2014 Austrian GP ***here be SPOILERS***

Posted by flat tyre 
2014 Austrian GP ***here be SPOILERS***
Date: June 19, 2014 11:23PM
Posted by: flat tyre

:) Feels good to see these old names on a track map again!

But, heading back to today...

__It's Lewis Hamilton VS. Keke Rosberg JR at the Österreichring__

>>> There's talk about titanium skinblocks being reintroduced at this race... sounds like all good things come at once.

>>> Rosberg thinks he has the upper hand now. He hasn't laid down any smack talk... up until now. Will it jinx him?

>>> The FIA are thinking about being more lenient with penalties, so as to encourage more fights. Hopefully on track, they mean.

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to this one. Will it be a stinker or a stonker?!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2014 11:31PM by flat tyre.
Re: 2014 Austrian GP ***here be SPOILERS***
Date: June 20, 2014 12:03AM
Posted by: SupraRacing55
I'm also definitely looking forward to this race for sure.
Date: June 20, 2014 12:21AM
Posted by: Frantic
we´re back to a classic circuit! with one of the narrower main straights i expect some crash at the start. should be a good circuit for Williams i guess :)

about titanium skid blocks yep, kimi and rosberg will be using them on Friday to try bringing back sparks. i´d prefer to using a lower chassis but i guess it would compromise safety so we´ll see how it results

Date: June 20, 2014 01:51AM
Posted by: Carlitox
The sparks are just another gimmick, like the tuba exhaust thingy. The cooler looking and souding cars nowadays are LMP1s. The Porsche had the most freaking awesome sound I've heard in years. And at night, you could see some massive sparks in the first corners.

Nevertheless, I'm very excited that F1 is returning to one of the tracks I adored as a child. I remember just having bought GP3 and heading straight to a quickrace in the A1-Ring. Many overtaking spots, tricky surface, short lap time, that and more make it unique.

My money is on Lewis, though I like Nico more, but I don't think he'll be able to cope with the pressure in-race.

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: June 20, 2014 12:12PM
Posted by: flat tyre
Agree with everything you said, except...

Carlitox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The sparks are just another gimmick,

I don't think of it as being fake at all. If anything, I see it as a return to how things used to be - much like when slicks returned in 2009. Cars always used to have titanium floors, until the FIA introduced a rule forcing the use of the wooden plank. These just kicked up yellow pieces of dust. Now, they've simply replaced the material with what it used to be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: June 20, 2014 04:05PM
Posted by: gav
I've not seen any of practice yet, but I think they've added the titanium to areas of the plank (replacing plank?) rather than replacing the plank and while I'm sure the wooden plank isn't cheap, surely a titanium plank would cost a fortune! But yes, in its current guise in practice it's fake and gimmicky.

Still, if you look at it as an eye candy thing, if you took the trees away from Spa and here they wouldn't be a quarter as pretty as they are. I couldn't care either way personally - it's hardly going to be make a difference to the racing and after a few races everyone will have stopped complaining.

It'll be interesting to see what they're going to do about the positioning of it though, as cars run very different rake, so if you place it back a bit some cars would hardly produce any sparks, but if you move it forward others might not. Surely each team would have to have the spark-generators™ (for Chet in his absence ;)) in the same place?
Date: June 20, 2014 06:14PM
Posted by: Carlitox
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it's hardly going to be make a difference to the racing

Big 90-style sparks burn into drivers' visors, forcing them to either replace the tear-off or be partially blind. On a long wide straight you could take the tear-off off, but what if you dive into Eau Rouge with half a visor with a black stain? Not only gimmick, it's not very safe. Don't get me wrong - I adore sparks and exhaust flames and that sort of things, but if it's going to compromise the drivers' safety, better avoid it.

While we're at it, I missed FP1, so can anyone that has seen it tell us if the thing really worked? Thanks :-)

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: June 20, 2014 08:13PM
Please tell me you aren't actually serious? After all we've had countless drivers crashing into turn 5 at Singapore because of all the sparks, not to mention the carnage in the 80s and 90s!

Sparks will cool down to well below the temperature needed to melt the tear offs, and if they didn't they'd only be in contact with them for mere milliseconds anyway!
Date: June 20, 2014 11:32PM
Posted by: J i m
I know the A1/Red Bull is only really a pale shadow of the old Osterreichring but I'm glad it's back again, I always enjoyed the races here between 97-03 and it kind of reminds me if an upscaled go-kart track.

Mercs seem to have a large advantage, given how short the lap is a second per lap is slightly surprising. Again it's looking really close behind them but I really hope that Williams can put it altogether and grab that elusive podium.

Date: June 21, 2014 03:13PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Woooo Massa! haha

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 21, 2014 03:32PM
WTF just happened? :\
Date: June 21, 2014 04:53PM
Posted by: SupraRacing55
Go Williams! Go Bottas!! Get rid of that brake-by-wire BS, which ruined Hamilton's lap even though they helped Massa and Bottas get 1-2 which I'm happy about!!!
Date: June 21, 2014 06:57PM
Well, I shall try to resist engaging 'Williams fanboy mode' but I enjoyed that (H)

I think to an extent the Mercs dropped the ball and really ought to have been on the front row, but pushed too hard and made too many mistakes, most of the Q3 field did, but Williams were relatively strong and kept it together long enough to bank the lap-time.

Good grid for tomorrow's race, the Williams ought to get away in the lead, Rosberg will surely move ahead at some point in the pitstop phase and it'll be good racing through out the field.

Hamilton has the opportunity to entertain by moving back through the field and overtaking some cars, plus it'll be interesting to see what Button and the Force Indias can do strategy wise.

Date: June 21, 2014 07:02PM
SupraRacing55
Get rid of that brake-by-wire BS, which ruined Hamilton's lap even though they helped Massa and Bottas get 1-2 which I'm happy about!!!
Heidfeld had a similar spin at the same corner in 2002. Sadly that resulted in him creaming gearbox first into Sato, punching a hole in the chassis right where he sat, but somewhat miraculously he was unhurt.

Neither the team nor Hamilton has said there was an issue, so for now I'll reserve judgement. Though I will admit it looked odd and I'm expecting brake components to be replaced under parc ferme, even if only as a precaution.

Stunning session though. Good to see consistency in the application of rules.

Excellent for Williams, though sadly the very reason they were able to challenge for pole will likely be the same reason they'll struggle to finish in the top 6. Top race in prospect anyway though!
Date: June 21, 2014 08:29PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Just hoping for no repeat of Hakkinen/Coulthard style moves from the Williams drivers tomorrow ;)

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 21, 2014 11:02PM
Posted by: marcl
Lewis really cocked up today, he knew he was on a good lap so should have been a bit more careful on turn 8. His next lap he messed up and cost nico as well.

At least we get a race tomorrow :)
Date: June 22, 2014 12:04AM
I'm not sure Nico was too concerned at Hamilton cocking up his lap. He'll be more than happy to point towards Mirabeau, even if Hamilton hadn't set a time here.

The first few laps tomorrow should be interesting. Rosberg might struggle to pass the Williams cars early on (and Alonso might well pounce on lap 1), but on such a track Hamilton ought to make easy progress through much of the rest of the non-Merc top 10. It's hardly inconceivable that Hamilton could be within a few seconds of Roberg just as the Williams' drivers tyres start to go off.

That said, Hamilton hasn't started in the pack this season, so it'll be interesting to see how committed he is going into turn 1.
Date: June 22, 2014 01:31AM
Posted by: marcl
It's very easy here to get knocked off at turn one then two, lewis is in just the wrong place.

The Williams drivers need to keep it clean if they want to win.
Date: June 22, 2014 10:02AM
I think most of Q3 cocked it up to be honest, but particularly Hamilton who couldn't even do the yellow flag trick properly ;-)

A turn one collision is a good point, as there is previous for this here, I recall a certain Michael Schumacher trying to force a restart back in 2000 by parking his broken Ferrari across the track *rubs chin.

As a Williams fan, I'm hoping for a good clean race with no safety cars.. as I feel this represents their best chance of converting their qualifying result into a podium. The safety car period (and pit stop problems) really hurt their race at Montreal because it meant that the one stopping cars were much closer to them at the pit-stop window, and hence they lost track position and time.

I think ultimately, assuming there's no reliability glitches this time the Mercs will move through to the front, Rosberg first and Hamilton after dispatching the rest of the upper midfield, the natural car advantage of the Merc ought to see him able to overtake. Rosberg ought to be able to maintain that to the end but I also have a feeling that Hamilton will hunt him down and there'll be some more wheel to wheel and brake locking stuff going on.

After that I expect Ricciardo to be mixing it with the Williams, Alonso and Hulkenberg may be able to go longer on the tyres, so this could create chances for them, and likewise Vettel and Perez as they both need an alternate strategy to try and get back into the game.

Date: June 22, 2014 01:29PM
Posted by: EC83
Gerhard Berger is brilliant. "First of all, I know I must not say schit or phuck. Not at all. Nope" LMAO!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy