2013 Chinese GP ***SPOILERS AHOY***

Posted by flat tyre 
2013 Chinese GP ***SPOILERS AHOY***
Date: April 11, 2013 01:50PM
Posted by: flat tyre

In other news... Mark Webber's shaved his head. He means business.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Re: 2013 Chinese GP ***SPOILERS AHOY***
Date: April 11, 2013 02:33PM
Posted by: senninho
Vettel seems to have really meant it when he said he was sorry. In interviews today, he has said that he still would've passed Webber if he hadn't misunderstood the order - he was 'looking for what it meant' on the wheel display - and that he doesn't think Webber deserved the win.

He also hinted that Mark not helping 'the team' (i.e. him) in the past played a part in his decision. Oh, and he would do it again.

The thing that surprises me most about this is that a more than one driver has implicitly criticised him by stating that they wouldn't disobey a team order. Nico has said that the thought never entered his mind at the last race, and Alonso - whilst pointing out that he's never been in that position(!) - said he 'probably' would obey. Massa said he always would, but then of course he'd say that.

Jenson, meanwhile, has expressed surprise that Sebastian needs to 'be like that', pointing out that drivers have won championships without having to resort to such tactics.

This clearly isn't over, so I'm looking forward to sunday :)

Date: April 11, 2013 04:24PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I really think if they are wheel-to-wheel again this weekend then Webber will have him off the circuit.
Date: April 11, 2013 05:59PM
Posted by: davidm
The problem for Vettel now is that no one possibly believes he was telling the truth. He was "fibbing", there is no way around it and it seems he digs a bigger hole for himself. Maybe he is going to Ferrari because Mateschitz is most concerned about the public image of his brand, I can't see him putting up with the "driver runs the team thing" for too long, Horner certainly doesn't seem to.
Date: April 11, 2013 07:37PM
Posted by: flat tyre
If I remember rightly, just a few weeks ago Mateschitz also talked about Raikkonen being a candidate at Red Bull. Seems plausible to me, especially if Vettel's being given the cold shoulder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: April 11, 2013 08:25PM
Posted by: Morbid
People are going nuts on Jan Magnussen's FB page. It seems his son Kevin has been promoted to McLaren test and reserve driver. Can anyone confirm this?

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: April 11, 2013 09:26PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Probably just for this race as Turvey is racing ELMS and Paffett is DTM testing this weekend.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: April 11, 2013 09:51PM
Could be temporarily. Seems to be in line with the hardcore fans praying for a case Button or Perez stomach flu within the next 3 weeks.

Date: April 11, 2013 10:38PM
Posted by: J i m
If it's true, it's most probably a temp thing, Da Costa is temping for Buemi, who's racing at Siverstone this weekend.

Date: April 12, 2013 06:13PM
Not a temp thing. It's permanent:

Autosport
Kevin Magnussen is to fulfil third driver duties for McLaren throughout 2013 alongside Gary Paffett and Oliver Turvey.

[...]

McLaren has confirmed that Magnussen, Paffett and Turvey will share the third driver role for the remainder of the year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2013 06:14PM by Morbid.
Date: April 13, 2013 10:03AM
Posted by: gav
I'm giggling like a little girl that McLaren out thought Red Bull on such a mundane matter. Just rubbing it in with a 2:05 lap too. :D

Sounds like they didn't put enough fuel in for Webber, or perhaps not even refuel the car at all after Q1. When Vettel ran out in Abu Dhabi, it was the last lap of qualifying and they weren't sure there'd be enough fuel for a sample. With Webber, it was the first run of Q2 and there is nothing gained by pulling off the circuit - just get back to the pits and argue about it later (I assume a sample is taken after each run). If you're stranded on circuit, the best you're going to get is 10th. The fake smile on Webber's face said it all. Of course, it's a handy way of all-but-guaranteeing that Webber and Vettel will have minimal contact time tomorrow. ;-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2013 10:09AM by gav.
Date: April 13, 2013 11:56AM
Posted by: hasbriale
Shanghai Preview - F1 2012 style with Nico Rosberg:

Date: April 13, 2013 01:35PM
Predictably, Webber has been disqualified.
Date: April 13, 2013 02:21PM
Posted by: chet
Am I being stupid here? I've got an idea about how to fix these fuel problems.

Simple. Static load displacement for the ride height and zero fuel weight.

You know how much the suspension will deflect with zero-fuel weight. Add the fuel, look at the deflection and use that as a basis to judge your fuel load? Use it as a verification that the correct amount has gone in.

Take Mercedes, in Sepang, there is no way Lewis and Nico started with the same fuel onboard. Surely somebody in the team would have noticed this. And if not, surely somebody with common sense would have noticed the ride height one of the grid runs was not as low as it should have been?

I know for instances like with Webber we will be talking about small numbers, but surely with all the technology they have things like this can be avoided using common sense.

It sounds too simple to me, so it is probably not a viable verification solution, but feel free to add this and correct/enlighten me.

As for qualifying, RedBull might regret not getting in front of JB. Then again, if Button remains in front of Vettel when Button starts to pass the guys (if there tyres do go) then I suppose he is simply carving a way for Vettel too?

Vettel will be the one to watch tomorrow. I can't help but feel despite starting on the mediums we will see both Button and Vettel drive a conservative first stint to maximise time on that set of tyres, and obviously in turn minimise the final option tyre stint.

I know for certain tomorrow will be more interesting than today!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: April 13, 2013 03:36PM
With Webber it appears he was around 2 litres too short, 3 to be on the safe side. 2 litres of fuel can't weigh much and while I'm sure things like oil and water is as close to an exact amount as they can, the amounts will alter over a session and fluctuate more depending on external temperatures, denseness of the air, altitude, etc. If you're using an old set of tyres, that will alter the weight too, as wear removes rubber and pick-up (though they clean it off) adds weight.

We're talking minute amounts of weight change there, but I'm guessing enough to make weighing a car for fuel differences to be inaccurate.

I know they use fuel based on weight rather than a fluid measurement (at least in the car), but surely they can add fuel to the car, then check how much has been removed from whatever container they use to ensure the correct amount has been added to the car?

Edit: Just watching Ted's qualifying notebook (other than Brundle, the one thing I really like on Sky's coverage), and he says that Seb couldn't complete the lap as he locked up. He wasn't even trying to do a lap was he? He locked up going off the track to avoid impeding a competitor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2013 03:50PM by gav.
Date: April 13, 2013 04:06PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
the pirelli tyres are an absolute joke. What a dull qualifying session indeed. The cars spent more time in pits, rather than on track (especially the caterhams hihi).

Anyway, something must be done. I watched imola 2005, turkey2006 and could appreciate the pure racing then. If the cars then cuold easily go within 1 sec. from each other, then just introduce good tyres again and use drs and kers with them. the guys can push, and also pass, as the drs and kers will aid them.
Date: April 13, 2013 04:53PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
I'm sorry but I think that you have your rose tinted specs on in this case. The actual ontrack racing in 05 and 06 was mindlessly dull, with a few very rare exceptions.

Remember all the hate flying around over the course of the Korea and India weekends last year when the accusation was that Pirelli had been to conservative over their tyre allocations?

Well now they have tried to spice it up a little and people are complaining yet again. We are spoilt.

I couldn't believe how bad the races in Korea and India were last year. Just think, we had processions like that constantly for years in the late 90s and 2000s.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: April 13, 2013 05:12PM
Yeah, I think the spread could be better (giving two genuine alternatives for the race, to offer a choice of 2-stop or 3-stop, though it would take some effort to offer two different tyres which give genuinely different approaches and a similar end result with F1 being so precisely calculated) and maybe a couple of extra sets of tyres to avoid this qualifying mess.

China has been a bit unique though, with the softs so soft they won't last any time in the race (Melbourne 2009 Bridgestone soft by the sounds of it), and the harder of the two tyres being a bit too durable.
Date: April 13, 2013 05:50PM
Posted by: truecrysis
Button: "Who's in the top 10"
McLaren: "Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel, Rosberg, Massa, Raikkonen. Your in 7th then behind you Grosjean, Ricciardo and Hulkenburg"
Button: "Wow Ricciardo?"

Haha! Does highlight how well Ricciardo did in qualifying though, putting the car in the top 10 based on how the car seems to be is no easy task. Hulkenburg not doing too bad top beat both FI's either.

Clever tactics by McLaren to let Button role over the line when Vettel pitted. Button in post-qualifying press conference saying "Was surprised to see how slow the mediums were, didn't expect them to be 35 seconds slower than the softs" was quite amusing too.

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: April 13, 2013 07:31PM
Yeah, I read that one. :D I couldn't bring myself to take any notice of the post-qualifying TV and interviews. I needed waking up. ;)

To be fair, the Toro Rosso a couple of years ago came on really strong towards the end of the season, with Alguersuari and Buemi regularly running in the top 10 in races. I don't know if that says more about the drivers or the car - clearly Red Bull had access to all the data, so would have known if those two drivers were performing or not, but I still feel they were very harshly treated - particularly Alguersuari, who was still so young in F1 (though he's only a year and half younger than Buemi, Buemi seems to have been around the periphery of F1 forever).

Is it too early to drag up my thread asking whether the Sauber was fantastic last year as opposed to Perez being brilliant? I know few expected Perez to be an all-time great, but he's been comprehensively out qualified by Button so far. Button is doing to Perez what Hamilton did to Button. That reflects well on Button, but let's assume that Button doesn't suddenly suit the 2013 car half a second more than he did the 2012 car in qualifying... that pretty much means that Perez is somewhere around 1 second slower than Hamilton in qualifying. Clearly it's rarely that cut and dry and it's still very early, but he's got a heck of a lot of improving to do in every aspect of his racing.

Either way, it reflects pretty dismally on one other driver - Kamui Kobayashi. If his F1 career isn't already over, then the best he can hope for is the hopeless mediocrity of the latter part of the career of Nick Heidfeld or Pedro de la Rosa. If he gets another chance, he needs to put in some stunning drives. Such a shame, as we all wanted him to be up at the front in F1. :(
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy