Official 2014 Japanese Grand Prix Thread #ForzaJules

Posted by gav 
Devastating news :(, hope he can recover.

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018
Anyone else think we should rename this thread?...
Re: Official 2014 Japanese Grand Prix Thread #ForzaJules
Date: October 07, 2014 07:45PM
Posted by: gav
Fair point Laton. Done.
Date: October 07, 2014 07:53PM
Posted by: EC83
I didn't think it was in bad taste, since the thread was named long before anyone could've guessed how the race would unfold. But yeah, now you mention it, good point I guess.
#ForzaJules

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2014 07:59PM by EC83.
I know its inconsequential but the HANS device which is mandatory probably saved him.
xSilvermanx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hate me for saying this but Yellow Flags,
> especially Double Waved Yellow, means "slow
> down!". Nobody wants to blame Jules Bianchi for
> obvious reasons, but he was driving around that
> corner fast. #ForzaJules

Let's not forget that he was the 20th car to pass the crash site, and very unlikely to be the only one that went past it perhaps too fast. Of course in one of the poorest cars and as the conditions gradually got worse, he was not able to hold on to it. As I saw either here or at another forum, slowing cars down in yellow flag situations must be regulated as it is clear that drivers do not want to be one to give up more time to their rivals.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 07, 2014 09:19PM
Posted by: J i m
As bad as colliding with the recovery truck was, and as heavily damaged as the car was, recent reports suggest that Jules did not suffer any significant blow to the head. And this would tally up with pictures showing Jules unconscious in what was left of the car with a relatively unscathed crash helmet.

The biggest contributory factor to Jule's injury seems to be the sheer deceleration force. Remember he missed the tyre walls and hit the far less absorbing barriers in the access drive.

I just hope now he can go on. I know I sound ridiculous, but the sadness I'm feeling right now is undescribable, so I don't wanna know what I would feel if the worst happened. Hell, I was hoping for a Vettel-Bianchi lineup for Ferrari 2016. The wonders he did with the Marussia in his both years clearly show why he was (is) a member of the FDA.

It is extremely unlikely he'll ever race again, but he'll carry on, I'm sure! Go Jules!

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
SchueyFan schrieb:
> xSilvermanx Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I hate me for saying this but Yellow Flags,
> > especially Double Waved Yellow, means "slow
> > down!". Nobody wants to blame Jules Bianchi for
> > obvious reasons, but he was driving around that
> > corner fast. #ForzaJules
>
> Let's not forget that he was the 20th car to pass
> the crash site, and very unlikely to be the only
> one that went past it perhaps too fast. Of course
> in one of the poorest cars and as the conditions
> gradually got worse, he was not able to hold on to
> it. As I saw either here or at another forum,
> slowing cars down in yellow flag situations must
> be regulated as it is clear that drivers do not
> want to be one to give up more time to their
> rivals.

I don't forget that but humans will react most of the time to sth happening, FIA likewise as they are humans (believe it ...). If none of the drivers had crashed there so badly as Jules, nobody of us would be talking about drivers disrespecting Yellow Flags and everything else, about SC coming out everytime (Villeneuve) and all other ideas.

Quoting Gary Hartstein:

"At every F1 drivers briefing, the drivers hound Charlie for a number – “how fast can i go under yellows?” or “how fast under double yellows?”. Or even, “will I be penalised if I do 0.2 sec less than the last time thru that sector…”

THEY’RE MISSING THE POINT. AND BECAUSE WE’RE NOT INSISTING ENOUGH ON THE RIGHT ANSWER, BAD THINGS HAPPEN.

[...]

Before we start changing everything, wrapping JCB’s in tech pro, putting SC’s out every time someone’s in the armco, let’s correctly apply the spectacularly effective safety system already in place. And let’s start by making sure drivers actually respect the SPIRIT (“be prepared to stop”) and not the LETTER (“how many tenths down do I have to be to not get a stop-go penalty?”) of the safety regulations.

Oh and one last thing: please Jules, get better fast."
Direct link: [formerf1doc.wordpress.com]
Link to his blog: [formerf1doc.wordpress.com]

My opinion on this is "Code 60", maybe adapted to "Code 100" because of F1s' much bigger speed than Touring Cars at Nurburgring. If necessary, e.g. in wet conditions in such a fast corner, Race Control might call for Code 100. Flag is shown (steering wheel / Marshall Posts [MP]) quite a bit before the crash site for the first time, then a second time. From that point on, the speed limit is active. So e.g. MP12 in this case had green flag out. So MP11 shows Yellow Flag. Now starting from MP12 going to MP12 speed limit is 100kph. Depending on the gaps between the MPs it's either MP9 or MP10 showing the appropriate flag, so the drivers have time to break.
Something like this has to be introduced, and introduced fast.

Also 20 cars passed the crash site in that conditions, most likely ALL of them too fast? I think we can be lucky that only one driver crashed!

To Morbid: I didn't say you troll. What I read from you was a some points somewhat a troll. What I did say indeed is that you are regarded as a troll, see gav's reaction (both times) to you. But I'm completely with you here. Gav is trolling by ignoring valid points made with one remark that you explained to him immediately. Also he's ignoring a post that I found very convincing apart from what I already mentioned.

It's completely correct that I shouldn't point the finger at Bianchi. Or better, at Bianchi alone. Every driver is responsible for his actions and will influence the others by how he drives. This time everyone chose to ignore the Double Waved Yellow, Bianchi got a bad end. But pointing the finger at the FIA or Race Control is simply wrong. They didn't do a big error and they can't be held responsible for securing the corner in a correct way.

Regarding Engstler at Pau we may both have a point there. SC mustn't do anything like this but I didn't know Engstler was still driving full. Tbh I wasn't focusing on him but rather on the SC.
J i m Wrote:
> As bad as colliding with the recovery truck was,
> and as heavily damaged as the car was, recent
> reports suggest that Jules did not suffer any
> significant blow to the head. And this would tally
> up with pictures showing Jules unconscious in what
> was left of the car with a relatively unscathed
> crash helmet.
>
> The biggest contributory factor to Jule's injury
> seems to be the sheer deceleration force. Remember
> he missed the tyre walls and hit the far less
> absorbing barriers in the access drive.

That's right, I seem to recall reading that that kind of injury tends to be a result of massive decelleration as opposed to a blow to the head. I seem to recall Richard Hammond suffering a similar injury when he had his own life-threatening accident. Based on him, I pray that there's still hope for Jules

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2014 10:13PM by smoglessbutton4.
Date: October 07, 2014 11:35PM
Posted by: Laton
EC83 Wrote:
> I didn't think it was in bad taste, since the
> thread was named long before anyone could've
> guessed how the race would unfold. But yeah, now
> you mention it, good point I guess.
> #ForzaJules

Of course it wasn't, it's just that the crash looked like a kamikaze so I thought we should change it :)
Date: October 10, 2014 02:59AM
Posted by: flying
MotoGP Champ Valentino Rossi had this to say & I agree.....
Mainly I have no problem with the cars, the race,flags etc.

But if a crane is brought into a run off area of course SC deployed or more

Valention Rossi
“With respect to Bianchi, I’m so sorry, because I met him once at Maddona di Campiglio.
He is a very nice, young guy with great talent and it is a real shame.
He has had very bad luck, because the truck should not have been in the run-off area.
It was probably a mistake,
because if a crane is working on a run-off area they should stop the race or at least bring out the safety car.”
Date: October 10, 2014 09:00AM
Posted by: Morbid
A pretty cheap comment, when you come from a sport, where recovery vehicles hardly are used.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
I have to disagree with Valentino as well. People may be ignoring what video I've linked here in this thread. This one, to be exact: [www.youtube.com]
But don't. If you disagree with me on the SC-issue, try to tell me why the linked video doesn't cry for a Safety Car WAY more than the Sutil-crash.
Date: October 10, 2014 12:45PM
Posted by: Morbid
Since I have not made a case for that episode requiring an SC, and at no point have I involved it in any of my arguments here, I don't have to defend it.

As for the statement made by Valentino, it relies on some basic assumptions.

1) That he has a qualified insight into how F1 works
2) That there is a safety issue that must be adressed, which is not present in MotoGP.
3) That what he is used to from MotoGP will work in F1.

I can flip the example, and illustrate why I think it is a cheap shot, by using a similar argument in reverse.

1) That F1 driver X has qualified insight into how MotoGP works
2) That there is a entertainment issue that must be addressed, that is not present in F1
3) That what X is used to from F1 will work in MotoGP.

So F1 driver X states, that in order to provide better entertainment and more unpredictable races, tyre strategies should be incorporated into MotoGP, with a mandatory change of tyres, so that two specifications are used in each race, wet races excluded (changing to the spare bike does not fulfill this requirement).

Exactly same type of argument, based on the exact same type of premises... but not really such a great idea for the spectacle. The basic problem, is that premise 1 is lacking in both cases, due to far too much reliance on premise 3.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: October 10, 2014 06:53PM
Posted by: marcl
If they do bring out a SC for every yellow flag etc they better get rid of this restart rule then or it will just get stupid.
Date: October 10, 2014 07:47PM
Posted by: Laton
There was no SC needed for Alonso in Malaysia because it was on lap 1, rest of the field had already gone through and there were no cars to go off on that corner.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy