Date: August 18, 2014 11:00PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Massive gamble for him.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Re: Verstappen to STR in 2015
Date: August 18, 2014 11:04PM
Posted by: gav
Considering Jos was thrown in at the deepest of deepest ends and it probably damaged the rest of his career, you'd think he'd advise his son differently.

Good luck to him as he'll need spades of it.

Toro Rosso's most experienced driver next season in 20 - and that's 3 years older than his teammate. Nuts.
Date: August 19, 2014 02:48AM
Posted by: EC83
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Considering Jos was thrown in at the deepest of
> deepest ends and it probably damaged the rest of
> his career, you'd think he'd advise his son
> differently.
>
> Good luck to him as he'll need spades of it.
>
> Toro Rosso's most experienced driver next season
> in 20 - and that's 3 years older than his
> teammate. Nuts.

You'd also think Toro Rosso would've learned from starting Jaime in F1 so early, which arguably damaged him as a driver too.

Maybe Kvyat's performance this year has helped convince them to give this a go.
Still, as much as I'm a fan of new talent getting a chance in F1... Jeez!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2014 02:54AM by EC83.
Date: August 19, 2014 10:24AM
Posted by: marcl
I also think its far to early for him and tbh could be a danger to the rest.

Its not due to his age its due to a lack of single seater racing, Kimi was in the same situation but atleast had a few years in a car.

I worry for him, he could end up the same as his dad.
Date: August 19, 2014 01:59PM
Posted by: Laton
There's always going to be the question (quite a valid one) of experience.

When Jos started his career it was only his 50th car race, period. This is not the case with Max. The kids are brought up through a more structured system and yes he has minimal experience but... meh. Daniel Kvyat has really impressed me this year. Clearly experience isn't everything. I remember Brundle saying how Kimi making his debut so young in the Sauber in 2001 at Melbourne scared him. Look where that went. Honestly the last driver who was a danger to anyone else was Uji Ide.

He's just won six races in a row mid-season in F3. That's a credential neither Jos nor Kimi had.

I say good for him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2014 02:02PM by Laton.
Date: August 19, 2014 07:41PM
Posted by: thestig88
hmmmmmm! Age a problem IMHO from a natural maturity view, from a talent view - so far so good so promising, plenty of genuinely talented drivers never get a crack at F1 so this might be one of the few examples of talent winning over money. We shall see come the chequered flag in Melbourne!
Date: August 19, 2014 08:56PM
Posted by: J i m
Goddamit.. I'm very nearly double this kid's age.

Date: August 19, 2014 10:33PM
Posted by: Carlitox
Brace myself... drivers younger than me are coming!

I admit having thrashed Kvyat a lot in the winter. Mostly because I really really wanted to se da Costa in that car, but partly because it seemed to be the same case as Petrov (a driver I wasn't very much fond of).

He completely shutted me up.

With Max, that could happen again. I was a fan of his dad (Malaysia 2001 was an awesome display of skill, and if you think it was just because it was wet, try Austria 2001), and I've seen him doing wonders in Euro F3, but as many, I think it's too soon. To me, at least he should complete a successful FR 3.5 or GP3 season, then think about going to STR. The power difference is nuts, and more importantly, the torque difference is utterly insane. Not to mention the lack of testing. I'm sure he must be training hard, cause F3s are no kitties either. But I fear for his career and maybe even his body. We are not in the 80s, but F1 cars still have a pretty awesome blast of throttle.

I really hope Jev can get a seat somewhere decent. He could've perfectly fit in RBR, and I'm sure he's got a lot more to give. And yes, I'm assuming Jev will get the boot. Very sadly.

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: August 31, 2014 06:48PM
Posted by: gav
Err, perhaps it is a touch early...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2014 06:50PM by gav.
Date: August 31, 2014 07:27PM
Posted by: J i m
Yes, rather embarrassing, yet he's hardly the first to crash in a demo run... Kobayashi, Maldonaldo (this is not helping my point along ;) ) I think Heidfeld bashed his BMW Sauber in a demo once, and didn't Mansell crash the Minardi two seater during a 'demo race'?

But to be fair to Max, I think we at least ought to let him have his winter of testing and maybe a race or two before we judge him.

Date: August 31, 2014 07:39PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
OMG!!! this looked so lame. I mean the guy just went straight on into a wall and didin't even brake. He just smashed the car in the wall
Date: August 31, 2014 09:49PM
Posted by: soulbringer
Hey that is RB8 with Toro Rosso paint. Cool

Vettel managed to do better donats than that in the almost same car.;)
Date: September 01, 2014 07:10AM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
Fascinating to read an unrelated topic about H-H Frentzen's sacking at Jordan. The point I focus on here is his (eventual) replacement: despute obliterating the competition in the strongest european-based F3 championship in 2001, Takuma Sato didn't exactly set the F1 world on fire, did he? ;)

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: September 01, 2014 09:28AM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
this is a good one. how many seconds exactly was he slower than fisichella in the wet qualy in australia?
Date: September 01, 2014 02:58PM
Posted by: marcl
But in the BAR he was not that far off Button and sometimes he was actually the faster of the two, he just crashed a lot and make mistakes that he still makes to this day.
Date: September 01, 2014 04:06PM
Smogless, have you got the link to that article? Frentzen's stint at Jordan and sacking have always interested me - I didn't blame Jordan for booting him since his form had slumped to the point where I felt he was wasting that drive, which was disappointing after his great first season in 1999. Getting rid of him immediately before the German GP maybe wasn't the smartest idea though.

Anyways, better for Max to crash now than when he starts racing. He'll learn from this! ;)

Date: September 01, 2014 04:20PM
mitadumapaga Wrote:
> this is a good one. how many seconds exactly was
> he slower than fisichella in the wet qualy in
> australia?

He didn't even qualify. He was allowed to race because of the "exceptional circumstances" of not getting a run earlier on in the session when it was dry.

Date: September 01, 2014 07:04PM
J i m Wrote:
> I think Heidfeld bashed his BMW Sauber in a demo
> once, and didn't Mansell crash the Minardi two
> seater during a 'demo race'?

Yeah, Mansell tried to make a move on Alonso exiting the final corner of the race and ended up humping Alonso's car instead. His passenger, who'd won the ride in an ITV competition, got more excitement than he'd been expecting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2014 07:04PM by EC83.
Date: September 01, 2014 09:39PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
EC83 Wrote:
> Smogless, have you got the link to that article?

[forums.autosport.com]

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy