Official 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS with secret society style team boss meetings ***

Posted by J i m 
2014 Hungarian Grand Prix

Previous Winners

2004 - Michael Schumacher - Ferrari

2005 - Kimi Raikkonen - McLaren Mercedes

2006 - Jenson Button - Honda

2007 - Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes

2008 - Heikki Kovalainen - McLaren Mercedes

2009 - Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes

2010 - Mark Webber - Red Bull Racing

2011 - Jenson Button - McLaren Mercedes

2012 - Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes

2013 Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2014 09:00PM by J i m.
It seems that Hamilton has now inherited Johnny Herbert levels of unluckiness.

Going to be fun watching him dice through the field tomorrow.

YAY! A thread! I just went to make one now when I saw this. :D

Should be a fascinating race with the relatively mixed-up grid and uncertainty about the weather. Great Pole by Nico, but also good to see Vettel starting to find some form. Bottas was excellent again, continuing his recent run of awesome.

Lewis's season is starting to remind me of Kimi 2005 a bit. Incredibly unlucky to have a fire in quali like that, especially when it's the second failure in two weekends. He could still salvage a good result though, especially if it rains.

As for Kimi - nightmare of a quali, reminded me of when Massa got knocked out in Q1 in Sepang 2009. Thoroughly hammered by Fernando, having a difficult time. I really hope it's not a sign he's losing interest again like he did during his last stint with Ferrari.

Oh, and Marco Mattiacci is a dick.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2014 10:12PM by EC83.
It's a good thing he's had his problems in qualifying (the recent two he wasn't responsible for anyway) as it could have been much, much worse.

It was an entertaining qualifying session to say the least. Had a bit of everything. Turn 1 at the start of Q3 was nuts, as everywhere else the shower just glanced through, but the moment you saw the spray coming off Nico's car you thought "oh oh". Shame Magnussen has to start from the pits with Hamilton, as he's started to show some strong form and is gapping himself and Button (pace wise).

Watching the 24 hours of Spa at the moment and we've had 3 truly horrible crashes, the most recent of which required a red flag so two medical helicopters could land on track. Some of the driving has been utterly shocking so far. I Really hope both involved are OK. :(
gav schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Watching the 24 hours of Spa at the moment and
> we've had 3 truly horrible crashes, the most
> recent of which required a red flag so two medical
> helicopters could land on track. Some of the
> driving has been utterly shocking so far. I
> Really hope both involved are OK. :(

OT but +1. Some of these guys should not be allowed to drive a racing car

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Yay!! Wet(ish) start!! The first few laps could be fun!!
What an awesome race so far. No idea who'll win this at the moment.

Unusual to see so many cars going broadside and slamming the barriers.

HOLY @#$%& Vettel! I've never seen a save like that in 20+ years of watching F1!

Lewis and Ricciardo are uncorked with a vengeance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2014 03:05PM by EC83.
What a great Race!
Final 3-4 laps had me on my seats edge :-)
Awesome to see Riccardo win again, I am so happy for him. Great drives from both alonso and Hamilton today aswell.

Well that certainly didn't disappoint, what a cracker of a race! (Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)
Everyone is going on about Lewis ignoring the team order, I think he was right to.

Merc messed up and blew a 2nd and 3rd anyway. Lewis got ahead of Nico in the laps when Nico pitted, Merc then put Lewis on the slower tyres. They should have put them both on the softer tyres and stop the extra time. They both would have caught Alonso and pass.

Lewis showed he was the better racer again. Nico sat before the Str for lap after lap, lewis got straight passed it.

The press are really blowing this out of control. Nico never asked for Lewis to be moved over, it was a team call which they have said was the wrong thing to do.

Was an ok race, I dont think it was as great as people are saying. It was close and the end whch was good.

Yet again Vettel looking very average in the car and making silly mistakes.

On another note Lewis does not have enough engines now to complete the year, in about two races time he will start to get penalties. The fire on saturday destroyed everything in the back of the car according to whats been said.
I think Mercedes underestimated how difficult it would be to pass Alonso, and that's probably the reason Rosberg was as close at the end.

Rosberg's race went wrong the moment that safety car came out - without any safety cars it looked like being an easy, easy win.

Hamilton made an excellent job of fighting through. Great viewing. :D
Well good race to be honest. As usual topic seems to revolve around Hamilton every race. And it seems that it is no different here in Hungry.
The team orders were a bad call 'Move over?' ....... I mean, really .....would you?

Mercedes messed up on both their strategies, needless to say probably cost them the win.
Good to see Ricciado take the win, I like vettel but damn is he being exposed this season or is it just me? Williams seemed a bit out of sequence. Guess they, like many got caught on strategy and the S.C
Alonso is just epic, if the guy was in a Mercedes he'd be lapping the whole field incredible driver.

Every one keeps harping on about these magnificent drives from the back of the field by Lewis. I'm sorry but it's no more than you would expect from any top driver in that car, I'd wager had it been Alonso he would have won the race ......
And I dont believe for one second the difference between him and Nico is that vast the reason Nico did not get by the Str is the same reason Lewis could not get by Alonso. Tyres and f I remember problems with rear brakes earlier on whereby he was forced to change the biased. You could see he was uncomfortable in the car for a good few laps, took him a while to adjust.

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2014 09:31PM by Isaint.
I think Lewis did well with coming through but its like the Button win in Canada the other year. It would not have been a top 3 without the safety cars which is why I dont rate it that high.

His move round the outside of the STR was fantastic though.

Nicos tyres were no more worn than the STR and by then his brakes were fine he just did not risk a pass. Once Lewis made that pass and put his foot down he jumped Nico and then Merc done their best to get Nico back ahead but failed. I do think Merc messed up putting on the harder tyres, it took him ages to catch Alonso and once he did the tyres had gone. Nico was lapping 3 seconds a lap faster than them on new softer tyres.

People are also forgetting lewis lost a lot of time with that spin, yes there was then a safety car but he still lost a postion to Kevin. I actually feel it was the spin and wing damage that cost him 2nd.

As Gav said Nico was long gone when that safety car came out he was 10 seconds ahead of everyone it would have been an easy win for Nico. Rbr are saying they won this race on merit and speed which is total crap. They got lucky. One merc started at the back, the driver that had been fastest all weekend, and the other lost out big time due to the saftey car timing. Rbr may have won but they did not do it on speed alone.
marcl
I think Lewis did well with coming through but its like the Button win in Canada the other year. It would not have been a top 3 without the safety cars which is why I dont rate it that high.

I disagree with that for the same reason I don't rate Alonso's pass on Schumacher around the outside of 130R at Suzuka - it didn't take great skill, he just put himself in a position where the other driver has to back off early to make the corner. Added to that, I felt Vergne couldn't get out of the way quick enough once Hamilton had placed his car.

Grosjean's pass there last year was much better (even if it was then ruled illegal).
I dont rate the Alonso move either, the Kimi move on Fissi was much better.

Yeah I see what you mean, but Lewis still took a risk and even had a wheel on the grass but Vergne did not fight it. It was a good move but not great.
gav Wrote:
> Grosjean's pass there last year was much better
> (even if it was then ruled illegal).

It wasn't, because it relied on exceeding the track limits. If there'd been grass and gravel up to the edge of the track(As frankly there should be), he'd have had an off, maybe lost his front wing and definitely not got past Massa. If he'd stayed within the track limits, he'd have hit Massa. The penalty might have seemed harsh at the time but he did deserve it.
Lewis's move was spot on - realistically sized up, smartly executed, and would've still been possible in the era before tarmac run-offs.

Great fightback by Lewis, and an excellent save too after quali.

gav Wrote:
> I disagree with that for the same reason I don't
> rate Alonso's pass on Schumacher around the
> outside of 130R at Suzuka - it didn't take great
> skill, he just put himself in a position where the
> other driver has to back off early to make the
> corner. Added to that, I felt Vergne couldn't get
> out of the way quick enough once Hamilton had
> placed his car.

Errh... if you are on the outside, the turn in is totally blind. You are literally guessing. And fighting someone determined and committed to making a pass there is stupid. It's a one way ticket out of the race.

What's with you and Hamilton anyway? Every race you have something bad to say, or need to put down good things. Why all the hating?

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
And I praised him in the post before that. Still, what your eyes want to see...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy