F1 may return to Austria

Posted by kedy89 
Re: F1 may return to Austria
Date: August 30, 2013 10:38AM
Posted by: J i m
I liked the actual circuit of both pre 94 and post 94 Imola.

But for a long time it had a knack of producing epic qualifying sessions but entirely underwhelming races.

I think it would be kind of cool to have more venues rotated, so classic venues could still host race every other season. Just one or two core venues like Monaco being a permanent fixture.

Date: August 30, 2013 11:26AM
Posted by: gav
Yeah, I wouldn't mind that, much like it used to be (France used to rotate Reims, Rouen and Clermont-Ferrand‎).

I'd much prefer the new venues to be rotated (expect Singapore—I love that race—and perhaps CotA), but you know the moment races are removed from an annual calendar, it'll be the classic venues which are chopped and changed.
Date: September 05, 2013 12:33PM
Posted by: senninho
The draft 2014 calendar has now been published:

DRAFT 2014 CALENDAR

March 16 - Australia (Melbourne)
March 23 - Malaysia (Sepang)
April 6 - China (Shanghai)
April 13 – Korea* (Korea International Circuit)
April 27 – Bahrain (Sakhir)
May 11 – Spain (Barcelona)
May 25 – Monaco (Monaco)
June 8 – Canada (Montreal)
June 22 – Austria (Red Bull Ring)
July 6 – Britain (Silverstone)
July 20 – Germany (Hockenheim)
July 27 – Hungary (Budapest)
August 24 – Belgium (Spa)
September 7 – Italy (Monza)
September 21 – Singapore (Marina Bay)
October 5 - Japan (Suzuka)
October 19 – Russia* (Sochi)
October 26 – Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)
November 9 – Mexico* (Mexico City)
November 16 – USA (Circuit of the Americas)
November 30 – Brazil (Interlagos)

* (subject to confirmation of track/contract)

Austria and Mexico are on there, and 'Mexico City' is the location. OOOOOOOOOOOH.

Date: September 05, 2013 03:51PM
New Jersey not making the cut again then...

Date: September 07, 2013 11:31AM
Posted by: SakuMiku
senninho Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The draft 2014 calendar has now been published:
>
> DRAFT 2014 CALENDAR
>
> March 16 - Australia (Melbourne)
> March 23 - Malaysia (Sepang)
> April 6 - China (Shanghai)
> April 13 – Korea* (Korea International Circuit)
> April 27 – Bahrain (Sakhir)
> May 11 – Spain (Barcelona)
> May 25 – Monaco (Monaco)
> June 8 – Canada (Montreal)
> June 22 – Austria (Red Bull Ring)
> July 6 – Britain (Silverstone)
> July 20 – Germany (Hockenheim)
> July 27 – Hungary (Budapest)
> August 24 – Belgium (Spa)
> September 7 – Italy (Monza)
> September 21 – Singapore (Marina Bay)
> October 5 - Japan (Suzuka)
> October 19 – Russia* (Sochi)
> October 26 – Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)
> November 9 – Mexico* (Mexico City)
> November 16 – USA (Circuit of the Americas)
> November 30 – Brazil (Interlagos)
>
> * (subject to confirmation of track/contract)
>
> Austria and Mexico are on there, and 'Mexico City'
> is the location. OOOOOOOOOOOH.

Nice calendar. Shame to see no New Jersey (I love street circuits), but triple dose of Asian babes early as Korea moved to April ^^

A Scotsman in Indonesia. A fan of the Far East & all their drivers & an advocate of women in motorsport / GPGNC - S3: Team Philippines, S4/S5: Team Japan, S6: Team Indonesia (S6 runner-up)
Date: September 07, 2013 04:44PM
Before we get too excited about various things though apparently this draft calendar isn't even a draft.

It's a hoax.

Date: September 07, 2013 05:27PM
Posted by: EC83
It's getting to the time when next year's calendar gets released every year anyway, so it can't be too much longer till we find out for sure.

I'd like to see more European races held in spring or autumn instead of summer. That would increase the likelihood of epic races(like the 1995 European GP for example... @#$%& yeah) and create more diversity alongside the hotter races in tropical/exotic locations.

Date: September 07, 2013 05:51PM
J i m écrivait:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I liked the actual circuit of both pre 94 and post
> 94 Imola.

I always liked it before '94 - it was one of the races I looked forward to most. The stretch from Traguardo up to Tosa was great to watch for slipstreaming(one of the best examples was Zanardi and Barrichello having an insane battle during the '93 race, swapping places several times in a few moments and nearly taking Hill off in the process). I always felt it produced great races too. (The first race I ever watched on it was the 1990 GP, which was a particularly entertaining race, so maybe I always judged it on that alone.)

The changes in '95 destroyed its character, but they did make it a more flowing track with the modifications to Acque Minerali and the removal of the tight chicane just before Traguardo.

I wouldn't mind it being back on the calendar in the future, if that ever happened.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2013 05:58PM by EC83.
Date: September 07, 2013 06:41PM
Posted by: gav
I always enjoyed driving the track, but for some reason it never quite clicked for me as a viewer, and I don't think it's got anything to do with 1994.

It was great fun in GPx when you turned all of the aids off, but unlike at most circuits, you were at a massive disadvantage to those who kept any degree of steering help. Normally I'd be around the same pace as Andrew Davey in the F1W league, but I was something like 2 seconds a lap slower than him at Imola.
Date: September 07, 2013 08:54PM
The old-school Imola was a track of two halves. The stretch at the start of the lap was fun to drive because of the speeds involved but a bit dull, but the section from Tosa to Rivazza was awesome fun.

Date: October 08, 2013 12:43AM
Posted by: anze89
has anybody got an idea about ticket prices? zeltweg is only about 160 kilometers away from my place, so if the ticket prices will be reasonable I'll definitely go to the race

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2013 12:44AM by anze89.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy