2013 United States Grand Prix *** Spoilers ***

Posted by smoglessbutton4 
Re: 2013 United States Grand Prix *** Spoilers ***
Date: November 16, 2013 07:44PM
Posted by: EC83
That was sheer stupidity from Gutierrez in Q1. Grid-drop coming up for him anytime soon, surely.

Date: November 16, 2013 08:03PM
Holy @#$%&, that was one insane final sector. Unbelievable form by Seb!

Date: November 16, 2013 09:20PM
Posted by: J i m
Maldonaldo isn't very happy...

Date: November 16, 2013 10:00PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
J i m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maldonaldo isn't very happy...

Good. The quicker he drops his sense of entitlement the better.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: November 17, 2013 02:08AM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Here's my take on the three stand-out performers from qualifying. Vettel, Hulkenberg and Bottas.

Interested to know if you agree with my take on their performances on Saturday.

[richlandf1.com]

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: November 17, 2013 03:19AM
Posted by: gareth
Ricciardo six tenths on top over JEV again - I think recent performances confirm that RBR made the right choice for next year with that one. Will be interesting to see how Dan goes taking advantage of his impressive qualy performances next year, hopefully starting regularly from the front row or two.

Caterhams and Marussias were neck and neck (disregarding Chilton)
Date: November 17, 2013 05:16AM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
regarding the driver of the day-topic:

1. vettel was awesome! yet, from the tv footage it was obvious that webber was fastest in sector one, then dropped just a little in sector two and from -.486 after s2, he only beat his time by .250 at the end of the lap. So just by a mistake he lost over 2 tenths. still vettel was there to capitalize, so good job!

2. bottas! Fantastic! just awesome drive indeed!

3. hulk. Sheer briliance in a car that shouldnt be so high on the grid in my view.

4. how about heikki?! i believe that was some drive by him today! what do you think
Date: November 17, 2013 06:08AM
J i m Wrote:
> Maldonaldo isn't very happy...

It always amazes me when a driver accuses his team of sabotaging his car, since inherently that would involve them sabotaging themselves. Epic logic going on there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2013 06:09AM by EC83.
Date: November 17, 2013 06:10AM
Posted by: gareth
EC83 Wrote:
> J i m Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Maldonaldo isn't very happy...
>
> It always amazes me when a driver accuses his team
> of sabotaging his car, since inherently that would
> involve them sabotaging themselves. Epic logic
> going on there.

He is a muppet isn't he?
Date: November 17, 2013 06:25AM
By the way, I've been watching the replay of quali on Sky F1, and Max Chilton is really starting to piss me off now. He's like a Tesco Value James Hunt, bastardized with Ralph Firman.

Date: November 17, 2013 10:58AM
We're set for a good race.. A few cars perhaps out of position.. It'll be interesting to see what Rosberg, Button and Massa can do. I think the reliability permitting it ought to be an easy Red Bull one - two although Grosjean and Hulkenberg could take advantage of Webber's usual tardy start and at least make the podium scrap interesting.

The big hope is that Bottas can carry his qualifying competitiveness into the race, it's imperative that he gets a good start and at least holds track position through the first stint. One would assume that he's on the same tyre compound as the rest off the top ten so hopefully his first lap tyre warmup issues won't be so pronounced. Points are the aim, points are the hope so go get em!

Maldonaldo is upset... I sense a on track incident of sheer stupidity on his part is on the cards.

Date: November 17, 2013 11:47AM
Posted by: Nickv
I can't remember the last time when a driver was so universally disliked through the entire F1 fanbase as Maldonado is today. We've had Grosjean last year, Nelson Piquet Jnr., Yuji Ide, who all showed great inability to drive, but at least they weren't a dick about it, so didn't get as much hate as Maldonado does. I have yet to see someone who is genuinely happy Maldonado may go to Lotus.
Date: November 17, 2013 12:29PM
Well... there are plenty of Venezuelan fanboys on the Williams facebook pages (there's still a good few Bruno fanboys as well actually) .. but yeah Maldonaldo is being particularly twatish at the moment.

I think it's the sheer precious arrogance at the moment which is really annoying. He seems to think that he has carried the team and that they somehow owe his some vast great debt of honor. But one... just one good result Pastor... everything else was wasted opportunity, incidents, penalties, fines, reprimands. On at least two occasions he deliberately drove his car at a competitor and came up with feeble lies and excuses afterwards. Nothing ever seems to be his fault even though he's usually in the center of it all.

The shame of it is that he could actually be a very good driver... if he wasn't a grade one twat on top of it. Williams are well to be rid of him.

Date: November 17, 2013 12:59PM
If he does go to Lotus and Grosjean manages to keep the other drive, they're in for a fun season, that's for sure.

The reason I'm not as harsh on him as many is because it's clear from 2012 that he does have real talent as a driver - his weakness is his temperament.

Date: November 17, 2013 01:59PM
While he has the raw speed, he very much lacks the race craft and sense. IMO, those are vital parts of being talented as a driver. Raw speed isn't everything. His temperament (we call it temperament, but let's be honest, we all really mean hot-headedness and sometimes even idiocy) is clearly overshadowing and affecting his speed.
Date: November 17, 2013 02:16PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
sounds like montoya, doesnt it?

the thing with those drivers is that their temperament gives them many headaches and has a detrimental effect on them. yet it is also source of some aggression that makes them do things on the track other drivers cant, e.g. maldonado overtaking bottas in japan on the lat corner is the same schumacher did to barrichello at monaco in 2005, or what hill did to viileneuve at the very same vconrer in 1998.

Although someonepointed out that it is unheard that a team sabbotage their dirver, i cant agreee with that, sorry! Here are several examples:

1. honda admitted they favored senna and prost said that his engine was not always specified as he had demanded.
2. alonso, from what i have read over the years, also got sabottaged in mclaren (remember: "we are not racing raikkonen, we are racing alonso";).
3. furthermore, there are still discussions about whether irvine was sabottaged in suzuka 1999 (irvine himself said, "in 2000 i was .9 tenths behind michael while driving a jaguar! one year before i was 2 secs. behind in the same car";).
4. And how about renault sabotaging nelsninho piquet?
5. and red bull taking the fron wing off webber's car to put it on vettel's. it is as clear sabotage as you can get in racing.
6. massa was hampered million times by ferrari throughout 2011 and 2012. they made him stay on track as long as possible to slow the cars on fresh tyres, so that alonso can catch up. everyone though, knew that would hamper massa's race
Date: November 17, 2013 02:42PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
1. That's a comment typical of Prost who loved to play the political game. Without trying Senna's engine it would be impossible to know if it was true or not.

2. Once Alonso made it clear that he wouldn't be staying, McLaren made the quite sensible choice of putting their major support behind Lewis. In no way did they sabotage Alonso, they were effectively racing against Alonso for the right for the #1 for 2008. in fact, if McLaren had backed Lewis earlier in the season then he would most likely have won the championship.

3. I wouldn't be surprised if Irvine is talking utter bollocks. He always did have a penchant for drama, and wasn't short of self confidence. Regardless, if Schuey couldn't beat Hakkinen that day then Irvine would have had no chance, sabotaged car or not.

4. You are correct in this case.

5. If I remember correctly wasn't Seb ahead of Mark in the championship? Anyway, Red Bull have long favoured Seb. It has worked perfectly.

6. Certainly Ferrari have played the team game to maximise Alonso's chances, but they have never knowingly sabotaged Massa's race. What would be the purpose of that. They want to score the maximum amount of points possible as a team.

Going back to your earlier comment, I also agree that Heikki was very impressive, but wanted to keep my piece short and sweet. In fact both the Lotus guys were.

Edit: Agree with you Gareth. Ricciardo quietly got the job done in qualifying again. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how he performs in the Red Bull in 2014.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2013 02:44PM by Ferrari2007.
Date: November 17, 2013 03:18PM
Ferrari2007 Schreef:
> 4. You are correct in this case.

Except that it isn't comparable with Maldonados comments. Maldonado suggests that the team sabotaged his car in order to screw up his qualifying and therefore his race and chances of points. What Renault did was sacrificing Piquet's race in order get Alonso to the victory. While Renault's tactics gave the team a net gain of points, Williams' alleged tactics would result in a net loss. Therefore it is very unlikely Maldonados allegations are true.
Date: November 17, 2013 03:20PM
The 1989 Italian GP was pretty amusing. Prost had been bitching big time in the weeks before it about getting inferior equipment to Senna, particularly engine-wise. In the race Senna's engine blew and Prost's car ran perfectly.

LOL.

Date: November 17, 2013 03:25PM
Ferrari may have never overtly "sabotaged" Massa (or any of their number two drivers), but their favoritism of the lead driver very often disadvantaged Massa. Be that by a strategic call, a slightly slower pit-stop designed to switch track-position with the sister car or by deliberately incurring a grid penalty by changing healthy gearbox to enhance Alonso's grid spot which of-course happened here last year. Many of Massa's races have been hampered the loss of time and resulted in him loosing out to other drivers as well.

There is favoritism whether by design or not in every team.. it's nigh on impossible to treat drivers 100% equally.

Maldonaldo actually had favorable treatment by Williams, last year they used FP1 to give test mileage to Bottas, but never once was Maldonado required to relinquish his car for this purpose instead it was Bruno's track time which was compromised each time which will not have helped his struggles with getting the best of of the tyres in qualifying. In most teams the race drivers alternate (i.e. take turns) in relinquishing a car to a test/reserve/3rd driver for FP1.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy