Formula 1 Grand Prix de Monaco 2014 ***SPOILERS***

Posted by Carlitox 
The race was hotting up a bit towards the finish as well, Ricciardo had some useful pace at the end and it exciting to see if he'd able to stick it down the inside of Hamilton, but also the leading trio threading their way through the 'back markers' some of whom seemed to have taken the life out of their tyres produced some really wild fluctuations in the gaps.

There weren't too many surprises in the top finishers... But honourable mentions today for Bianchi, first points for Maurussia and was genuinely quick at times. Also Massa, it was a brave gamble to stay out after that safety car but he put in a really strong stint thereafter on what were then old tyres.

Bad luck for Toro Rosso, they had good pace this weekend, unlucky for the components to break.

Re: Formula 1 Grand Prix de Monaco 2014 ***SPOILERS***
Date: May 25, 2014 04:58PM
Posted by: gav
A couple of things I forgot - huge credit to Magnussen for avoiding what looked like an unavoidable crash in the pits. He (and Kyvat for the few laps he survived) had stunning debut Monaco weekends.

Also Hulkenberg's pass on Magnussen. I can't say I've ever seen an overtake at Portier. I'm sure it's happened, but I can't remember one. Like '96 when Panis overtook cars twice exiting Rascasse, but neither time it was picked up by the camera (you see them entering Rascasse, then coming down the S/F straight Panis is ahead. Hulkenberg had another good race full stop, at a track which is far down on the list of tracks you'd expect Force India to do well at.

Interesting listening to Hamilton pit pen too - he thinks it's OK to have zero communication between teammates and confirmed he hadn't spoken to Nico since the race, and by the sounds of it they hadn't spoken since qualifying.

I suspect this one has rumbled on from earlier in the season. Bahrain, when Hamilton ran Nico off the track a couple of times? They've been fairly cold to each other in the post-race pre-podium. There's something about it which hints at this not coming out of the blue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2014 04:58PM by gav.
Date: May 25, 2014 05:46PM
Former McLaren team member Marc Priestley:

Marc Priestley
LH left McL without many fans in the garage because of his attitude & arrogance, won't take long for the same to happen at Merc I'm afraid.

Excuse me while I haul my jaw back up.
Date: May 25, 2014 06:20PM
Watching the build up on the BBC. Lauda said Lewis accused Rosberg of something he didn't do, Niki tried to fix it but he couldn't. We all thought this, but I wasn't aware Merc had come out and said it so directly!
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also Hulkenberg's pass on Magnussen. I can't say
> I've ever seen an overtake at Portier. I'm sure
> it's happened, but I can't remember one.

MSC overtook Alex Wurz there after their epic slapfight around Loewes.

Date: May 25, 2014 07:54PM
senninho
MSC overtook Alex Wurz there after their epic slapfight around Loewes.

Bloody hell! Well remembered!
In fairness, it was one of the more exciting moments of the season. Wurz did well to contribute to three of them ;)

First time a team has finished 1-2 in five straight races since Ferrari in the Hungarian-Japanese GPs in 2002, and the first time a team has won the first 6 races of a season since 1988. Scary really.

A brilliant race, and so glad that Rosberg got one up on Hamilton.

Hopefully, this weekend will finally convince people of what I've been saying for a long time now; Hamilton is one of the most unforgivably arrogant people to ever drive in F1.

I personally think that Hamilton's engineer should be the poster boy for anger management; If I was him, I'd have slogged Hamilton in the jaw after Spain, let alone after this weekend.

F1 Graphics Swapper --- Lensdump - Renders and Screenshots --- GP4 Performance Generator
Considering his own skullduggery in Spain, where the team have confirmed that he used a higher engine setting in order to stay ahead of Rosberg, whilst Rosberg did what he was told and used the lower setting, then his level of sulk at Monaco was definitely a bit rich.

Edit:// apparently Nico did the engine setting thing first, at Bahrain, so maybe this is more of a tit for tat thing...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2014 11:23AM by J i m.
Lewis should listen to Helio Castroneves' dignified & mature response to finishing 2nd at the Indy 500 and take heed.

About time he got Maldonado'd I think!
Helio at the 500, Massa in 2008... there are plenty of examples of good losers. I'm just not sure Hamilton actually understands that sometimes he is just beaten.

senninho Wrote:
> Helio at the 500, Massa in 2008... there are
> plenty of examples of good losers. I'm just not
> sure Hamilton actually understands that sometimes
> he is just beaten.

None of the drivers that accomplish anything in F1 understand when they are beaten, they just differ in their ability to filter their responses on and off track. Some understand PR and others do not. Some of the most well liked drivers feign even that they do not understand PR, but on the contrary exploit it very well.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
It looked like Helio, deliberately took some moments to get his emotions in check before giving that interview as well and hence gave himself the time take stock of the achievement and be gracious in defeat.

Whether that was genuine or not, who knows. But it was certainly professional.

Hamilton's behaviour at Monaco just lacked that little bit of professionalism, even Niki Lauda thought so and apparently told him so to.

The way lewis carried on was very childish, he just needs to get over it.

Merc though also need to get their story right. They said after the race the leader gets priority on the pit stops but in Spain and Bahrain they have the 2nd driver a chance to beat the driver leading. Lewis was never given the chance to do this on strategy. I did not think that was fair.

I did not like the way Nico celebrated after quali, he made a mistake and messed up 5 people's laps.

Maybe they need to bring in a rule that if you cause a yellow flag you lose your best lap time? There is no difference to getting in someone's way.

They need to shake hands on it and move on.

The press are not helping. Is f1 that boring that they need to try and make this like senna and Prost? Neither driver is at that level.

We are after Austria we are coming to tracks where lewis was better than nico last year, so he needs to win them.

Lewis lost a lot of respect he had gained so he needs to sort himself out.

Nico could have made that corner in quali but he chose not to. He would have been better putting the car in the wall. I don't think he done it on purpose but there was no need for him to cause the yellow that's my only problem with it.
J i m Wrote:
> Hamilton's behaviour at Monaco just lacked that
> little bit of professionalism

On that we do agree.

marcl Wrote:
> The way lewis carried on was very childish, he
> just needs to get over it.

That is what you get when you create a star from a prodigy child. You get a person that hasn't done much else in life, and is used to winning and getting things their way. It creates an unbalanced and immature personality. The Fingermeister is the same way and has proven it time and time again. This is not a new phenomenon in sports, as it has been present for a long time, especially in the Olympic disciplines. The reason it is a new phenomena in F1 is that it takes so much more in money and resources to create them, that it is only now that the mentored mono-railed training structure for the motor sport kids has been established.

marcl Wrote:
>
> I did not like the way Nico celebrated after
> quali, he made a mistake and messed up 5 people's
> laps.
>
> Maybe they need to bring in a rule that if you
> cause a yellow flag you lose your best lap time?
> There is no difference to getting in someone's
> way.
>

How is that fair? You have someone who makes an honest mistake, like Nico did, and you want them to get penalised for that. I'm sorry, but @#$%& will inevitably happen when you're under pressure to find those extra few tenths somewhere in a lap.

If they brought in a rule like that, people would be less likely to push since they know that if they get it slightly wrong and even run wide, the yellows would come out and they'd get penalised. I'm sorry, but that's not a good rule to have.

Nico honestly just screwed up and managed to get the car off-track.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Yeah it's not fair at all but neither is this situation either.

A similar rule works in Indycar though.

You get a penalty for holding someone up but nothing for causing a flag.

The thing that is really meant to have pissed people off is nico did not need to even cause a yellow flag. Yet you've just ruined a number of people's laps.

Lewis said he wishes everyone could see the information he has, would love to know what he means.

What was funny was I had just finished saying all nico has to do is park his car and cause a yellow lol

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2014 07:46PM by marcl.
J i m Wrote:
> even Niki Lauda
> thought so and apparently told him so to.

To be fair, Lauda thinks that even though the focus was on Lewis here at Monaco, both drivers have overstepped the mark already, and he will be having talks with both of them to assert the limits of the team.

[www.autosport.com]

I didn't realise that in Spain Lewis turned up his engine mode to help hold Nico off whilst he had his engine turned down low as per team instructions.

No wonder Nico was desperate to get one over, especially as Hamilton seems to want to do everything Senna acheived at Monaco!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy