2013 Monaco Grand Prix ***SPOILERS***

Posted by Carlitox 
Re: 2013 Monaco Grand Prix ***SPOILERS***
Date: May 26, 2013 09:26PM
Posted by: gav
Not really sure what to make of it all. I've defended Pirelli this season as I like the unpredictability the tyre situation brings, but if the teams are going to start approaching races as they did this one, then they've got to change things. The first half of the race was appalling. They were barely braking for corners - it was like watching Vettel coast to the end in Barcelona when his brakes were on the point of exploding. Unlike some, I love watching the spectacle that is Monaco, but I was bored out of my mind.

It all went a bit nuts after Massa crashed, and Maldonado had his horrible accident, but this surely can't be repeated. Ramp the tyres to a compound harder or something for the rest of the year.

Great result for Nico, and clearly the Merc tyres held together well... but that secret tyre test will leave a bitter taste in the mouth, irrespective of whether it helped or not. Even if it didn't help them with their tyres, but 1000km... come on, they can't pretend they didn't try different suspension approaches, cambers and tyre management. If was as simple as burning tyres away to get a general feel, they'd have stuck their reserve driver in.

Massa - surely he can't have dropped it twice in identical circumstances? I mean, it happens over a race weekend, but it's not often that you repeat it in the race, when it matters.... still, Felipe himself managed it in India a couple of years ago, so who knows, but I did wonder when I saw it whether Ferrari might consider pulling Alonso out of the race. Edit: just seen that Ferrari are claiming this one was the result of a failure.

Perez was an accident waiting to happen. Alonso, was probably just about fairly punished, but had little choice - he either got a penalty or had an accident. With Kimi, Perez was never going to make the corner (even if he had enough steering lock to get around).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2013 09:28PM by gav.
Date: May 26, 2013 11:57PM
Posted by: Vader
gav
Alonso, was probably just about fairly punished, but had little choice - he either got a penalty or had an accident.

That's what they call "avoiding an accident" and it shouldn't be punished. "Causing an accident" however, should be punished - and as you said "Perez was accident waiting to happen." Several times. In several races. I second Kimi's notion that he needs a punch in the face. And when this happens the row of people waiting their turn will be very long.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: May 27, 2013 12:12AM
Posted by: elpasho2005f1
Isaint Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fantastic result for Nico, so pleased for him. He
> just seems to be going from strength to strength.
> Someone once described him as an A.I. driver
> ........ well in one respect, I guess that
> negative can be turned into a positive because all
> week-end he was flawless. I just want to see him
> dominate more and more and take his place at the
> helm because he has the makings of a world
> Champion with the proper backing.
> Everything else ..... I agree with Jim & EC83.

I totally agree, I'm really impressed with Rosberg this season, he's putting in a great performance so far for Mercedes. Quick question for all of you, do you think we should reintroduce 'refuelling'? to get the cars maximising their potential rather than just trying to reach the 'delta time' in the race.
Date: May 27, 2013 12:45AM
Posted by: Vader
As long as tires limit the potentials of the cars refueling won't help "maximizing" it.

Rosberg had a perfect weekend, however the pace was way off. They were doing 1:24s at the front when low 1:17s were possible (correct me if I'm wrong). I fear on a "normal" circuit Nico wouldn't have been able to hold his position. Not sure about the Red Bulls though, judging from team radio they had some tire problems as well, even with all these safety cars and the cruising speed.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: May 27, 2013 01:41AM
Posted by: Soutsen
Grosjean again...

Date: May 27, 2013 04:24AM
Posted by: EC83
Yep, that GIF is fairly amusing. It's time Boullier actually took some action which corresponds with that look on his face though.

I never knew Kimi had said that about Perez. Awesome. That's just one thing I love about the dude.

Date: May 29, 2013 10:27PM
Posted by: marcl
I just dont know what to make of this season tbh, really not enjoying it as its not real if you know what i mean.

For the 1st 10 or so laps of this race cars at the back were lapping 2 seconds a lap faster than the front runners. Yes clever by merc but come on this is meant to be F1.

No one in this race looked like they were ever driving 100%, they were leaving so much room on exists etc was just like a sunday drive round the streets.

Someone needs to have a word with Perez as he is going a bit ott, but did also pull off some great moves, hes 100% taken over the Lewis car lol.

Good job by Nico, hes showing Lewis up this year but then again Lewis does have to get used to things still but its taking far to long. Do wish people would stop saying MS was not doing a bad job as he kept up with Nico. Nico has totally upped his game this year and has cut out the mistakes he used to make when he looked like he was on a great lap in quail.

So yeah I hope they get these tyres sorted and get back to what F1 should be about and thats driving fast.

As for this testing thing I think merc will get everything thrown at them, a fine scoring no points this year and a 3 race ban.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2013 10:28PM by marcl.
Date: May 29, 2013 10:45PM
Posted by: thestig88
I've sadly reached a point with modern F1 where after 17 years of avidly following it, not missing a second of the tv coverage in years gone by, to where I won't make time for it, i'll check the results and maybe watch a quick 2min highlight clip online but thats it. its lost all its soul, the whole DRS, KERS, Pirelli, endless penalties etc, the lack of engines (all sound and perform the same). same old teams and sponsors.

I've often said to my wife that i'd rather watch a whole classic weekend, than the modern pantomime that it has become. I blame Bernie, his greed has seen classic tracks consigned to history (after having them butchered by Tilke), Tv coverage available to only those who can afford to pay extra, the FOM coverage itself has not evolved much in the last few years (the same onboard angles from the same cars - why have 5 different mounting points when only 2 are ever used????). Its far far too corporate.

Yep the racing in the past could be a bit boring but there was so much more intrigue and variables (reliability, new teams every other year etc).

F1 2013 (N) (N) (N)
Date: June 05, 2013 01:08PM
Posted by: Morbid
marcl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For the 1st 10 or so laps of this race cars at the
> back were lapping 2 seconds a lap faster than the
> front runners. Yes clever by merc but come on
> this is meant to be F1.
>
> No one in this race looked like they were ever
> driving 100%, they were leaving so much room on
> exists etc was just like a sunday drive round the
> streets.

Why don't you ask a seasoned veteran in a championship contending car, how he would overtake a car that is two seconds slower at Monaco? DC made mince-meat out of a two-bit driver like Bernoldi in the Arrows, which was the second worst machine on the grid, in 2001 right? Or was it so that he held up DC for 35 laps, prompting Ron Dennis to threaten Bernoldi with sabotaging and destroying his F1 career in retribution?

DC was 4 seconds faster in qualifying and also set the fastest lap, and he still could not pass Bernoldi's shitbox of a car. If 4 seconds a lap wasn't enough in the good old days, exactly what would you have the drivers do today? If you can't get past the slower guy in front, then being easy on the machinery is the only sensible thing to do!

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2013 02:17PM by Morbid.
Date: June 06, 2013 04:04PM
Posted by: marcl
I think you have taken what I meant to complete wrong way tbh.
Date: June 06, 2013 04:49PM
Posted by: Morbid
How?

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy