The 2015 Formula One Season

Posted by madotter 
Re: The 2015 Formula One Season
Date: March 12, 2015 10:56PM
Posted by: gav
airefresco
Gav, whilst I mostly agree with you, Sauber should not be in this situation.

Yeah, I agree. I took a bit of time today to get a bit more background info on the situation, and clearly things have escalated rapidly over the last 24 hours. I wouldn't be surprised if things haven't escalated further when I get up for FP2 tomorrow.

The opinion I gave in the Aussie GP thread is more scathing of Sauber.
Date: March 12, 2015 11:04PM
Posted by: Carlitox
When all this mess came up, I admit I was against VDG, not knowing the full story, suing your way to the grid for me was plain idiotic. But, after learining about all, I have to take VDG's side. I mean, yeah, he paid for it and that's not the most auspicious way to get to F1. But as if it were a supermarket, if you pay for something and you don't get it, and to top it off the guys give the stuff you paid for to other guy, you're gonna sue. I still think forcing your way to the grid is not good, you may be passionate enough to drive, but the relationship with the team is going to be awful and that has a direct impact on the overall performance. Had I been in VDG's place, I'd be asking for my money back, plus a compensation, then seek for other racing series. But I respect VDG's decision and pray for Sauber to overcome all of this. As we say on my country, heads will roll there...

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: March 18, 2015 03:05PM
Posted by: J i m
So Sauber and Van der Garde have come to a settlement. It turns out that his sponsors paid up front for this year's drive in full last year in turn for him being a race driver for 2015. If that being so then Saubers actions of then going on to sign two different drivers without a word to Van der Garde or Sutil for that matter is really poor on their part.

I doubt even having won his court cases that Van der Garde thought for one moment he'd actually get to race for Sauber this year, but it's had the effect of exposing some questionable practices that go on within F1 and showed Sauber or at least Monisha and it's management in a bad light.

In other news it has been rumoured that Kobayashi is in talks to race for Manor. Now then, as much as I like Kobayashi, I hope this doesn't happen. It'll simply show that he is too desperate to drive in F1. He turned down a factory deal to race for Ferrari in GT, which would have seen him racing competively against a very high level of competition. And what did he turn it down if favoured of? Oh yes that's right, to be dicked about with by Caterham who tried selling his drive on every other week despite him having funded it himself with his crowdfunding thing the year before.

No, he's better of sticking to Formula Nippon, or whatever it is.

Date: March 18, 2015 03:52PM
Posted by: marcl
Have to admit as soon as I heard about Manor racing I had a feeling Kobayashi would end up in the car.
Date: March 19, 2015 10:16PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Heart wrenching comments from Manor boss John Booth to French publication Auto Hebdo, talking about Jules.

“I think about Jules almost every day. I think about Jules, and I think he should be with us here with us to share our joy,” Booth said.

“We have not been able to put the cars on the track, but we have nonetheless won our fight. I so much wish for Jules to win his.

“Without him, without the two points he scored in Monaco last year, we would not be here. In the end, that is what convinced the new investors of the potential of the team.

“Being here is our way of saying to Jules that the race is not over until the checkered flag has fallen. We emerged from the worst ordeal Manor has ever known, and I have no doubt that Jules will succeed too.

“What we were able to rebuild during the winter shows that faith can move mountains. There is always hope as long as we believe in it.”

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: May 06, 2015 08:01PM
Posted by: Laton
The new Mclaren livery makes me want to vomit. Missed opportunity there.
Date: May 06, 2015 08:40PM
Posted by: Frantic
its incredibly awful, looks like it came out from a bad playstation 1 game

Date: May 06, 2015 09:48PM
The differing opinion from forum to forum is awesome. :D

Personally I think it's good (but a couple of thing keeps it from being stunning). We've done a near all-white grid, and since Force India went silver we've had them, Mercedes and McLaren either silver or chrome, so it's good to see a car that's essentially black. And black is good.
Date: May 06, 2015 10:11PM

It's just... what?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 10:13PM by Laton.
Date: May 06, 2015 11:31PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
I think it's gorgeous, personally...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: May 07, 2015 08:19AM
If the 2nd swoop on the nose was less prominent (or removed completely perhaps?) it would look much better in my opinion. To a lesser extent the if the drivers' number better than invisible it would improve it too.

But yeah, basically I like it. It's got seas more menace to it than the chrome thing, or certainly the last 2 versions of it.
Date: May 07, 2015 09:04AM
Pretty sure those pictures above don't match up, too.

How can you like it?? It's vile :P the stripes are all different widths and that band on the nose just makes it look ridiculous.

Should have gone with white. It was a no brainer. Wasted.
Date: May 07, 2015 09:31AM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Laton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> How can you like it??

Something about subjectivity, perhaps?

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: May 07, 2015 10:58AM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
I'm firmly in the "I think it's horrible" camp :(

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: May 10, 2015 01:27PM
Posted by: Muks_C
i was hoping for a livery change and was confused with the half black half chrome of pre-season testing and the first 4 races. i'd have preferred they go full chrome as with the MP4-29 pre-season livery, but that wouldn't have incorporated any Honda colours, and it's been revealed the chrome paint was too heavy. i don't mind this too much to be honest. red and white were essentially the Marlboro colours so they were never gonna go back to those.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: May 13, 2015 12:46AM
You known what? I am sick of Red Bull. I am sick of them complaining about Renault. I am sick of how they believe they're entitled to be competitive because they have money. I hate how they think they can force change in their favour by threatening to quit. They say they will quit if they do not get a competitive engine.

So, they take no joy from competing. All they care about is beating everyone else and if that isn't happening, it seems to be the fault of F1 not of Red Bull. They can't even beat their underfunded minnow team with two rookies.

They should just leave. They have done a lot for the sport, but would anyone actually miss them? Christian Horner is a prize bollock. Helmut Marko thinks he's Niki Lauda and the billionaire in the shadows still just sees the whole outfit as a marketing tool.

@#$%& 'em.
Date: May 13, 2015 09:38PM
Posted by: airefresco
I agree with you, but F1 and a lot of drivers would be damaged if they left. We'd lose 4 cars, Renault and 4 drivers, plus all the junior drivers with Redbull backing may no longer have that.
Date: September 16, 2015 08:17PM
Posted by: thestig88
Alexander Rossi to race in 5 of the remaining 7 races for Manor. Bummer for Mehri who only just canned his FR 3.5 season to focus more on his F1 campaign.
Date: November 30, 2015 12:15AM
Posted by: J i m
So F1 2015 is over and if I'm honest it hasn't been a particular exciting year, at least not by recent standards. I can't put my finger on it, maybe it's the regs but overall the teams have been too spaced out and the expected battle royal between Ferrari, Williams and Red Bull never materialised. I guess there's always plenty to talk about though.

Mercedes
Pretty much exactly as expected. Maintained 2014 performance advantage and with Hamilton holding Rosberg (who switched on far too late) at comfortable arms length to take a pretty easy championship. Singapore was baffling but apart from the odd flicker of a fight from Ferrari, Merc were peerless and to think I used to mock them for taking on ALL the technical directors.

I think Austin perfectly summed up the dynamic between to the two drivers. For the first time since they've teammates Rosberg put a move on Hamilton and actually made it stick, only to then make an inexplicable mistake and gift wrap the race and championship to Hamilton.

And dammit, I wish they'd be more flexible with strategy during the race. Let their drivers make a call to mix it up a bit.

Ferrari
The new team structure has been refreshingly likeable and Vettle has definitely been rejuvenated by the change of scenery. The team made a very real step forward from 14 to 15, and hence can't be ruled out from pushing Merc all the way in 16. Kimi needs to up his game though, the past two years he's been much too far behind his teammate to the extent that he's actually one of the weakest links in the field.

Williams
A comfortable 3rd in the constructors has to been seen as a success in their recent history. Yet, it's been frustrating. Some fairly fundamental weaknesses in the chassis has seen them slip firmly behind Ferrari, not to mention the infuriating pit-stop finger trouble. Beating Red Bull, the form team of the decade so far is indeed a formidable result but one has to wonder how much Renault contributed to that defeat. The drivers have generally got the most out of this package but it's difficult to see where Williams go from here. They lack the resource and infrastructural strength to really take on Merc and Ferrari. The low drag characteristic of the past two years has produced some good results but the resultant weaknesses in traction and short corners has left them vulnerable.

Red Bull
Top (or flop) of the politics this year. The Renault has certainly been a burden but there is no denying that the chassis was their weakest since 2008. Has Newey's scaled back involvement been the root cause? Is it just the natural cycle of F1? No dream team lasts forever. Mind you, they proved that they can still pull it together. The chassis weakness was systematically reduced throughout the year. Kyvat has also done a fine job, he's rarely spectacular but he's brought in the points just as well as Ricciardo. Considering Ricciardo beat Vettel with aplomb last year... that's no mean feat.

Force India
Considering the lateness of the car and all the off season difficulties, 5th in the constructors and ending on a performance par with Williams has been mightily impressive. You could almost forgive them their annoyingness towards Manor. Perez has also pretty much usurped Hulkenberg as the unsung talent bubbling beyond a top car.

Enstone
Have to feel for the buggers. They have no idea from race to race if they're going to be there or not. I wish Renault would put them out of their misery. The car has been respectable enough, but with virtually no development it was inevitable they'd be the weakest Merc team. Grosjean has carried the team well all season, his podium at Spa was the mustard. I have to say his move to fledgling Hass team is bold. I hope for his sake he doesn't become the next Timo Glock gambling his future on a start up team when he could have easily enough secured a drive with a midfield team. If it doesn't work out I'd envisage him ending up in Indycar.

Toro Rosso
Possibly let down by unreliability and Renault. A decent enough to little chassis but boy, their most exciting driver pairing yet.

Sauber
Not as bad as 2014 obviously... But lacking resources and technical strength. Symptomatic of F1's current inequalities.

McLaren Honda
Wow... How the mighty have fallen. Honda bit off more than they could chew, one can only hope that they're hiding some kind of miraculous winter improvement. Two things are clear here. Honda are struggling and Ronspeak is more irritating than ever. It's a shame, a real shame. Because the one thing they've got right is being wasted. Alonso - Button has been their strongest line up for a very long time. For all his grumpiness Alonso has never given up for a millisecond and Button has ran him closer than any teammate since Hamilton... And for anyone who doubts Button's worth.. when was the last time Alonso actually got out scored by a team-mate?

Well... Unless you count 2007, when he and Hamilton ended equal on points then until now Alonso had never been out scored by a teammate. Well done Jenson, well done.

Manor
Massive achievement being on the grid at all. Extremely encouraging that they are now seemingly secure with new technical partnerships with Mercedes and Williams. Massive shame to loose Booth and Lowdon. Will have a fight on their hands with Hass.

Date: December 01, 2015 08:58AM
Posted by: gareth
Great analysis Jim, couldn't disagree with too much there, especially the comments re RoGro. It could though be an inspired move - Enstone will feature a Renault engine next year rather than the Merc, and Haas has of course been Ferrari's development machine for this year ;)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy