The end for Bernie?

Posted by mortal 
The end for Bernie?
Date: July 17, 2013 11:59PM
Posted by: mortal
Bernie Ecclestone charged with bribery, read the news here.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Re: The end for Bernie?
Date: July 18, 2013 06:04AM
Posted by: EC83
Saw a few Tweets about this yesterday, found it quite surprising somehow even though there have been noises about it.

I think there's every chance it'll finish his career. Even if he isn't found guilty, his pride and morale will take a pounding which at his age he'll struggle to recover from.

Date: July 18, 2013 08:29AM
Posted by: thestig88
I hope it is the end! as much as he has made F1 into what it is, and as much as he is a character, he's slowly killing it in my opinion with his greed, the history is slowly being lost with classic tracks being ditched in favour of boring tilke-dromes in far-off countries with no F1 interest (but pots of gold to pay bernie), the teams getting a raw deal financially, DRS, Pirelli etc etc making for "fake" racing, and my biggest bugbear, his stinginess when it comes to footage (youtube vid's etc) theirs a goldmine of footage from over the years but he doesn't want anyone to see it, its either "pay loads to watch it live then buy the rubbish end of year dvd and thats all you can have".

I've followed F1 for 17 years and a lot of them years i wouldn't miss even a second of the coverage, these days (even with work and family commitments taking priority) I really can't be bothered with modern F1 and I lay that firmly at bernies door! Thank goodness for my personal library of classic F1 footage!
Date: July 18, 2013 01:51PM
He might think he has the sport's best interests at heart, but yeah, he has taken it in an increasingly manufactured direction over the last 15 years or so.

One thing I disagree with: Why should him "taking F1 to new countries" be a good thing? I don't think it necessarily is. Sure, it might bring F1 to new markets and audiences, but at the same time that means it's turning its back on the ones it's had for over half a century, apparently without bothering, and that's not good. It should be taking in both.
And the problem he and his organisation have over TV coverage pisses me right off - I've lost count of the number of times I've YouTubed a classic race only to find FOM have had it(or a section of it) taken down. Just let people upload things FFS!

He's past it, quite frankly. I've been one of Bernie's biggest fans in the past, but it's time for him to go now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2013 02:25PM by EC83.
Date: July 18, 2013 02:44PM
Posted by: thestig88
His issue with youtube vids and footage and all commercial aspects of F1) will be a case of supply and demand - decrease supply which increases demand which increases the price people have to pay him for material!!!! but in his case its a false economy as it is not sustainable if he keeps driving fans, like my self, away!
Date: July 18, 2013 06:09PM
Posted by: gav
The problem is that when Bernie goes, his job will be taken by a number-pusher. He's a business guy himself, but he's also an F1 man, being driver through manager and team owner.

His replacement will surely be a solely businessman. Hopefully they'll understand the importance of history and tradition in F1 and we'll not see a continued mass-exodus to the countries willing to pay top-dollar—something that would surely all but destroy the sport they need to succeed for their business model to work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2013 06:09PM by gav.
Date: July 18, 2013 07:00PM
Posted by: Morbid
I won't be saddened to see him leave.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: July 19, 2013 06:33AM
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The problem is that when Bernie goes, his job will
> be taken by a number-pusher. He's a business guy
> himself, but he's also an F1 man, being driver
> through manager and team owner.
>
> His replacement will surely be a solely
> businessman. Hopefully they'll understand the
> importance of history and tradition in F1 and
> we'll not see a continued mass-exodus to the
> countries willing to pay top-dollar—something
> that would surely all but destroy the sport they
> need to succeed for their business model to work.

An ideal replacement would be someone who's been along a similar career path, and also has a similar business mentality... Niki Lauda maybe?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy