Re: F1′s Missing Heroines
Date: July 01, 2013 05:33PM
Posted by: Soutsen
mortal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> blah-blah-blah...
I rest my case.

Whoa. Well said, Mal (Y)

First of all, excuse me, but I am not english, so it's little bit hard to me to compare this article with any other. I talked about the topic of this article in my 1st post. But yet I read Dan's writings, and I found it quite interesting indeed. Most notable and interesting to me there is someone with name of Zoe Wenham. Look, she mentioned what the "lack of female role models in the sport is the biggest barrier" for females. Really? What a quack? Come on, it sounds such insignificant and tiny imao. Since when F1 drivers needs for any 'role model'? What for you need 'role model'? Who was Senna's 'role model'? Why just the story of man's success cant be 'role model' for females? Isn't it enough just the desire to fight, desire to win? Natural ambitions? 'Biggest barrier'...huh. And when Zoe Wenham talks about: ''If a female gets the chance to be in Formula 1 then they’ll know how to target their training''. Sigh, it's just another wrong pullshit again. Where is her goddamned logic? At first you need to be trained, and then you got a chance to be in F1 and not the opposite. Her sentence looks like if man would said - 'oh if I had a chance to met a beautiful girl who could love me at first sight, so then I would know how to target my training". Gosh, just start to train yourself and stop bitching and the everything will be fine, but now your excuses sounds so weak. And notwithstanding with Dan's article I still wanna say something:

Giovanna Amati is clearly not the poor girl who just had bad promotion. She was unsuccessful in any racing category not only in F1. Just too slow. And Lombardi received her half-score for 6th and LAST place as she was the last of those who was at the time on the track (any others just retired or had damage). She too wasn't any kind of the great drivers. She won Mexican Formula Ford championship where she competed with amateur gringos. Her next best achievement is 5th place in 1974 Formula 5000 Europe championship. So it says her racing ability level was approximately the same as Bob Evans, Richard Robarts or Vernon Schuppan and other dimmed drivers like that. Nothing more than this. Next is Susie Wolff who got 4 points after 7 full seasons in DTM. Gosh... pretty talented indeed to be not racing test-driver in her own husband's team. I even not speak about Maria De Vilotta who crashed at the straight-line speed test session (don't get me wrong it is very tragic and not funny and maybe it could even happen with anyone else. But still it happened with her). And I not talking about Sarah Fisher, Milka Duno, Simona de Silvestro, Ana Beatriz Figuereido, Pippa Mann, Katherine Legge and other indycar frying-pan-drivers... So Sir Stirling Moss knows what he talking about. Motorsport has existed for over a hundred years. And only 0,0000....00001% of women ever to come at the start of the different races were any successful. Shirley Muldowney, Michèle Mouton, Jutta Kleinschmidt, Danica Patrick, Keeley Grant :-) and some few others, versus 99,9... percents of successful male drivers. So this is fact if you want to talk about facts. And isn't it shows the reason why there is no girls in F1? Or you think that the main problem of females is me? Or either the people who 'believe a woman's place is in front of the sink... blah-blah-blah'? I am not sexist. There is nothing linked with sexism. Or you think that 'Olympic Games' should be renamed to 'Sexist Games'? Where you seen in Olympics the sport category where males and females are competing together on the same venue? Figure skating? I love females but all I said is not my imagination, you know, I said about chess - so among more than 1300 chess grandmasters there only 27 are female. Maybe they also have problems with role models or bad promotion or whatever else I dont know. But this is real fact.

P.S. And you are clearly must be kidding me if you are still think that Vicky Piria is any talented after you watched her career summary there [en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2013 06:14PM by Soutsen.
Date: July 01, 2013 07:21PM
Posted by: phantaman
(Y)

Malgosia Rdest

[www.formula4.com]

official website => [www.gosiardest.pl]

----signature--------------------------------------------------------

RELEASE => Physics (under FIA Technical Regulations)
MagicDatas? Setups? Pit Stop Strategies? Track Specific Performances? Up2Date GP?
Power Torque Curve? Where's this stuff? All download is available at ..
Date: July 01, 2013 08:10PM
Posted by: Dahie
Soutsen schrieb:
> […]

Role models apply at an early age, when any children are testing interests and hobbiess and look where they may "fit in". You may be interested in something, but if you don't feel you can fit in, you will not go through with it. If you can recognize yourself in the people performing the work, hobby or sport, you have much higher motivation to join and stick with it. Don't argue with ambition or fitness. This applies much earlier, before any serious racing career is on the way where these factors come into play.

Gender roles are an important factor and so yes, the lack of female drivers also causes the lack of female race drivers of younger age… the rest is statistics…

Interesting read in this regard:
Studies have been performed, Math results for female students vary depending on whether you tell them women couldn't do math, or if they are inspired by successful female scientists: [psp.sagepub.com]

Website | Blog | Twitter | CTDP: Site Blog Twitter
Date: July 01, 2013 09:14PM
Dahie Wrote:
> Soutsen schrieb:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > […]
>
> Role models apply at an early age, when any
> children are testing interests and hobbiess and
> look where they may "fit in". You may be
> interested in something, but if you don't feel you
> can fit in, you will not go through with it. If
> you can recognize yourself in the people
> performing the work, hobby or sport, you have much
> higher motivation to join and stick with it. Don't
> argue with ambition or fitness. This applies much
> earlier, before any serious racing career is on
> the way where these factors come into play.
>
> Gender roles are an important factor and so yes,
> the lack of female drivers also causes the lack of
> female race drivers of younger age… the rest is
> statistics…

Thanks for this as far as I am not enlightened in psychology. You mean that society causes or affects little girls to play with dolls and not think about the engines etc. But still some of them have chosen to be a racer. Plenty of them. And they are weak. Very few women were a competitive. All this female drivers for me seem to be similar to Andrej Pejic but only on contrary. Same kind of deviation.

PS Special for lovers of this kind of stuff. Here is typical female "auto-racing" driver:
[en.wikipedia.org]
Just cute face to advertising some lipstick. And nothing really linked with the race driving...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2013 09:24PM by Soutsen.
Date: July 01, 2013 10:54PM
Posted by: mortal
I do not see where you addressed my point that you made the statement that women belong in front of the sink?

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: July 01, 2013 11:58PM
Posted by: n00binio
Morbid schrieb:
> While you search for that, I'll present a layman's
> article, that is built on research, written by a
> woman, that contradicts you:
>
> [science.howstuffworks.com]
> y/men-vs-women-upper-body-strength.htm

just one tiny remark: what this article mentions is - as far as i understood - absolute strength and not strenght normalized by body weight which would be the more relevant case for things like race driving. i guess it will only change the numbers by a factor of about 1.5 so the point still stands

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: July 01, 2013 11:58PM
Posted by: EC83
I never realised Borat is actually a member here. @#$%& hell!

Date: July 02, 2013 12:01AM
Posted by: mortal
Borat? LOL!

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: July 02, 2013 02:49AM
Posted by: Isaint
Morbid Wrote:
> While you search for that, I'll present a layman's
> article, that is built on research, written by a
> woman, that contradicts you:
>
> y/men-vs-women-upper-body-strength.htm

Well, it doesn't actually contradict me because I never wrote it ...... it was from an article which Like I said, I will find .... I also stated
that I lent more to your observations but 'hey-ho' ...... like I said I will find the article ..............

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: July 02, 2013 04:44AM
Posted by: Morbid
n00binio Wrote:
> Morbid schrieb:
> -----
> > While you search for that, I'll present a
> layman's
> > article, that is built on research, written by
> a
> > woman, that contradicts you:
> >
> >
>
> > y/men-vs-women-upper-body-strength.htm
>
> just one tiny remark: what this article mentions
> is - as far as i understood - absolute strength
> and not strenght normalized by body weight which
> would be the more relevant case for things like
> race driving. i guess it will only change the
> numbers by a factor of about 1.5 so the point
> still stands

If you look at untrained individuals, then yeah 1.5 would be a good rule of thumb. But if you are looking at people that have done extensive training for years, and that is what we are talking about, you are closer to the 2:1 ratio (depending on exercise chosen).

Isaint Wrote:
> Morbid Wrote:
> -----
> > While you search for that, I'll present a
> layman's
> > article, that is built on research, written by
> a
> > woman, that contradicts you:
> >
> >
>
> > y/men-vs-women-upper-body-strength.htm
>
>
> Well, it doesn't actually contradict me because I
> never wrote it ...... it was from an article which
> Like I said, I will find .... I also stated
> that I lent more to your observations but 'hey-ho'
> ...... like I said I will find the article
> ..............

We all have our knowledge and opinions from somewhere, so from that logic, none of us never mean anything. Yet that isn't true. The important thing to look at here, is that if you subscribe to something, then it is yours. As the proponent, you are forwarding it and own it.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: July 02, 2013 08:21AM
mortal Wrote:
> I do not see where you addressed my point that you
> made the statement that women belong in front of
> the sink?

Come on... You have some problem with the sinks? This is your personal obsession? Or what you want from me by asking this question repeatedly? If you accuse me of sexism - oh, you are free to think of all that you take into your head. Okay I'm ready to bring my official apologies to all the thousandths of females who might be offended by my extremely aggressive and hugely provocative post:
'Dear women, from this moment you are no more chained to your kitchen sinks. And you are all free to go in bed, or to mess about the gardening, or to chat with your friends on the phone, or to purchase of cosmetics, or whatever else you basically want to do'
But since this topic is definitely not about sinks I hope this is my last post about it there.Dog

Date: July 02, 2013 10:05AM
Soutsen schrieb:
>
> Thanks for this as far as I am not enlightened in
> psychology. You mean that society causes or
> affects little girls to play with dolls and not
> think about the engines etc. But still some of
> them have chosen to be a racer. Plenty of them.
> And they are weak. Very few women were a
> competitive. All this female drivers for me seem
> to be similar to Andrej Pejic but only on
> contrary. Same kind of deviation.

As I mentioned, if you have very few girls in karting, even fewer will rise in their career. Ferrari2007 also mentions this in his article: You have a strong selection of talents in racing, you don't see the thousands of racing enthusiats who did not manage to get into motorsports beyond karting. There are so few female kart drivers, that those few who DO make a racing career are regarded as special and are under increased observation and pressure as the article puts it. Those few female drivers are compare dagainst ALL and especially the best male drivers.

In the end it's statistics: You have a bell curve of driver's talents, very few are on the upper tail of the curve who do have a chance of being in F1 one day. The more samples (ie drivers) you have, the wider the bell curve will be, the more "extreme" talents can be found. If you have very few drivers (ie female drivers), the chance of finding similar extremes is much smaller, because there are less talented drivers because there are less drivers overall.
The same statistics explain why smaller countries have generally smaller chances of winning in the olympices, because they simple find less extreme athletes in a small population.

Date: July 02, 2013 10:50AM
Dahie Wrote:
> ...The same statistics explain why smaller countries
> have generally smaller chances of winning in the
> olympices, because they simple find less extreme
> athletes in a small population.

Sounds legit. But still Netherlands plays football much better then China, India, USA, Indonesia, Pakistan or Russia, even if there lives much less people. Anyway I think you are a bit confuse the cause and the effect. The main cause there is that females is not comparable with men in terms of sports results. Look there [en.wikipedia.org] or there [en.wikipedia.org] and etc men's records is just better than women. So this is the reason. And autosports is just the same. For sure in Rally there's not so high G-Force values, even in oval-turn-to-left-racing is way much simpler than the classical open-wheelers championships, so we got there some notable females as Danica or mrs Mouton. But F1 is more complex, so thats why there's no successful girls in sport. And only this is what causes a consequence that girls don't go in the race sports. Not vice versa. If girls were successful in open wheelers, then there would be a lot of them. But since they're not - so they not go ahead into it. It is nature. And it is simple ;-)
PS And once more about the lack of female role models in the sport as the biggest barrier for femmes. This subterfuge still makes tiny sence to me. You know it is like if people would think - 'Oh, the biggest barrier for me to be happy is the fact that people cant fly as the birds'. Meh, cmon you need just to deal with it. People cant fly, girls cant drive - so why do the hell on Earth we gonna whining about this facts of life? It sounds as weak as to say: 'Oh, my voice range is not over 4 octaves as Yma Sumac's or Maria Callas', so that's why I just cant sing'. No!!! You can sing with one or two octaves as brilliant as it could be - so just stop bitching about it and start to do something. Bloody hell :-(

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2013 11:24AM by Soutsen.
Date: July 02, 2013 01:57PM
Soutsen schrieb:
> Dahie Wrote:
> -----
> Sounds legit. But still Netherlands plays football
> much better then China, India, USA, Indonesia,
> Pakistan or Russia, even if there lives much less
> people.

Experience improves training. Netherlands has a long football tradition and a different acceptance among the people.

> Anyway I think you are a bit confuse the
> cause and the effect. The main cause there is that
> females is not comparable with men in terms of
> sports results. Look there
> [en.wikipedia.org]
> _in_athletics or there
> [en.wikipedia.org]
> _in_swimming and etc men's records is just better
> than women. So this is the reason. And autosports
> is just the same.

This I'm not sure. Since motorsports is a sport where both sexes compete at the same event and since there are way less female drivers than male drivers I would not dare to say "all female drivers are slower". Those who are in the sports may be, but here we are discussing the bell curve again. With the same sample size we could tell, if the curves are different and males do indeed have more extreme talents. Right now I'd say we do not know and discussing it is subjective judgment.

> For sure in Rally there's not so
> high G-Force values, even in
> oval-turn-to-left-racing is way much simpler than
> the classical open-wheelers championships, so we
> got there some notable females as Danica or mrs
> Mouton. But F1 is more complex, so thats why
> there's no successful girls in sport. And only
> this is what causes a consequence that girls don't
> go in the race sports. Not vice versa. If girls
> were successful in open wheelers, then there would
> be a lot of them. But since they're not - so they
> not go ahead into it. It is nature. And it is
> simple ;-)

I see the smile and yet…
You're not giving enough credit and nature is not the driving factor here.
This is very rude and sexist statement and a good moment to stop discussing.

Date: July 02, 2013 03:04PM
Dahie Wrote:
> This I'm not sure. Since motorsports is a sport
> where both sexes compete at the same event and
> since there are way less female drivers than male
> drivers I would not dare to say "all female
> drivers are slower". Those who are in the sports
> may be, but here we are discussing the bell curve
> again. With the same sample size we could tell, if
> the curves are different and males do indeed have
> more extreme talents. Right now I'd say we do not
> know and discussing it is subjective judgment.
>
> You're not giving enough credit and nature is not
> the driving factor here.
> This is very rude and sexist statement and a good
> moment to stop discussing.

Your right. Maybe I am really ignorant sexist, and probably I crossed the line with these insults. But still I cant get one thing. I just don't understand. Look - there are men and there are women. In every sports disciplines and at the same venues women's results on the average, poorer than men, and yet, when it comes to racing - you say that you just not sure. How it can be? What changed from girls and a men being compete in swimming or athletics or football or anything else or in Motorsport? Just imagine football match between the average female and male teams - you think they would play at the same level? I don't know how to prove my point of view more clearly if you agree with fact that every single female (even best of them) records is worse than male's. But yet you are somehow believe that in Motorsport girls just only suffer from sexist problems. I'm just amazed. Honestly. So I really give up. And sorry for being a little bit assertive there. I am tired of this. If I can't convince people in my correctness - I am wrong. Let it be. Peace Dog

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2013 03:07PM by Soutsen.
Date: July 02, 2013 04:19PM
Morbid Wrote:
> n00binio Wrote:
> -----
> > Morbid schrieb:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > While you search for that, I'll present a
> > layman's
> > > article, that is built on research, written
> by
> > a
> > > woman, that contradicts you:
> > >
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > y/men-vs-women-upper-body-strength.htm
> >
> > just one tiny remark: what this article
> mentions
> > is - as far as i understood - absolute strength
> > and not strenght normalized by body weight
> which
> > would be the more relevant case for things like
> > race driving. i guess it will only change the
> > numbers by a factor of about 1.5 so the point
> > still stands
>
> If you look at untrained individuals, then yeah
> 1.5 would be a good rule of thumb. But if you are
> looking at people that have done extensive
> training for years, and that is what we are
> talking about, you are closer to the 2:1 ratio
> (depending on exercise chosen).
>
> Isaint Wrote:
> -----
> > Morbid Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > While you search for that, I'll present a
> > layman's
> > > article, that is built on research, written
> by
> > a
> > > woman, that contradicts you:
> > >
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > y/men-vs-women-upper-body-strength.htm
> >
> >
> > Well, it doesn't actually contradict me because
> I
> > never wrote it ...... it was from an article
> which
> > Like I said, I will find .... I also stated
> > that I lent more to your observations but
> 'hey-ho'
> > ...... like I said I will find the article
> > ..............
>
>
> We all have our knowledge and opinions from
> somewhere, so from that logic, none of us never
> mean anything. Yet that isn't true. The important
> thing to look at here, is that if you subscribe to
> something, then it is yours. As the proponent, you
> are forwarding it and own it.

That would be true in a face to face debate, when citing or supporting the views or factual revelations of others. On the other hand posting or referring to any intellectual property publicly and claiming it as your own ...? Why Morbid, you and I both know that under the Copyright law enactment of 1790 that would be down right illegal not to mention plagiaristic. Opinion wise, I have not subscribed to anything written in the article on the contrary I have from the beginning stated that I agreed more with your findings having spent most of my adult life in gyms and all sorts of circuits and training programmes .... where might I add there were some very strong and fit women but biologically all things being equal men always seem to have the upper hand.
Thankfully as I stated earlier, I was merely proposing the view of another in order to expand debate. I myself, don't own anything a part from my own opinion.

Here's the Article ............

[community.feministing.com]

Member of R.S.C.T Group

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2013 07:08PM by Isaint.
Date: July 03, 2013 02:22AM
An article from feministing.com, that has no sources whatsoever, not even in the following comment debate, when it is in fact requested from the very first comment...??? That should be a dead give away, that this is hogwash.

And don't give me the copyright act babble. You know what I mean, and it has nothing to do with that.

Date: July 03, 2013 04:10AM
Morbid Wrote:
> An article from feministing.com, that has no
> sources whatsoever, not even in the following
> comment debate, when it is in fact requested from
> the very first comment...??? That should be a dead
> give away, that this is hogwash.
>
> And don't give me the copyright act babble. You
> know what I mean, and it has nothing to do with
> that.

Ah, excuse me. You asked me for my source .......... there it is. The article, where that came from or how it came to be I have no idea niether do I care too much. I came across it and posted it to gather peoples thoughts. I'm sure it has a source some where after all going by your logic we all take information from some where maybe you could look for it if it means tha much to you.
As for the copright, it's not babble it's fact and you like facts don't you ..... as for knowing what you mean? I confess .... I'm must be very shallow because half the time I must admit I have no idea what the hell you are ranting about. All I did was agree with you .... remind me not to buy you a beer because I have no intention of looking for the source of the 'Hops!'
One thing I will say ...... ' Hogwash' Havnen't heard that in a long while, nice touch and you're probably right. There I go agreeing with you again ........ some people never learn.

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: July 03, 2013 04:58AM
Why do you think it is a good idea to import all sorts of strange things into a discussion. Do you find it wise to go to The National Geographic website, and reference articles about creationism, how the world is flat and how magic is real "to gather people's thoughts"? Not every article contains benevolent information. Some information has malicious intent, and this would be one of them.

I can tell you the sources of this article. Back in the days, it was a given in natural sciences that there actually was a world out there, and that the job of a scientist was in some way to get in contact with it, comprehend it and describe it. Map it out for the public if you will. Then came the double slit experiment, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and all it's problems with determining if an observer actually influences an objective experiment just by observing it.

So now there was two schools, one that stated that there is an untainted solid reality out there, which can be more or less objectively described, and another school of thought, that states that we we are, through our minds and perception, the creators of reality. This was transported into the social sciences under the label of constructionism. It quickly became the method and position of choice in gender studies.

The basic premise is, that everything is constructed through our cognition and how that gels with our social interactions. They reject that there is an "inner core" or "essence" in "things". Everything is as it is, because we through social labelling and thinking have "agreed" that they are so, and with thus bind our minds into thinking that this is reality. There are degrees of how hardcore gender researchers are in this regard, but some of them have gone completely mad, and even think "objects" and "events" like bacteria and disease are not actually real, but are constructs of our social labelling and discourse over our experiences. Even a seed for a tree, does not have "the blueprint" and "essence" contained inside it. It becomes that shape, texture and quality, because we as observing humans, through social convention agree on that, and thus perceive it like that, and hence make it real through that process.

What this means, is that casuality has been removed from cause and effect, into thinking and effect. This gives them an excellent platform to claim, that ANY difference between a man and a woman is caused by the social constructive processes of the patriarchy. Things like genes, bio-mechanics, hormones, all that can be rejected and their effects nullified. Studies can be fully ignored with little or no consequences. The problem here, is that while deconstruction of social mores can be an excellent tool to understanding how social mores came to be, and what their components are, it has no business outside of it's scope. It is not a method that can be used to deconstruct the results of natural sciences. Neither can it be used to reject the results of natural sciences. It is a misappropriation of methodology. However, the hardcore gender researchers don't care! They have clearly stated in many books on the subject, that the goal of social constructionism is to deconstruct EVERYTHING, even deconstruction itself!

It's madness... But it allows them to type up articles like the one you just piled in here... and their ideological basis is just as sound as creationism, flat world theory and magic. And they are just as rabid and fanatical as the American evangelical right.

So please... don't spread it. There is a good reason they don't source scientific studies. If you spread it, you are doing a lot more harm than good. It is a malicious ideology, that is spreading lies.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2013 05:04AM by Morbid.
Date: July 03, 2013 03:54PM
Morbid I understand what your're saying and as I stated from the 'Off' I don't agree with it. Of course it is bildge but not every one is a child. People can make their own minds up about what they agree with and what they don't agree with otherwise we would still be running around frightened that we will fall off the edge of the planet because we still believe it to be flat.
Also I don't hold with the idea that anything that is not backed up by science is in effect untrue or non existant because we all know science is not exact and has never been.
The reason why I don't think that this article holds water is because of evidence. There is no evidence to support it's content scientific or otherwise. I am not propogating anything malicious, it's an opinion, someone elses view point, bad ideologies only become harmful if you give them credence and in that respect I think we can both agree that we are not. The article was introduced not to inflame but to get a reponse to someone elses view which is exactly what it has done, all be it, only between the two of us.
I don't for one minute think that this persons stance on what is a basic biological fact can alter the truth because I 'choose' not to and my reasons are as explained earlier.
That is it, they said it, we don't agree with it there is nothing more to it.
I certainly won't be promoting this on any of my blogs or web-pages it just seemed poignant at the time because of the initial artical written by Dan. Just another view point no more .... certainly not strange because not everyone is in agreement with everyone else about the things in this world ........ now that would be strange.

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy