> here.
>
> Basically, to echo the sentiment of thestig88, he
> was F1 to me for many years. I guess I'm just kind
> of shell-shocked right now. As much as we're all
> mortal, this wasn't expected - every so often I
> guess someone comes across as more than human - as
> much as we consciously know they're not, the
> subconscious doesn't want to know sometimes.
>
> Godspeed, Michael. I've never supported you in any
> race like I do in this one now.

That's so bloody touching mate, could not have put it better. It's basically the same for me. I cried when Senna died ..... then came Shumie he brought the light back to F1 for me. So I know exactly what you mean ..........:-)

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Re: Sad news
Date: December 31, 2013 11:11AM
Posted by: Vader
There is a press conference going on right now. Apperantly they could reduce the level of brain pressure which is a slightly positive development. However, no further prognoses are possible yet.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: December 31, 2013 11:20AM
Posted by: gav
The fact that he needed a 2nd operation is in itself worrying, though the doctors did sound more positive.

The operation to remove the second haematoma was in the left side of the brain (his first was on his right, the side he apparently hit his head) and further in the brain itself rather than on the surface. They discovered additional lesions which require hour-by-hour checks.

I'll wait for a doctor-human translation from Gary.

Rooting for you Michael!
Date: December 31, 2013 02:41PM
Posted by: Carlitox
A very touching piece of writing by DC, a driver who once said his ultimate goal was not to be considered like MSC. Shows how much of an impact this has caused in our community.

About today's update, can't hide that I'm happy but obviously still wary. Praying as hard as I can right now.

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: December 31, 2013 02:44PM
Posted by: Isaint
Yes, Second operation was to the left of the skull ... the hematoma ( swelling ) was actually larger on that side. The initial swelling which was on the right hand side of Michael s head ( where impact took place ) was apparently on the outside of the brain.
After seeing an opportunity to eliminate the swelling to the left safely, doctors consulted with his family, who agreed and so the second operation took place. The operation lasted two hours and took place at 10pm on Monday night.
There are other hematoma and that's what makes the situation difficult because they are not accessible but they are smaller and so far the doctors are able to stop the evolution of these. There is also evidence of additional lesions.
All in all however, the doctors were surprised to find a slight improvement ' much better than yesterday' and continue to monitor him hourly.

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: December 31, 2013 09:46PM
Posted by: EC83
The next few days are absolutely key. It's important to keep him in an induced coma till all hematomas have subsided and his brain has returned to its normal size. Only then will we start to know what the true extent of his injury is I think. The next 3 days or so are critical.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2013 09:52PM by EC83.
Date: December 31, 2013 11:19PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
EC83 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The next few days are absolutely key. It's
> important to keep him in an induced coma till all
> hematomas have subsided and his brain has returned
> to its normal size. Only then will we start to
> know what the true extent of his injury is I
> think. The next 3 days or so are critical.

looks like his birthday will be the decisive day of his life so far, ironically. We all believe in you Schumi!
Date: January 03, 2014 12:55PM
Posted by: Muks_C
this whole situation is heartbreaking for all of us who follow F1, and in particular for those of us who have worshipped Michael through the years. Like others have said, Michael was F1 for me and my first hero in sport, as i unfortunately missed the Senna era.

This may sound weird, but i've always dreaded the day we would hear news like about his accident. When people are doing their sport (F1, WRC) etc, we know where they are in the world and we know the dangers are, as much as is possible, controlled and reduced. when they're in their free time on holiday and things are more uncontrolled, things like this can happen. Remember Colin McRae's death and the shock that gave us all? since then i've always hoped we would never hear of an accident for any sportsman, but in particlular for MS (being a huge fan as you all know so I care about him more).

People may hate him for his on-track ethics and decisions, but i'm glad people are able to see beyond that now and can see he's just a father, husband, brother and son.

we are lucky he didn't die immediately and the doctors at least have a chance to save him. although no one knows what his long term outlook can be yet.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: January 03, 2014 01:24PM
Posted by: J i m
I think the motorsport community has rallied round admirably... but dammit the general media are still up to their tricks. I mean someone even sunk as low as to dress up as a priest to sneak into his room. I just wish they'd back the @#$%& off now. For one thing it's a invasion of privacy and dignity of the Schumacher family... and another is there's unlikely to be any tangible news worth hearing regarding his condition for a while now. So they'd be as well off as buggering off and leaving his family and medics in peace.

Date: January 04, 2014 08:51PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
To add to Jim's earlier point, you have to be careful who you follow for information regarding this ever evolving story.

Some of the small-time blogs and websites want to be first out there with information, which has led to a whole heap of false rumours floating around masquerading as journalism.

You might have seen, but even Andrew Benson of BBC Sport was caught out earlier today.

I'd keep to the top sites, in this case certainly AUTOSPORT, and not to blow our own horn, but also RichlandF1, where we have reported only the straight facts since the incident first occurred on Monday.

From a personal stand point I've not enjoyed the last few days at all, as with many others of you, I was brought up on the battles of Schumacher and Hakkinen, and Michael was a favourite of mine back then.

It is still very early doors, and we could have no information for a while yet, but I'm hopeful that Schumi will make a decent recovery. If anyone is going to fight back from an injury like this, it is him.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: January 04, 2014 09:29PM
Posted by: Slash
you're right, i don't like what i read on some websites, i will stick to the news offered by serious magazines that only inform after press conferences.

i have not had it easy these last days either, everytime i wake up the first thing i do is look if any new info is available. in 2006 when Michael retired, even thou the rumour was strong, i cried.. Monza i remember in the PC when he announced it.
the good thing i read was that Cristiano DaMatta suffered a similar brain accident, and he made a very speedy recovery, in fact he was able to race again.... i hope we'll see Michael again at the ROC
Date: January 05, 2014 12:33AM
Posted by: gav
Ferrari2007
and not to blow our own horn, but also RichlandF1, where we have reported only the straight facts since the incident first occurred on Monday.

And you're not blowing your own trumpet. I've seen a few references to the site elsewhere, with credit given for only reporting what's known, so thumbs up.

Speaking of the individual (which I make a point of doing very seldomly) I've always sat on the fence with Schumacher, with vastly contrasting thoughts depending on his success at the time.

My first real association with him, like many others I'm sure, was in 1994. I hadn't really followed his progress up until that point. I'd watched every race from some time in 1989, but I loved Mansell. It was his glowing praise in one of his books that I got for Christmas in 1992 that pointed out Michael's potential in the future. He wasn't wrong. Looking back, at that point Schumacher hadn't displayed any of his ruthlessness - clearly that was primarily reserved for the finality of championship battles - but prowess and forethought were clearly abundant within.

During the Hill vs Schumacher years of 1994 and 1995, I swung in Senna's and Damon's direction. Being a Mansell fan, I was genetically programmed to hate Senna, but during 1993 and in the dawn of 1994 somehow with him appearing the underdog, that swung briefly (and now permanently), and despite Schumacher having only won, what, one grand prix(?) prior to 1994, I found myself supporting Senna. That only served to increase during the season, following Senna's death, and Williams trying to take the battle to him. Of course, Michael made it easy with his and his teams' willingness to push the boundaries, but I maintain, irrespective of Schumacher's intentions, we'd have poured scorn on Hill for taking a punt at that corner had the internet been what it is back then. Somehow Hill came out as the victim, but Schumacher had utterly dominated the season from the off, despite an unprecedented number of penalties, deserved or otherwise.

When he moved to Ferrari, once more I found myself willing on the underdog. After the Williams dominance of 1996 carried over to 1997, I wanted Schumacher to win. As loveable, in an Finnish sort of way, that Hakkinen was, I wanted Schumacher to take the fight to the dominant McLarens. Hungary in 1998, that third stint, remains, by some distance, the most formidable, aggressive and mesmerising display of driving I have ever witnessed, respectively or otherwise. As some sort of homage to Schumacher I watched it back the other day, and I was still mesmerised - it's more than every bit what I remembered. Senna and Vettel could and can take a couple of seconds a lap out of a car on the best of days with the best car, but in dry conditions on such a short lap, I don't think I have ever seen a driver take three seconds each lap out of two cars which were nearly half a second faster the day before. The only drive which comes close is 1999, when he turned up at Sepang, barely able to walk in a straight line, and went and stuck it on pole by a second... not content with that, he, despite what must have been a shortcoming in fitness in the most humid race of the year, was way above the pace of 2-stop drivers while carrying 1-stop fuel loads, able to turn it on at will or hold up the opposition without breaking a sweat. Ferrari would have walked the championship in 1999 if they hadn't gone and broken his brakes and leg at Silverstone.

Of course, he went on to utterly dominate the next five years and I, along with the rest of the human world, wished someone would take it to him as we wish someone would step up and challenge Sebastian now. Montoya was very nearly that man (oh how I wished Interlagos 2001 would be repeated many times that season), but ultimately it took a change in the tyre regulations and the most relentless man currently in F1 to finally grasp that trophy from him. And in 2006, he still refused to let go in the tug-of-war until Fisichella's wing disagreed with his rear tyre. A man that had had more success than any of us could dream of still refusing to budge after sixteen years and seven titles.

Not content, he wasn't finished. His quench returned. I loved the circus around his comeback. As much as I wanted the rest of the human populace to beat him during the latter half of those Ferrari years, I yearned for him to get a race win with Mercedes. That run in Montreal; his pole position at Monaco showed he still had the ability to turn it on. He might have lost some of his killer instinct, that much was shown by his relatively friendly paddock demeanor, but he could still dish it out when he wanted to. As much as most scorn his comeback, I have always applauded it. A bloke in his 40s, old enough to be the father of many of his opponents and having been through all he had been through previously, entering the top level of motorsport, with completely foreign cars on finite margins, and competing with the 'golden generation' still blows me away. For the past couple of years I haven't even been able to pick up my steering wheel and get within a couple of seconds of my Grand Prix Legends performances and I'm only 34... this was a family man a decade older trying to take it to people nearly half his age.

He might not come back as the Schumacher we know. God forbid he might not even live. But he's still one of the best, and perhaps the best, this sport has ever seen. He's probably the best I ever saw (Senna and Alonso included). I just hope he's still able to appreciate what he did pressing two pedals and turning a circular thing. It makes you think, like never before, that if such a relentless, unstoppable human being can lie prone the way he is, that the human body is both capable of some magnificent things but is yet so vulnerable.

I'm not sure I subscribe to the possibility of losing my life doing something I love, and in such instances it's easy to suggest that life is a cruel thing, but if could go back 34 years, I'd swap mine. I'd have loved to have been him. I'd still love to be Michael Schumacher. He still is.
Date: January 05, 2014 02:24AM
Posted by: Morbid
gav Wrote:
>
> Speaking of the individual (which I make a point
> of doing very seldomly) I've always sat on the
> fence with Schumacher, with vastly contrasting
> thoughts depending on his success at the time.
>
> My first real association with him, like many
> others I'm sure, was in 1994. I hadn't really
> followed his progress up until that point. I'd
> watched every race from some time in 1989, but I
> loved Mansell. It was his glowing praise in one
> of his books that I got for Christmas in 1992 that
> pointed out Michael's potential in the future. He
> wasn't wrong. Looking back, at that point
> Schumacher hadn't displayed any of his
> ruthlessness - clearly that was primarily reserved
> for the finality of championship battles - but
> prowess and forethought were clearly abundant
> within.
>

Oh really?

Macao 1990 F3000

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: January 05, 2014 05:18PM
Posted by: Robert
Couldn't resist, could you Morbid?

I've been lurking on this forum for a long long time, and recently I can't help but notice every post you make is desperate to start a debate or an argument. Sometimes it's just not called for and adds nothing to discussion.

Anyhow, as I came here to say, best wishes to Michael. His win-at-all costs mentality hasn't always done F1 any favours but he was a great driver, and is a great man in many ways.

Batracer - the online racing manager game - join here :) [batracer.com]
Date: January 05, 2014 09:17PM
Thanks for the commendation, Gav. As someone who's opinion I highly respect on this forum that means a lot.

I must also say that your tribute to Schumacher was excellent. I highly enjoyed reading it. I also remember Sepang 99 with absolute awe.

Date: January 05, 2014 09:57PM
Posted by: mortal
I can't help but notice every post you make is desperate to start a debate or an argument.

There's nothing wrong with that. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Whether you agree with it or not is a matter of choice. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: January 05, 2014 10:03PM
Isn't that effectively the definition of a troll?

Date: January 05, 2014 11:36PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
Wonderful posts around here guys, as always!

While I was reading what Gav recalls as best moments in Schumacher's career, and especially in his comeback, I recalled a very strong moment too.

It happened during the season opener in Australia in 2012. I remember that Vettel was fifth, behind both Merc., and only needed a lap to pass Rosberg WITHOUT the help of DRS. After that however, Vettel spent like 10 laps behind schumacher, had DRS TWICE per lap and still, could not make any impression on Schuey. Indeed, Vettel actually lost it into turn 1/2 and went out of the track under the pressure.

Vettel would have needed more than those 10 laps to pass Schumacher, had it not been for the car letting the latter down.

Another unforgettable moment, was Monza 2011. I can recall shouting like a madman in the student dormitory for over 25 laps. How schuey kept hamilton at bay was just awesome. There was everything in it, schuey's perfect defending technique, his motivation to fight for every position for as long as it takes, his ruthlessness (as he drove hamilton off track). What a racer indeed!

And finally, let's hope that the less bad news there is about his condition, the better sign it is. Forza Schumi

P.S. did you mention how much ferrari did to support him, and how little mercedes actually got involved, if at all!? Also, most of the world media posts pictures of his Ferrari years, not his time in mercedes.
Date: January 06, 2014 01:08AM
Posted by: Morbid
Robert Wrote:
> Couldn't resist, could you Morbid?
>
> I've been lurking on this forum for a long long
> time, and recently I can't help but notice every
> post you make is desperate to start a debate or an
> argument. Sometimes it's just not called for and
> adds nothing to discussion.

I could post a rebuttal, but I doubt it would go unopposed. There seems to be a lot of emotion behind this, and if perused would hijack the thread. I have no intention of that. If you really want this debate over my morally corrupt and parasitic character, feel free to repeat this exercise in another thread, that doesn't have the same sensitive content.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: January 06, 2014 07:21AM
Posted by: EC83
Brilliant piece by Gav, touching and very well written. Liked that one. :)
I can particularly relate to the opening paragraph or two. It's always nice to think back to where your association with a particular driver has its origins. 1992-1993 is when my association with Michael started too, more 1993 in fact.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2014 07:22AM by EC83.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy