The Official 2014 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix ***SPOILERS***

Posted by EC83 
Speaking of accidents guys. I remember being at the Indycar race in 96 when Jeff Krosnoff was killed. We were sitting right in the croner when it happen. It was the scariest noise you can imagine. It wasn't until after we found out that he and a Marshall had been killed. I can still hear that noise to this day. That tree is still there behind the fence, and to this day there is always flowers beside. In fact I was in Toronto a couple weeks ago going to a leafs game and always look at that tree and spot.
That's certainly, one of the most brutal accidents. Even on the video the noise is frightening. The poor bugger didn't stand a chance. :(
There's something very surreal as well as horrifying about having an accident happen right in front of you. When I was at the British GP in 1999 at Stowe corner(not in the same league for tragedy obviously, although in the immediate aftermath that wasn't clear) I felt almost like I was trapped in a bad dream. I felt completely numb physically as well, and I think there's a feeling of total helplessness mixed in there too.

J i m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If Irvine is a complete arse, that'd probably make
> Piquet an utter cesspit. ;-)

LMAO! Funniest description of Piquet I've read I think. Perfect. :D

I don't think Irvine is an arse as such. I recently watched the show about him on Sky F1 Legends, and he's definitely very blunt and tells it like he sees it, which I've always liked him for, he's a cheeky bastard with plenty of arrogance in there too, and he's expert at winding people up when he wants to. That does make him come across as arsey at times, but altogether I think he's alright. He's always seemed to be a good guy deep down.

It definitely felt numb at Le Mans last year after the news broke that poor Allan Simonsen had succumbed to his injuries substained in his accident at Tetre Rouge. I didn't see or hear the accident because I was little further in the track at the Dunlop curves, but the news left me feeling really empty.

Also driving back past the scene of the accident on Monday the evidence of the crash was obvious because the tree he'd hit was missing a big patch of bark.

I'm lucky enough to have not been present at many races with serious accidents or incidents but I think the eeriest for me was being at Silverstone F1 testing back in 2003, Montoya was circulating on his own in his Williams and so you could pretty much track his progress around the lap by ear, I was watching at that little bit between Abbey and Bridge, he blasted through there on another lap and then my ears told me he was Luffield, Woodcote, Cospe, Maggots, Becketts and then silence a tyre screech and a big crunch. He'd had a moment at chapel, went off and the car got stuck underneath part of the tyre barrier.

That's a nasty place to have an off.

I was at Spa in 2012, sitting in the stand on the left hand side on the run down to Eau Rouge, and aside from seeing the big accident at the first corner - the first I saw of it was Grosjean's Lotus launching through the air - I also witnessed Nigel Melker's big accident into Eau Rouge. He actually broke the tyre barrier as far as I can remember. That was a nasty one as all I heard was a short screech as the Dallara stepped out and then a loud bang as it hit the wall.

Another worrying accident I've witnessed was Rob Austin's big crash at Paddock at Brands last year. He was hit hard in the driver side door and took a minute or so to get out. The car was absolutely ruined.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy