Official 2014 Belgian Grand Prix thread ***SPOILERS with monkey seats***

Posted by smoglessbutton4 
Incident 2k9 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Lotterer couldn't
> make it past the first lap...the guy was awesome
> this weekend.

does that remind you of any other driver's race debut in F1? (hint: it was back in 1991)
Morbid Wrote:
> That said, my personal opinion is, that he knew
> that Hamilton was too fast, and he feared that if
> he didn't reign him in now, he would never get the
> chance again. Remember the episode in qualifying,
> where even though Hamilton messed up the braking
> at T1 in qualifying, he still managed to beat
> Nico's split time for the first sector. He messed
> up bus stop, costing him a second or so, and still
> managed fastest lap too. And Lewis gave Nico a
> great run for his money with glazed brake pads.

this is a very interesting point you make, indeed. Once hamilton was ahed of rosberg (and to add to rosberg's misery vettel was in second), I thought that is it. Lewis has the position, has the bottleneck-vettel, and was clearly faster all weekend (by a massive .6 in FP2 when they make race simulations).

Then 4km later, nico is right on his tale, and, let's be honest, had nico had DRS, he would be gone. So, if hamilton indeed had the better race pace, how did he never manage to build a gap? One could posit he was saving the car, but still, we all know the first two laps are crucial in order to break out of the DRS zone, and that everyone is pushing mostly then. I, honestly, believe Nico should have waited. He seemed to have the measure of Lewis at this point of the race indeed.

And this does seem logical and consistent too. Looking at several other races (Spain e.g.), nico was indeed slower in qualy, but faster than Lewis in race trim.

Finally, I do not get all the fuzz around giving nico a penalty. Even andrew benson posted a column on this topic at bbc.co.uk/f1. The truth is, no one apart from Merc. can penalize rosberg, especially since the FIA do not have any data against him, apart from media statements and lewis' comments.
mitadumapaga Wrote:
> Incident 2k9 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> Lotterer couldn't
> > make it past the first lap...the guy was
> awesome
> > this weekend.
>
> does that remind you of any other driver's race
> debut in F1? (hint: it was back in 1991)

There are a number of similarities; a German driver debuting at Spa in a green car. In addition, Bertrand Gachot was instrumental in both drivers' debuts, and they both previously drove German sportscars before F1.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
mitadumapaga Wrote:
> this is a very interesting point you make, indeed.

Thank you.

> Once hamilton was ahed of rosberg (and to add to
> rosberg's misery vettel was in second), I thought
> that is it. Lewis has the position, has the
> bottleneck-vettel, and was clearly faster all
> weekend (by a massive .6 in FP2 when they make
> race simulations).
>
> Then 4km later, nico is right on his tale, and,
> let's be honest, had nico had DRS, he would be
> gone. So, if hamilton indeed had the better race
> pace, how did he never manage to build a gap?

I don't know how the race paces had panned out, but sure, at the least the idea "hey I got more pace on him than I thought I would" should be possible.

> One
> could posit he was saving the car, but still, we
> all know the first two laps are crucial in order
> to break out of the DRS zone, and that everyone is
> pushing mostly then.

One could posit that, but I agree that it is very unlikely. Lewis would want that gap. I believed he pushed. Perhaps too hard, and that was why he didn't get that gap. Both drivers certainly feel the pressure of the other. But we will never know.

> I, honestly, believe Nico
> should have waited. He seemed to have the measure
> of Lewis at this point of the race indeed.

I believe he should have waited too. It is the more mature and sensible strategy. And when the mob draw comparisons between Lewis and Nico, that is in fact what he is heralded for. The bold, risky and impatient moves are attributed to Lewis.

> And this does seem logical and consistent too.
> Looking at several other races (Spain e.g.), nico
> was indeed slower in qualy, but faster than Lewis
> in race trim.

Indeed.

> Finally, I do not get all the fuzz around giving
> nico a penalty. Even andrew benson posted a column
> on this topic at bbc.co.uk/f1. The truth is, no
> one apart from Merc. can penalize rosberg,
> especially since the FIA do not have any data
> against him, apart from media statements and
> lewis' comments.

We remember well the clash between Kimi and Magnusson, where we had the exact same result. Magnusson was penalized, had penalty points added to his license, and the mob cried "Rookie impatience and overly aggressive", even though Kimi slid out and LOST the racing line. Quite funny that two similar moves warrant so different verdicts in the public opinion. That is not so with Race Control. The drivers themselves lamented that even the smallest clash was penalized as "avoidable collision". Hence a new enforcement policy was issued a few races ago, and following that, one might disagree with race controls verdict, but it was well within their mandate.

Btw, Toto Wolff has confirmed that Lewis' account of Nico's phrasing was accurate, but misconstrued by the press.

Autosport article

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2014 01:51AM by Morbid.
Belgian GP: Wolff says Rosberg's crash comments were misinterpreted
By Jonathan Noble and Matt Beer Sunday, August 24th 2014, 17:31 GMT

Mercedes Formula 1 team boss Toto Wolff believes Nico Rosberg's comments about his Belgian Grand Prix collision with Lewis Hamilton have been misconstrued.

The 2014 F1 title battle erupted into a new controversy at Spa when Hamilton alleged that Rosberg had admitted to deliberately triggering their lap-two tangle to "prove a point".

But while confirming that Hamilton's account of Rosberg's phrasing was correct, Wolff said the German was suggesting he had simply not backed down when they were wheel-to-wheel, rather than confessing to deliberately hitting his team-mate and championship rival.

"Nico felt he needed to hold his line. He needed to make a point, and for Lewis, it was clearly not him who needed to be aware of Nico," said Wolff.

"[Rosberg] didn't give in. He thought it was for Lewis to leave him space, and that Lewis didn't leave him space.

"So they agreed to disagree in a very heated discussion amongst ourselves, but it wasn't deliberately crashing. That is nonsense."

Although he dismissed the allegation that Rosberg had hit Hamilton on purpose, Wolff said that did not mean his fury towards his driver had subsided.

"It doesn't change the scenario at all because the incident, as I see it, is not acceptable for us," he said.

"What we saw there was that Nico was not prepared to take the exit, and that caused the collision.

"That is not something we want to happen.

"We had a collision that could have been avoided, a second-lap collision, it was Nico who attacked and he shouldn't have done it.

"It was also to show he was not prepared to give in.

"With hindsight, if he could turn back time, Nico would probably not do it again in the way he did."

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
smoglessbutton4 Wrote:
> Hang on a sec... I've realised something! :-O
>

Nope. This is Nico's definition of "Lewis left me no space!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2014 03:26AM by Morbid.
Hahah at the end of the day it was a great race ;-)

I sort of feel sorry for Daniel Ricciardo
Here he is doing great 2 wins in a row & today's headlines as always are 99.999% about
Hamilton & Rosberg :(

That aside I would say purely a racing incident
A stupid one fueled by emotion & nerves but still I do not think deliberate
as any driver at the rear is not expecting he can do damage to the front car alone.
I do not think Rosberg or any driver contesting the WC would want to risk losing a front wing or worse

Yet he felt the need to stuff it up on lap 2 & probably just nerves/excitement to get to the front asap
before Lewis gets on a pace.

But mainly agree with Wolff whom I respect for his opinion as principal as well as being there
with all the tools to see & judge what happened when it happened
As he said "unacceptable" period. Not good for the team & not good for the drivers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2014 04:02AM by flying.

As you can see, no space. No space at all.

I still think it's a massive over reaction.

It's an over reaction on the part of Niki and Toto,
It's an over reaction on the part of booing spectators
It's an over reaction on the part of the media, who always stir things up
And it's the patented "OMFGZ INTERNETZ" mountain out of a molehill as it always with the smallest of issues.

This has been turned into a soap opera, in fact I'm half surprised that the Eastenders theme didn't replace the chain on the ending credits ;)

It's a racing incident pure and simple. Nico got a run, but didn't make it stick because Lewis placed his car defensively, effectively and fairly. He did make a movement to close Nico's space out, but by then the corner was clearly his and all Nico needed to do to avoid contact was to micro lift and dab on the brake pedal. There was need at all what so ever for the escape road.

In this instance Lewis, on-track behaviour was correct, but problem with him is that he thinks he's always right even when he's a little (or very wrong) and he's almost never the one to back out of the wheel to wheel dice even when sense dictates that he should be. Up until now he thinks he's had the measure of Nico in that area, but it seems that Nico had had up to here with the 'holier than thou' ethos of Lewis and is no longer prepared to back out when wheel to wheel.

Now, let's flash back to 2011... The last time Lewis met a driver equally unwilling to concede in the wheel to wheel stakes, and it resulted in a series of increasingly pointless and hilarious collisions with Felipe Massa. I think, in a way this is Nico's point. He's got Bahrain on his mind, he's saying "ok if that's the way you want to race, that's fine, but it takes two to tango and sometimes you'll come of worse".

Neither Lewis or Nico can afford for this to happen because Ricciardo will seize the smallest of opportunities to exploit any weakness in the Merc camp especially if Nico and Lewis continue to trip each other up.

I think it's a shame that Nico seems to be getting villainised. He's stepped up to the championship fight, this ought to be applauded. If he'd have meekly melted away against Lewis he'd have simply been lampooned as weak instead. But society being what it is.. apparently he's now the pantomime villain.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2014 10:27AM by J i m.
I too would vote for a racing incident, while Rosberg could have avoided the incident by simply backing off, I think Hamilton could have avoided it as well. It's nothing like Prost and Senna-clashes like this one: [www.youtube.com]

Beforehand: Note that I'd never Lewis for causing the collision. It's just a possibility.

So, look at Morbid's gif 2 posts above mine. What I think is Nico has to back off to avoid the collision. I think he didn't want to back off but wouldn't straightly turn into Lewis (that's the swerve you can notice before Nico turns in). Front Wing vs Rear tyre does look like it wasn't done on purpose for me, an accident that happens if two drivers can't stand each other. But if Lewis chose a slightly wider line for the second corner, the incident wouldn't have happened or in a different manner. By driving a bit more to the middle of the track, Lewis wouldn't have offered Nico his rear wheel for a collision, also as he was accelerating faster than him, the second corner would have been his. If Nico wanted to hit him and consequently hit him in the second corner, it'd have been fully and clearly visible Nico's fault in a Maldonado vs Gutierrez @ Bahrain-type incident (though not necessarily the rolling). Even a disqualification wouldn't have been unthinkable in such a situation. Never ever, even if Lewis changed his line a tiny bit, would have Nico been able to pass him in the second corner.
xSilvermanx Wrote:
> it's nothing like Prost and
> Senna-clashes

You know, I've been trying to imagine today what it'd have like following the Prost v Senna rivalry with today's extent of media coverage combined with modern internet social networking because I genuinely can not remember a rivalry between two drivers building up to this degree of tension and bitterness since then, although many have been hyped up.

Hill v Schumacher
Alonso v Hamilton
Webber v Vettel

They all pale in comparison to what's stewing between Rosberg and Hamilton at the moment.

I think if Merc retain the same line-up into the next seasons then they'll be crying out for another team to step up-to the plate to take the focus from the internal fight back out into the external one.

Nico posted a small blog on FB
Does not say much tho

[www.facebook.com]
xSilvermanx Wrote:
> Never ever, even if Lewis changed his
> line a tiny bit, would have Nico been able to pass
> him in the second corner.

But that is the exact point. If you cannot pass in the next corner, and you are not already halfway along side the other car, then the right of way belongs to your opponent. Reason then dictates, that Rosberg HAS to yield. The other driver has a right to assume he will do so, and that has nothing to do with inflated egos or entitlement. If you wish, you can then argue, that Lewis should use his practical reason and actually DO check if Rosberg yielded. But strictly speaking, he is not required to.

We can demonstrate this easily, by changing two simple factors. We extended the time to think and react, and we increase the potiental consquences. If you transpose this situation to the very start of the track, then you have driver-behind getting a good run on driver-infront on the start finish straight. Driver-behind gets side by side on the outside of driver-infront through T1, but doesn't make it stick, and he has no hope of an improved chance of overtaking in the near future. They then proceed downhill to Eau Rogue. Would driver-behind be justified in having his wing alongside the rear of driver-infront at entry to Eau Rogue? No, and if we saw somone do that, we would think it was utter madness, because of the potential consequences of such a move! But it is the same move, bound by the same rules of right of way! All we have done is extend reaction and thinking time, and upped the consequences.

Would it be prudent for driver-infront to check of driver-behind has his wing at his rear wheel at point of turn in? Sure, but we would in no way say he is obligated to do so. He has a right to expect that he can use a normal turn in.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2014 08:13PM by Morbid.
Is it just me or is Nico red-eyed after the race? Was this before or after the meeting?

[www.bbc.co.uk]

I have to say, I don't want Lewis to win this world championship. He's a brilliant racer who is fun to watch, but the sense of entitlement (like Vettel) he has just grates on me too much. That has nothing to do with what happened on lap 2, but the overall result is that Nico is now in an advantageous position. He's a driver I've always liked and until recently has been very mild mannered.

If he wins this title he will, in my opinion, deserve it more than Lewis would. And that has to be fair, right?
Laton Wrote:
> Is it just me or is Nico red-eyed after the race?
> Was this before or after the meeting?
>
> [www.bbc.co.uk]

I believe that he had something going on with one of his eyes before the race. I remember that was pointed out in an interview with him, that I saw before qualifying.

> I have to say, I don't want Lewis to win this
> world championship. He's a brilliant racer who is
> fun to watch, but the sense of entitlement (like
> Vettel) he has just grates on me too much. That
> has nothing to do with what happened on lap 2, but
> the overall result is that Nico is now in an
> advantageous position. He's a driver I've always
> liked and until recently has been very mild
> mannered.
>
> If he wins this title he will, in my opinion,
> deserve it more than Lewis would. And that has to
> be fair, right?

The sportsmanship code is, may the best man win, understood as sporting effort. Fairness, understood as personal charisma, has nothing to do with it. If you look at WWE, then popularity determines the plot lines, and hence the match outcomes and championships. That is why it is not a sport.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2014 08:42PM by Morbid.
Jim's already mentioned it, I'm genuinely not trying to make a point here and there's little in common apart from the basic contact (and the rules have been relaxed since anyway).

Quite interesting looking back at the old thread though.
I'd like to echo Edd Straw's conclusion, from his analysis of the situation:

Analysis: Rosberg guilty, but not really a villain

Edd Straw
The great scraps for the world championship are often contentious. While Rosberg was guilty of questionable reasoning and should have backed out of his move, he had attempted a legitimate, but optimistic passing bid and profited from it far more than he could ever have hoped. This is not the crime some make it out to be.

As for Hamilton, his unhappiness with what had happened was completely understandable. He certainly did nothing wrong and knows that even four consecutive victories would not necessarily allow him to regain the championship lead.

Only time will tell how lap two of the Belgian Grand Prix will really affect the world championship. But Hamilton's response when asked whether he could trust Nico if they head into the first chicane at Monza wheel to wheel underlined that this could be a turning point in relations inside Mercedes.

"I'll have to make sure we are not wheel to wheel."

Despite what Ed says, it's very much still in Hamilton's hands. Indeed if, and I'm using very robotic methods here, he beats Rosberg into 2nd in the remaining races, he'll win the title by a tidy 27 points.

A quick totting up suggests Hamilton can still afford to finish 2nd to Rosberg in two of the last seven races assuming one of those wins is in Abu Dhabi.

It's highly unlikely to ever be that straight forward, but if he gets his head down and uses the energy of from Spa, he's still got a very strong chance of winning. Now Lewis has got to show us how mentally tough he has become.d uses the energy of from Spa, he's still got a very strong chance of winning. Now Lewis has got to show us how mentally tough he has become.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2014 11:52PM by gav.
gav Wrote:
> Despite what Ed says, it's very much still in
> Hamilton's hands. Indeed if, and I'm using very
> robotic methods here, he beats Rosberg into 2nd in
> the remaining races, he'll win the title by a tidy
> 27 points.

I have not done the math, but I'll take your word for it.

> A quick totting up suggests Hamilton can still
> afford to finish 2nd to Rosberg in two of the last
> seven races assuming one of those wins is in Abu
> Dhabi.

It's a travesty it is so, but that is an entirely different discussion.

I agree entirely, I hate it, but it is what it is and that's the rules they'll have to play by. :(
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy