to someone I don't know and contracted a sexually transmitted disease/infection. I'm just saying it's any better or worse to have Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro than Martini Williams F1 Team. Surely it's in better taste to have tobacco linked to driving instead of alcohol? In conclusion, it should either be both or none.

Iain.
It may be a fairly rubbish race, but there's nothing better than seeing them dancing in the streets.

madotter
On the alcohol debate...

Is tobacco any more dangerous than alcohol? I'm a smoker and a huge Ferrari fan yet I've never smoked Marlboro! I've never had one too many cigarettes and driven my car into a family of pedestrians, I've never had one cigarette too many and kicked the hell out of someone for no apparent reason and I've never had one cigarette too many and woken up next to someone I don't know and contracted a sexually transmitted disease/infection. I'm just saying it's any better or worse to have Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro than Martini Williams F1 Team. Surely it's in better taste to have tobacco linked to driving instead of alcohol? In conclusion, it should either be both or none.

Smoking in moderation will likely be what does for you in the end, or contribute to it, while drinking in moderation can have a minimal impact on quality of life or length.

Of course alcohol does impair judgement and can lead to injuries depending on the level of idiocy of individuals, so it depends on who you're talking about. Looking at the UK and the NHS the government are hell bent on taxing and restricting smoking, while taxing on alcohol is generally less extreme, so I assume smoking as a long-term cost to the NHS is significantly higher due to the cancers and breathing illnesses associated with smoking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2015 11:10AM by gav.
Well, you know, driving after drinking is a dangerous thing, while driving and smoking isn't dangerous at all. Apart if you burn your car by missing the ashtray.

gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It may be a fairly rubbish race, but there's
> nothing better than seeing them dancing in the
> streets.
>
>
>
> On the alcohol debate...
>
> Is tobacco any more dangerous than alcohol? I'm a
> smoker and a huge Ferrari fan yet I've never
> smoked Marlboro! I've never had one too many
> cigarettes and driven my car into a family of
> pedestrians, I've never had one cigarette too many
> and kicked the hell out of someone for no apparent
> reason and I've never had one cigarette too many
> and woken up next to someone I don't know and
> contracted a sexually transmitted
> disease/infection. I'm just saying it's any better
> or worse to have Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro than
> Martini Williams F1 Team. Surely it's in better
> taste to have tobacco linked to driving instead of
> alcohol? In conclusion, it should either be both
> or none.
>
>
> Smoking in moderation will likely be what does for
> you in the end, or contribute to it, while
> drinking in moderation can have a minimal impact
> on quality of life or length.
>
> Of course alcohol does impair judgement and can
> lead to injuries depending on the level of idiocy
> of individuals, so it depends on who you're
> talking about. Looking at the UK and the NHS the
> government are hell bent on taxing and restricting
> smoking, while taxing on alcohol is generally less
> extreme, so I assume smoking as a long-term cost
> to the NHS is significantly higher due to the
> cancers and breathing illnesses associated with
> smoking.

I agree somewhat, but I think if you add up all the tax money that is used not just from the NHS but from the police etc. that is used on call outs to drunk idiots I would guess it's more than the smokers. Can you imagine how many times the police, ambulance and fire dept are called out every single Friday/Saturday purely due to alcohol related incidents?
madotter
Can you imagine how many times the police, ambulance and fire dept are called out every single Friday/Saturday purely due to alcohol related incidents?

Plus the fact that there are more officers on patrol and I assume hospital personnel also grows to higher than it would otherwise be between 11pm and 3am or so.

I don't know, but as I say there must be an obvious reason why smoking is now a taboo, taxed to hell and back yet alcohol is comparatively untouched.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
I sometimes find it tiring that alcohol is so readily used as a explanation or excuse even for poor judgement. The potential for poor judgement is there before getting drunk.. Indeed if you know that you're more vulnerable to being a fool when drunk, then it's poor judgement in the first place to get drunk. Alcohol is not the cause of poor judgement, a contributing factor maybe but not the root cause.

It's irritating that politics keep wanting to ban certain products from sports.

I've been watching F1 since I was about eight... Sure I've associated it with mainly tobacco and alcohol brands. But guess what? I've never ever smoked and I rarely ever drink.

What a shambles by Mercedes.

Thank you Bernie for that exciting script. That was directing at its best.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
I think the last time I was this dumbfounded was when Maldonado won in Spain ;)

Interested in managing an F1 team? Sign up for the Grandprixgames F1 Manager game here

If anyone has any remote idea why Merc had Lewis pit, please tell me. I see no logical reason. Either Virtual, Actual or No Safety Car, he was going to lose the lead anyway.

I LOL'd with his slow-mo arrival to the podium, plus his "f**k this sign" when parking. I get him, I would be pretty pissed but in front of the world you should act diplomatically.

Rosberg will have to check under his bed for Hamilton tonight. ;)

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
What a massive own goal by Mercedes, honestly I can not recall ever being as baffled by any strategic mistake as this. I don't think even they understand what they did. There was just no need to pit.

You could fully understand Hamilton being completely and utter gutted at this result, as he completely dominated... With or without brake problems. The petulance was amusing and slightly sad to see, and he only just got it back under control on the podium.

Rosberg lucked into that, and he knows it but at least he was graceful enough to admit it.

Perhaps Hamilton needs to start making more calls of his own. He's happy enough to ignore team instruction, but now he needs to those calls on pit-stops. Much in the way that Button often will when he sees a chance to shake things up.

If the Merc pit call was baffling then so was the race director call to let the lapped cars back through. It wasted uanessacry time when the actual lead battle was not separated by traffic, and only served spread out the back of the field again.

Lauda said that this was bound to happen. He was pretty angry when he said its was a case of "too many cooks spoil the broth". According to him too many people have a say if it comes to strategies, but no one up dares to have the last word. He also said what they needed was someone who clearly stands up and says "That's the way to go, end of story".

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Verstappen was brilliant behind Vettel, no doubt about that! However, I saw that collision with Grosjean coming... :(

Simply baffling strategy decision by Mercedes!

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Hamilton was peerless today. A proper master class that deserved better.

I could understand Mercedes' strategy if the car in 2nd wasn't another Mercedes, as obviously they knew they wouldn't pit Rosberg and were covering the possibility of a fast Vettel on new super softs, but with Rosberg between any other cars and Hamilton... nope, I can't offer any sensible reasoning. Even with a nailed pitstop it would have been too close with Rosberg to call.

His in lap at the end and attitude pre-podium was gob-smacking though. I thought he'd learned to deal with disappointment better than this, and certainly last year he was able to brush things off in the long-run and come back stronger, so hopefully history repeats itself in that regard.

A very nasty accident for Verstappen, and good to see him climb out. Is it fair to say this is the sort of risk you take in appointing a 17 year old, and why it will never happen again? He was great for 95% of the weekend, superb entertainment and he'll learn from this, but he was very lucky he didn't take off Patrese style and start somersaulting, and a lot more fingers would have been pointing in various directions.
I don't think we should judge Verstappen too harshly for that, I mean I know the stewards judged him to be at fault, but to be honest we've seen many older more experience rookies (let alone veterans) make far bigger mistakes than that. Up until then, all his manoeuvres had been beautiful. Glad he's ok.

I can't say I've seen a one like that anywhere for a long time Jim. The only example I can think of is Webber being asleep at Valencia.

If that was Maldonado yesterday we'd all be going nuts right now.
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't say I've seen a one like that anywhere for
> a long time Jim. The only example I can think of
> is Webber being asleep at Valencia.
>
> If that was Maldonado yesterday we'd all be going
> nuts right now.

There's a difference though. Max is new, young, and finding the limits. He's making mistakes, yes, but the guy seems to be learning from them whilst also bringing in a bit of spicy racecraft. If he's not making mistakes in his rookie season, then he's not trying hard enough.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy