2013 Korean Grand Prix ***Spoilers***

Posted by Toki 
Re: 2013 Korean Grand Prix ***Spoilers***
Date: October 06, 2013 04:38PM
Posted by: Carlitox
You know, in my country we have a saying for when someone is as unlucky as Webber: "To be peed by the dogs". Really summarises his race, and many others. Really glad he jumps ship to a better championship for him.

On a side note, amazing debut for Team Jeep F1! Leading a lap and all... LOL

And WTF was wrong with Nico's wing? Any ideas? :-O

Overall, averageish but fun.

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: October 06, 2013 05:37PM
Posted by: gav
Carlitox
And WTF was wrong with Nico's wing? Any ideas?

The wing was fine, but the nose cone became separated from the top of the chassis.
Date: October 09, 2013 01:20AM
Posted by: elcorredor
vettel skills or car skills?
Date: October 09, 2013 01:29AM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
As has always been the case in Formula One it is a combination of both.

The RB9 is clearly the class of the field, but Mark Webber continually fails to match Vettel over a weekend.

I'd also wager that Vettel is perhaps only second to Alonso in terms of completeness as a driver.

The idea that anyone could win in that car is utterly ridiculous. Sure, a lot of the top guys could and would win, but I doubt we'd see that utter domination that Vettel continues to display.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: October 09, 2013 03:51AM
Posted by: elcorredor
the vettel's car is more faster than webber's?
Date: October 09, 2013 05:28AM
I don't think so. It wouldn't really make any sense from Red Bull's point of view.

I've seen some people argue that Webber has been disadvantaged by the exhaust-blown diffusers on the most recent Red Bull's, which have been most prevalent in 2011, from Singapore in 2012 and then during 2013, during which each time Vettel has dominated.

Date: October 09, 2013 10:53AM
Posted by: J i m
The Red Bull car is as good as any other car and probably ultimately the best car with little question. However it does not enjoy a massively large advantage over it's imediate opposition the Lotus, Merc and Ferrari. If it did then you would expect Webber to be consistently on the front row and podium with Vettel, and the fact that he isn't can't all be explained away by "bad luck" (although he has had plenty).

No, if the RBR was really that dominant then they'd be finishing 1-2 most races. Therefore the fair conclusion is that Vettel is making the difference. Whether people choose to like him or not, he is one of the very best drivers in F1 today and when that's combined with the best overall car it equals wins and championships aplenty.

Date: October 09, 2013 10:20PM
Posted by: gav
The only issue I can see with Vettel is that he needs to feel absolutely comfortable with the car. Not in a Jenson Button 'aero balance' way, but in a 'he needs to be able to push it mechanically' way.

I can't say I've ever seen a driver who can drift so effortlessly and classily exiting a corner. It's not a big powerslide with smoke and big black lines, it's just that optimum-looking wheel spinning with the rear giving ever so slightly. It's not so evident now, with the tyre conservation and blown diffusers, but hopefully if we get to see some harder tyres in the coming years, it will resurface, as I find it genuinely awesome to watch.

I'd love to see him jump ship and have to rebuild the confidence he has with a completely different car and engine, or even how quickly he can adapt to the peakier to turbos next year. Still, with Red Bull being the works Renault team, we can assume the new power unit is tailored to them as much as is possible.
Date: October 10, 2013 12:34AM
Posted by: J i m
I think the new engines could be the biggest differential in form next year.

Pirelli are likely to construct a tyre with far less dedgegation for next year because it's got to the point where the resultant beauracy within F1 has created too much negative publicity for them so I expect the 2014 tyres to be behave a little more like the old Bridgestone era in some ways although perhapps not quite in that extreme.

I think we can reley on Adrian Newey and Red Bull to design and build a chassis which sets the standard. But I think the question lies in who out of Renault, Mercedes and Ferrari will have done the best job in developing the new 1.6 litre turbo engines and the newer KERS. Who will be most reliable? Can we realistically expect larger gaps between the performance of the engines than produced by the V8 era?

Next year making the difference may be outside of a driver's capability. It could well be beyond even a Vettel, Alonso or Hamilton to compensate for a substantially underpowered car. If one of the engine manufactures blunders we could even see a major shakeup in the form book. For example if Renault build a turnip of an engine and Mercedes build a peach then Red Bull could be vulnerable to Mercedes and McLaren, maybe even Force India but possibly not Williams :( ;)

Similarly if Ferrari build a corker then the day glo orange cars could return to championship honours and Maurussia could actually catapult into the midfield (that's slightly unlikely ;-) )

Date: October 10, 2013 01:37AM
I have an inclination that Marussia could pull out a surprise next year. The Cosworth engine is currently .5 of a second down each lap, so with a Ferrari engine bolted in, coupled with a great prospect in Bianchi as well as the fact that they bailed on their 2013 car in Spain back in May, they could be in with a shout of jumping into the midfield.

Otherwise it's time to pack up and go home as if it doesn't happen next year then I'm afraid it never will.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy