Official 2014 Italian Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS with minimal downforce***

Posted by EC83 
I've really enjoyed watching Perez racing this year. He's ragged but entertaining and not getting eclipsed by the Hulk as I expected.

Mclaren were fools to let him go.
Well that was weird...

Classic wheel-to-wheel action = penalty
Slicing opponent's tyre = OK

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
great race by lewis, hats off!

but in my personal opinion those merc. policies just melted rosber'g spsychology completely!! never I have seen him make a mistake - especially this season in the battle with lewis. And today he did two of them on - let's be honest - silly places. Even maldonado didnt misjudje that first chicane.

you can see that he is in a very bad place mentally now, rosberg, making mistakes, crowd booing him, his own team fining him etc. I cannot see him win this chamionship - as predetermined as this may sound. he is slower, and he is in a wrong place mentally. 22 points are nothing nowadays. Especially when you are fighting for 1st and 2nd only with your teammate and no one can get involved.

you have to admire rosberg's attempts to win back the fans - even talking italian in front of the tiffossi (youcan see it helped a bit and calmed down the boos for a while), but still - it looks too bad for nico, i believe.
Morbid
Well that was weird...

Classic wheel-to-wheel action = penalty
Slicing opponent's tyre = OK

We don't know what was said in the drivers briefing, but my view on this was Bottas gave Magnussen plenty of space earlier in the race when Magnussen overtook him, but Magnussen just drove him off when the opposite was true.

It's not a boy's sport, but certainly the respect wasn't mutual today. Perhaps a penalty was a touch harsh, but he chose to ignore the sporting option.

It was odd with Button/Perez as it could be viewed the same way, but I guess as Perez came out ahead anyway it was less of an issue (it could be argued Perez gained an advantage cutting the chicane though - I don't think he'd have been able to make the chicane with the speed he was carrying with Button on the inside). Maybe they viewed it that neither gained an advantage and they cancelled themselves out somewhat.
Yes good race.
Lewis faulty start software hurt initially

But when his engineer later said ok just sit back & ride @ -2.5 sec race at the end I thought
Oh yeah like that is going to happen lol

That dicing between Perez & Button was some awesome close wheel action loved it!

Riccardo also had 2 nice passes

Overall pretty good race

Nico? I thought it odd not once but twice on the chicane drive thru
The 1st time totally with no pressure.
The 2nd time at least there was pressure

If not for the 1st chicane error I would almost think it was a pay back order
but 2x..........pressure I guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2014 04:20PM by flying.
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Well that was weird...
>
> Classic wheel-to-wheel action = penalty
> Slicing opponent's tyre = OK
>
>
> We don't know what was said in the drivers
> briefing, but my view on this was Bottas gave
> Magnussen plenty of space earlier in the race when
> Magnussen overtook him, but Magnussen just drove
> him off when the opposite was true.
>
> It's not a boy's sport, but certainly the respect
> wasn't mutual today. Perhaps a penalty was a
> touch harsh, but he chose to ignore the sporting
> option.

It's a lot easier to be generous when you have a 20-30 kph advantage in overtaking. One of them is an established driver with a secure contract, the other is not. So some of that is a result of the performance and other conditions that the two racers had to deal with. But if you want to press the issue, that there was an unequality in sporting graciousness, I don't mind allowing you that. But that is for the drivers to discuss after the race. I'd still hold it is not up to the FIA to police sporting generousitity, but actual incidents. After all, they didn't even review the incident between Grosjean and Bianchi, and that was a regular dive-bomb that resulted in contact.

IMHO, this is not crowding, and if it is, we are going to have a lot more boring races in the future:

> It was odd with Button/Perez as it could be viewed
> the same way, but I guess as Perez came out ahead
> anyway it was less of an issue (it could be argued
> Perez gained an advantage cutting the chicane
> though - I don't think he'd have been able to make
> the chicane with the speed he was carrying with
> Button on the inside). Maybe they viewed it that
> neither gained an advantage and they cancelled
> themselves out somewhat.

One could add the Ricciardo/Alonso battle too. The only difference was the overtaking car decided to use the brake instead of going off track, which was an option that was equally open to Bottas.

Delighted for Massa, dissapointed for Ferrari and mind-blowed by Bottas.

Massa finally did what he should've done ages ago: take advantage of his machinery. He could have had plenty of podiums but either his mistakes, strategy or sheer bad luck have kept him from being higher up in the WDC. He might still be behind his teammate, but it's absolutely nothing like Ferrari. He's far closer here.

Sad for Ferrari, I really don't like Alonso but I was gutted to see him let down by the car for the first time in 4 years. At least Kimi managed to score two points, but that's an unacceptable performance in Monza. The F14T is a true heir to the F92A.

And oh my f*****g god, what was that white thing? It's Bottas! His pace was unbelievable mid-race, shame the harder tyres didn't suit the car. And mainly, shame he had such a terrible start. He could take advice from Massa, an already acknowledged awesome starter, even after his crash. But Valtteri is serious stuff. Will Williams end its 17-year drought?

As for Mags, it was just good ol' hard racing. Had this happened in IndyCar, they would've said "Deal with it" ;-)

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Carlitox Wrote:
> Delighted for Massa, dissapointed for Ferrari and
> mind-blowed by Bottas.

Agreed. I think Bottas will be World Champion one day, and if his rate of development continues like this, it could be more than once.

Also, hero of the day has to be Kvyat. That front brake failure was very well saved. I don't even understand how he didn't end up crashing. It could easily have taken out multiple cars.

More worrying, the Rosberg fans are already launching the theory, that Rosberg dropped the race on purpose under orders from Merc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2014 05:29PM by Morbid.
itis good to see that he has fans at least. doesn't look like that on the podiums
Hamilton was just stronger this weekend, and I guess there was no harm in Rosberg pushing in trying to keep ahead as there was little risk from behind. Once Ericsson get in the way it was looking spicy, so it's a shame we were deprived of a genuine battle.

It was a great race from Hamilton. Well deserved after the issues after the practice start.

Another cracking race from Ricciardo. Horner said on the BBC during the race that they'd split the strategy with him and Vettel and that it would be close at the end, and I doubted him that Ricciardo would be able to get near Vettel, but Ricciardo made it happen, and with a couple of excellent moves too.

Best car control of the season from Kyvat. That would have had his eyes on stalks.
Before his hero save, Kvyat drove a hell of a race from last to a likely points finish. That lad keeps reminding me how wrong I was about him. Proof that not all pay drivers are bad, maybe in some years he'll be able to switch from pay to paid.

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Kyvat a pay driver? What on earth are you on about?
Vettel got a new car for Monza, as the team had found chassis problems with the old car in quality control. That is a genuine problem, that explains the lack of performance from Vettel. Yet Ricciardo still managed to beat him today. I dunno if Vettel has lost confidence, or what's going on now. Surely he should have adapted to the new regs by now.

Some Rosberg fans are pushing the theory that Hamilton broke team orders, when he kept up the pressure on Rosberg, against the advice of his race engineer.

In turn some Hamilton fans are claiming that the failure of the electrical components of the engine on Hamilton's car was Merc's way of helping Rosberg, and that the advice to hang back was in the same line, as it would ensure that the battle would happen on worn tyres.

Although it seems strange to me, that Hamilton keeps having these failures on his car, all these theories seem pretty far fetched to me. But it looks like even if Merc manage to heal the team, the fan base is probably going to stay polarized.

Given Toto's evil smile when Hamilton overtook Rosberg, I doubt he wants Rosberg to win... that and common sense.

I'm bored of (mostly Brits) claiming the German team are helping the plastic German win. How many foreign drivers are driven against a Brit in a British car, but because there was no internet there was no widespread conspiracy theories? I'd bet half of those complaining weren't even born when Patrese was getting the lion's share of the issue at Williams in 1992.
gav Wrote:
> Given Toto's evil smile when Hamilton overtook
> Rosberg, I doubt he wants Rosberg to win... that
> and common sense.

I saw that too, and found it pretty revealing, and TBH not very shrewd. Maybe he has a particular personal preference, but as long as no clear pecking order has been established by the team, then it would be proper to at least act neutral.

> I'm bored of (mostly Brits) claiming the German team
> are helping the plastic German win. How many foreign
> drivers are driven against a Brit in a British car, but
> because there was no internet there was
> no widespread conspiracy theories? I'd
> bet half of those complaining weren't even born
> when Patrese was getting the lion's share of the
> issue at Williams in 1992.

That would probably a very safe bet. When I look at the "driver topics" on Autosport, there seems to be a clear main consensus in polls, but about half of the post in the threads are all over the place. That's the internet for you, it gives equal space to reasoned and tempered arguments and wild conspiracy theorists. And it is not just brits. I see it with the ton of new Danish F1 fans, that don't have a clue what they are talking about.

interestingly toto wolf firmly denied that he has a preference (what else could he have said) and seemed pretty annoyed when lazenby asked him about it.

@gav

you are right that nico made a mistake while he was pushing. But you did not get my point. My point is that rosberg didn't use to make mistakes under pressure (austira; monaco) or while pressuring (spain; bahrain ).

You base your argument on the fact that rosberg screwed because he was pushing, but then again so was everybody else. And the only other driver to make a mistake while pushing was chilton.

In a nutshell, rosberg was pushing just as hard before, and got pushed just as hard by lewis, but rosberg wasnt making those silly errors back then. The internal team policies once again play a role, and this time, sadly (for his fans), against nico. It was ridiculous to point the finger at rosberg immediately after the spa-race and to fine him. The last time I saw a team that firmly attacking one of their drivers was at RBRs back in 2010 after the Turkish GP. And we all know too well that there was a preferred driver in the team back then.
Rosberg and Wolff have denied the conspiracy theories. I doubt it will do much for the conspiracy theorists though.

[www.autosport.com]

Bottas has reservations about the KM penalty:

[www.autosport.com]

Pretty good race again, it's been an excellent season for the actual racing so far.

So, it seems that the Mercs held back the bickering long enough to capitalise on the natural car advantage and claim the corporate 1-2. Hamilton was simply plainly quicker than Rosberg this weekend, but I disagree that Rosberg hasn't made mistakes this year, he's actually made quite a few pressure mistakes, only that so far they haven't cost him.

It's nice that Massa finally got a clean race and result in the bag if only for his confidence, having both Williams up at the sharp end will be useful in the race with Ferrari for 3rd in the constructors. It was a good recovery drive by Bottas, slightly helped by the straight line speed advantage of the Williams but he still had to make it count. Only really Magussen put up a defence. (The others moved early and he simply waltzed through on the over speed).

Magussen ought to have a little chat with Grosjean and Perez, for he seems to be getting the brunt of the peer criticism/penalties at the moment. I think his chicane incident with Bottas was naughty but not really worthy of the penalty in the context of the more lenient race control of late, but as DC & McNish pointed out it's the late and sudden moves deep into the braking zones which are more worrisome. I'm sure he'll come good soon though, the potential is there for all to see and he seems to have the measure of Button for the last few weekends.

Superb save by Kyvat, and an excellent performance in general, his reflexes saved what could have been a horrific accident, whilst Gutierrez was simply and stupidly clumsy for minimal reason.

Yet another exemplary drive by Riccardo... Those overtaking moves in a car which was supposed to be off the pace of all the Merc cars, just emense. Driver of the day, infact he along with Bottas have been the drivers of the season so far for me.

Cracking race. This season just keeps churning out thrillers. Has Formula 1 ever prod cues better racing? Not in my time.

Morbid, your mentioned Seb earlier, he actually lost out badly late on as he was the first of the front runners to stop for tyres. Lap 19 I think it was. Ricciardo stopped around seven laps later and took it easy early in the stint so he could blitz late on, as he did so successfully. By that stage Vettel's tyres were stuffed and he actually did well to keep Button at bay. Ricciardo though was very accomplished. Took a tricky strategy and pulled it off to distinction,

Jim, agree with your points almost universally across the board. Valtteri and Dan have been the revelations of the season. This time last year Bottas was still yet to score points in F1. It's quite incredible really. Consider K-Mag's evident promise and Vandoorne and Lello in GP2 and Formula 1's future looks bright.

It's late and I've got a long haul drive back from Milan to face in a few hours so I'm not sure if it has been mentioned but did anyone else watch Kvyat?

Started plum last but best Vergne and only just missed out on points after that big moment down at the Rettifilio. That car control was quite something. The lads quiet, but very, very good. Russian motorsport finally has it poster boy.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
gav Wrote:
> Given Toto's evil smile when Hamilton overtook
> Rosberg, I doubt he wants Rosberg to win... that
> and common sense.
>
> I'm bored of (mostly Brits) claiming the German
> team are helping the plastic German win. How many
> foreign drivers are driven against a Brit in a
> British car, but because there was no internet
> there was no widespread conspiracy theories? I'd
> bet half of those complaining weren't even born
> when Patrese was getting the lion's share of the
> issue at Williams in 1992.

Could not agree more. There is no way a team would on purpose break a car or cause problems. Berger in 1989 broke down in every single race but 3 I think it was, Mansell finished a lot more. Berger at Mclaren Senna would be winning, berger would be parked up. No one ever said they were breaking his cars. Williams, prost would be winning Hill again would be parked.

It happens its sods law and its part of the sport.

Lewis has had worse luck but next year it could be Nico that has the problems.

Lewis though will probably need a new engine soon he has no new ones left and Nico has one brand new one so he is going to take a penalty at some point. This was said in Sky btw.

Also what has happened to Nico H he is just no where, Perez is doing a much better job.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2014 01:19PM by marcl.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy