Posted by: Toki
28, 29, 30 March 2014
2014 FORMULA 1 PETRONAS MALAYSIA GRAND PRIX
Sepang International Circuit
First Grand Prix: 1999

Number of Laps: 56
Circuit Length: 5.543 km
Race Distance: 310.408 km
Lap Record: 1:34.223 - JP Montoya (2004)

2013 Pole Position: Sebastian Vettel *Red Bull Racing-Renault* 1:49.674
2013 Winner: Sebastian Vettel *Red Bull Racing-Renault*

video: [www.youtube.com]

The Real Story of the Race was that the Renault's fell apart and the Ferrari's didn't.
Rosberg headed for the sliproad and retired, probably because of Nicotin starvation they have still not given him a helmet with a little hole in it.
Re: 2014 Malaysian GP ***SPOILERS***
Date: March 28, 2014 07:40PM
Posted by: Laton
Long straights, high humidity. We could see some fairly epic engine failures here.

Can someone dig out some pics of the 80's turbos munching themselves??
Date: March 28, 2014 08:04PM
Posted by: Toki
Maybe this?

The Real Story of the Race was that the Renault's fell apart and the Ferrari's didn't.
Rosberg headed for the sliproad and retired, probably because of Nicotin starvation they have still not given him a helmet with a little hole in it.
Date: March 30, 2014 10:02AM
Posted by: Laton
Seems very quiet here.

Looks to be a good race I reckon, hopefully we'll get some rain later too.

Look at those Caterhams and Murussias STILL the back four on the grid - pathetic. It really is time one of them left to open the way for someone with a bit more of a clue as to how to move forward.
Date: March 30, 2014 01:24PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
massa, massa , massa ....;((
Date: March 30, 2014 01:25PM
Posted by: mclarenaustralia
Ricciardo has a 10 place grid penalty for Bahrain.
Date: March 30, 2014 01:59PM
Posted by: J i m
Not the most spine tingling race if I'm honest, yet as ever there is enough satire thrown up to mull over.

Looks like the Mercs controlled absolutely everything, and they very much seemed to win the race at the slowest possible speed. I think Hamilton could have been half way ahead to China before the end of the race, and Rosberg should have probably had more in hand over Vettel as well. I think they're just taking as little out of the car as possible and hiding some of their true potential at the moment.

Another story of two halves for Red Bull. What is clear is that the chassis is very definitely as good as they come, if it was powered by a Mercedes, they'd be winning. But Renault are gradually sorting out the problems as well and I don't think it'll be too long before the two will be perfectly married again. It's a shame how the second car has very firmly engaged Mark Webber mode though. Pit stop problems, unsafe releases, ten place grid penalty for the next race, bits falling off and finally breaking down. If Ricciardo can keep smiling through that then he's a better man than most.

Alonso and Hulkenberg did decent jobs, they were at times just about hanging on to the Red Bulls, shame for Raikkonen, shame for Perez.

So much for McLaren's half a second, Ron evidently forgot that Alonso took that on his way out of the door in 07. Quiet race for Button, a couple of rookie errors for young Magnussen.

Williams, a little bit disappointing. I think the testing form raised expectations a bit too high. Maybe the track and conditions exposed the car's key weakness a bit more than other tracks might, but they struggled more than their direct rivals with the tyre degradation. They made a strategy blooper with Bottas, left him out on shagged tyres, lost him about 8 seconds and track position. If it wasn't for that he'd probably have beaten Massa and had more chance of overtaking Button.

I think the media are kind of making a mountain out of a molehill with the "team orders issue". For one they forget that Bottas was told not to hassle Massa, until Massa had overtaken Magnussen (which he never managed) early in the race. And later in the race, they never gave Massa a direct order to let Bottas through. They simply told him that Bottas was faster, and not to hold him up.

They should have gone easy on the old "Valteri is faster than you" line though...;) poor Felipe would have been flashing straight back to Hockenheim 2014. That said, he was correct in saying it wouldn't have made any difference to the team result and it was unlikely that Bottas would have got past Button, if he couldn't actually pass Massa anyway. Even though Bottas showed stronger overtaking skills today, Massa had a good chance to pass both McLarens and didn't make it stick on either.

LOL @ Maldonaldo... he made a fantastic choice to leave Williams for Lotus.
Kobayashi did a wonderful job of getting in the way of faster cars (i.e Kimi), but kudos to him for managing to keep that eyesore in touch enough to gain track position during the pit-stop phases anyway.

Date: March 30, 2014 02:01PM
Posted by: n00binio
Massa's team radio was epic: "Valtteri is faster than you...". Oh dear

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: March 30, 2014 02:30PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
I'll fly the flag for Romain then! Considering the Lotus is pretty much half-finished, to haul it to the end of the race is a great step forward.

I've never been so pleased to see someone finish 11th! When Lotus iron out the creases in their setup, Romain's going to be in the mix.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: March 30, 2014 02:41PM
Posted by: gav
J i m
They made a strategy blooper with Bottas, left him out on shagged tyres, lost him about 8 seconds and track position.

The stop only lost 3 seconds. He was carrying a 5-second penalty into the race from yesterday (which was as nailed-on a penalty as you'll ever see).
Date: March 30, 2014 02:43PM
I wasn't aware of the time-penalty, I thought it was grid penalty + license points.

Date: March 30, 2014 02:48PM
Posted by: EC83
n00binio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Massa's team radio was epic: "Valtteri is faster
> than you...". Oh dear

Yeah. I was almost expecting him to reply "Oh @#$%& OFF!" ;)

I don't know why Sky made such a big deal out of it TBH.

Date: March 30, 2014 04:55PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
i dont get what bottas was so keen about?

he was never at the whole race close to massa? he was never faster?

... except when felippe was fighting slower cars.
Date: March 30, 2014 10:13PM
On a different note: Hulkenberg must be delighted he didn't get the Lotus drive. If FI can keep this pace they could be in for a decent season.

Date: March 31, 2014 01:59PM
The way I see it is Hulkenberg did get the Lotus drive, but he turned it down in favour of going back to Force India. And so far it's looking like a savvy decision.

And his result yesterday was exactly as you'd expect. Dragging a result out of a car that probably shouldn't be quite up there.

Date: March 31, 2014 08:26PM
Posted by: thestig88
great drive from lewis, not so great his return of "oh im just so amazing" lines, even vettel shows a bit more tact!
Date: March 31, 2014 10:24PM
Posted by: xSilvermanx
Just looked at the results from the Malaysia-GP and noticed something. In Qualifying the teams who chose the low-ending-nose without a tip (Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull [Atleast Red Bull didn't get that Banana-design like the rest of the teams, that tip is almost non-existent, so I'd rate it as "no tip";) got the first 6 positions against the rest of the field, against pre-season-wise high rated teams like Williams, McLaren or Force India. In the race the three teams drove away from the rest of the field, Ricciardo and Raikkonen stopped by incidents that can happen during a race. Otherwise they may have finished up there as well.
Coincidence? I think so. Melbourne was a bit different as both Raikkonen and Vettel struggled with their cars (one because of the technic, the other one not) and McLaren was very strong. Still I'll look closely at the next results, maybe it's not that coincidental.
Date: March 31, 2014 11:41PM
Posted by: EC83
Really hope it's not coincidental, then as the season progresses teams will modify their cars and we should gradually lose all the freaky-looking Clockwork Orange noses.

Date: April 01, 2014 11:43PM
J i m schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The way I see it is Hulkenberg did get the Lotus
> drive, but he turned it down in favour of going
> back to Force India. And so far it's looking like
> a savvy decision.
>
> And his result yesterday was exactly as you'd
> expect. Dragging a result out of a car that
> probably shouldn't be quite up there.

Ah, I didn't know about that!

Date: April 02, 2014 05:14PM
Well, whether they formally offered him the 2014 drive or not I don't know. But they did ask him to substitute for Kimi for the last two races, which he did turn down. Plus all that silliness with the quantum non-investment, they basically told Lotus to sign Hulkenberg.

In other news, Rob Smedley has started work at Williams, and will reportedly be the main man on the prat perch this coming weekend at Boreain. Perhaps he'll be able to calm Felipe Baby down after the "Felipe... Valteri is faster.. than.. YOU" moment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy