Official 2014 British Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS with Gurney flaps***

Posted by EC83 
2014 British Grand Prix

Previous Winners

2004 - Michael Schumacher (Ferrari)

2005 - Juan Pablo Montoya (McLaren Mercedes)

2006 - Fernando Alonso (Renault)

2007 - Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari)

2008 - Lewis Hamilton (McLaren Mercedes)

2009 - Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull Renault)

2010 - Mark Webber (Red Bull Renault)

2011 - Fernando Alonso (Ferrari)

2012 - Mark Webber (Red Bull Renault)

2013 - Nico Rosberg (Mercedes)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2014 03:48AM by EC83.
LOL. Not often I'll start a post with that, but that just about sums up qually.
I have never seen anything like this before!

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Bad error of judgement by Hamilton! It should make for an exciting race, seeing him come through the field, it shouldn't take long though before it's a straight fight between him and Rosberg.

===================================================================================
Tahitian GP Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Easter Island Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2014 03:55PM by salvasirignano.
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LOL. Not often I'll start a post with that, but
> that just about sums up qually.

Sums it up perfectly. Watching qualify today was as equally hilarious as it was infuriating.

Well done to Marussia, it has to be said they played that really really well, and their pace wasn't too shabby either. They definitely took it to Sauber anway.. who were invariably busy chucking the car off the road, even if Sutil did do it with his little pinky.

Baffling epic fail by Hamilton, and this time he can't even blame it on skullduggery by Rosberg, who played it spot on by 'hanging on in there til the end'. Still, once he's finished sulking at his own momentus own goal he might realise that he'll probably come through the field quickly and the likelihood is that it's all to play for as normal.

P2 for Vettel... he's got to be hoping for some more rain to give him a chance to dust of his finger. And nice job by Button to haul that McLaren upto P3... I wonder if that classifies as trying hard enough for the RonSpeak. It'd be nice if he could actually get his first home podium but I think he has his work cut out.

Good stuff by Force India, with their ability to nurse the tyres whilst keeping strong pace, they have a big chance to reassert a points lead over Williams...

...who fecked it up big time. I supported their overall safe strategy at Austria as I felt it was the correct thing to do in the circumstances to bag the points... but todays strategy was simply baffling. To leave it that late before sending the cars out was sheer bonkers... with the intermittent showers there was always the chance of more rain falling before the end of the session....

... a monumental fail.. which was evidently replicated by Ferrari.

Should be a good race though :)

i ffully agree on the points you made, guys.

Indeed, Hamilton should not waste more than 5 lap to be right up there in p2. although there are 3 mercedes powered carsin front of him, it has to be said that the level ofdownforce that hamiltons' mercedes has, should make it easy to get out of becketts close enough to overtake. I find it unlikely though, that he will be able to pull out a move on a merc. powered car in the drs zone, especially not on hulk.
Most ignored drivers in this thread:

Daniil Kvyat
Kevin Magnusson

Both rookies with very little experience with F1 wet weather driving, being thrust right into the thick of it, in a very, very unusual and unpredictable qualifying.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
LOL at Coulthard's grid walk. "Sebastian's middle fingered salute". :D
First race stoppage on the first lap since Hockenheim 2001(Last race on the proper Hockenheim too). I remember that one well.

Last time a British GP was topped on the first lap due to an accident, it was MS breaking his leg at Stowe a few hundred metres away from me.
Last time before that was the famous 1986 Brands Hatch race(I think).

Edit: Wow, this is one hell of a delay...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2014 02:32PM by EC83.
Was a nasty crash :(
Hope Kimi's OK, but saw him limping, so holding my breath here...

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Hope he's OK, yeah. He did get out of the car by himself and initial reports are positive, so hope he'll be fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2014 02:34PM by EC83.
No broken bones, but worries about his ankle...

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Apparently he only has a minor injury on his right ankle, good news for such a bad crash

they will start with safety car in the actual order, isn't supposed that they have to start again from lap zero with the original grid if they don't complete the first 2 laps?

Also with this delay is increasing rain chances towards the end of the race!

Kimi's impact was measured at 47G. Jeez.

Good drive by Alonso so far!

Gutierrez you n00b.

Unfortunate for Nico. Mechanical Mercedes Karma is restored!

Really enjoyable race :-)

It was a shame we were robbed of another duel between Hamilton and Rosberg.. but the result just proves that it's still very much all to play for despite the doomsayers proclaiming Hamilton's championship over following Canada. Just four points back again.

Plenty of entertainment up and down the field.

Massa was extremely unlucky.. clutch problems at the start, and then in the wrong place at the wrong time with Kimi, but that reaction was simply amazing. That could have been a far nastier accident than it already was.

Bottas was brilliant... very strong drive and assertive race craft, he wasted pretty much no time behind slower cars. I think despite of the problems across the weekend the Williams proved itself to be a very competitive car on a variety of circuits. Sure the Mercs were in a league of their own.. but Williams were right up there at the top of league two.

Ricciardo made a very savvy call on tyre strategy... he took an unlikely podium through sheer intelligence and thinking on his feet.

A strong race by Button... so close to getting that elusive home podium.. but he was always going to have his work cut out with faster cars all round him, oh and a mature drive by Magnussen although he did get mugged a few times by other cars.

LMAO at Vettel and Alonso.. that was great racing but at one point I was convinced they were going to get the handbags out. Alonso must be peeved.. in the first stint he looked to be as strong as (if not stronger than) Bottas.

Bad day for Force India... just no pace.. even their amazing handle on tyre life didn't help out today and a missed opportunity to punish the hilariously infuriating qualifying own goal and of Williams and Ferrari.

Oh and Gutierrez on Maldonado was wonderfully poetic karma.

Massa did an amazing job of throwing his car into a spin to avoid a big impact with Kimi. Sickening crash, but thankfully all seems good other than bruising.

J i m
It was a shame we were robbed of another duel between Hamilton and Rosberg.. but the result just proves that it's still very much all to play for despite the doomsayers proclaiming Hamilton's championship over following Canada. Just four points back again.

I'm not sure there'd have been a duel without the gearbox problem. While Hamilton was catching in the first stint, Rosberg sounded like he was in complete control on the radio and very comfortable.

After he first reported his gearbox issues he was not catching as quickly as he should have been on a new set of tyres, so was clearly slower, either due the issue or the distractions it caused, then Hamilton 1 second a lap quicker on the worse tyre. Rosberg was clearly in trouble with his car at that point.

Shame for Rosberg, but that almost evens it out for me (Montreal they both suffered the same issue, but Hamilton didn't manage the MGU-K controller failure enough and suffered - a car failure, but he could have nursed his car to the end too, but he didn't adjust as Rosberg had). More importantly it was just the luck Hamilton needed after his sulk following his monumental cockup yesterday.

Bottas was awesome. Some stunning moves around the outside of Stowe. Great entertainment. It would have been interesting to see how much closer to the Mercs he would have been had he started up at the front (not enough to win, but he might have been mixing it with them for a while, ala Austria).

Alonso was equally awesome to move up through the field, and he didn't have the help of a Merc engine either. Properly impressive drive again. Excellent battle with Vettel culminating in some proper Mansell vs Senna Barcelona '91 side-by-side action down the straight to Copse.

Maldonado got Maldonado'd. Some awesome GP2 driving from Gutierrez there. A whole series of errors both in the incident itself and afterwards (should have guessed he at least would have had front wing damage, but he still went barreling into turns 1 and 2). Impressive strength in that Lotus to not just fall apart after a proper flight.
great points there.

as much as i think that rosberg was in conrol, you have to say, there was a battle between those two in any race bar china and malaysia. So who knows what could have happened.

what makes me cheer more for rosberg than for lewis, is the simple ATTITUDE. rosberg handled the whole situation so calmly. but unlike a button-esque calmly close to looking as not fighting hard enough, rosberg really did anything, absolutely anything he could possibly have - including pressuring the BRITISH marshals to help me restart or whatsoever. this whoole attitude was just a fantastic addition to his fight to the end from yesterday's qualy. at one point I actualy wanted to see rosberg restart and make a come back through the field - it would have been mighty to pump that merc up to 100%and put his some fresh rubber on the top of it.

while hamilton is as equally impressive in his driving and arguably faster as pure speed, his attitude is arrogant and it pisses me off how he behaves to his race engineer. "i dont care about the gap behind, give me the gap to nico"

wathcing rosberg struggle so reminded me of hill in 1994 at adelaide. so similar in many ways, and yet so different.

what I would love to know is HOW exactly rosberg's gearbox failed?? which race was it for his gearbox? which one for hamilton's gearbox? will there be a penalty for roberg in hockenheim?
Silverstone, as hard as it is on tyres, I do not think should be so hard on downshifting. there are how many ? 2 -3 more serious breaking zones
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy