GrandPrixGames 2013 F1 Manager League

Posted by Morbid 
Re: GrandPrixGames 2013 F1 Manager League
Date: April 20, 2013 11:17AM
Posted by: Morbid
I decided to scrap my current concept for my team and implement a new one. This has the consequence that I might not maximize my points haul for this round, and if the plan I have for damage control fails I might drop 1 or even 2 places in the league. I hope the long term investment will be worth it.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: April 22, 2013 11:10AM
Posted by: gareth
Nope, you're still sitting pretty out front!

# # Public Team Manager Points
1 256 Dark Side F1 Lasse Füssel 429
2 959 Simtek James North 391
3 2486 Tokar Eddie Corpse 342
4 5193 Robotronics Les Binks 234
5 5298 TortoiseF1 gareth mccarthy 229
6 5326 Sebastian Patel Daniel Mills 227
7 5487 Solent Aaron Bridge 218

Disappointing round for my Tortoises, I'm making some changes for the European leg of the season.
Date: April 22, 2013 11:38AM
I changed Sutil and Hülkenberg for Grosjean and Giedo van der Garde. After qualifying, I was somewhat troubled that I hadn't taken Massa instead. I actually had the 1 extra million to do it. My thought about Grosjean was that he would be as good as Räikkönen, since he had his monocoque replaced for this event. Grosjean himself thought that his troubles the last couple of events came from flexing in the monocoque, perhaps from a crack too small for the eye to see. So I gathered if they if they do have better tyre wear, they will do one less stop, which means lower qualifying performance, but better race positions. That would translate into +3 per position taken and the points they would get on top. I didn't realize they would take podiums!

I am glad I didn't take Massa. I had Alonso and that was painful to watch. Giedo van der Garde didn't pay out any points, because he had a early incident and too few retired for him to gain places compared to qualifying. Sutil was a good riddance, and Hülkenberg took 6 points, which is a poor investment for his price in the game. With Red Bull as my constructors choice it was a pretty good round! I thought this round was going to be damage control as I wandered to another team concept. I don't think I will wander though. I think I found the concept I want. Now all I need to do is maximize it!

Btw, the best managers in the game are already 77 points clear of me. That is almost 20 points per round, even though I am ranked 256 overall in the game. The season is still young, and there are lots of points up for grabs. Read the overall trends right, and you will rise to the top!

Date: April 22, 2013 02:15PM
Posted by: flat tyre
Morbid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Read the overall
> trends right, and you will rise to the top!

I'll need a miracle for that to happen. ;)

Here I am sitting pretty at the bottom of the leaderboard... after feeling confident of being near the top! Some drastic changes are in order :p

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: April 22, 2013 02:51PM
Yeah, sometimes things move really fast. You were punished by Ferrari's technical issues.

Regarding the structure of your team, I wouldn't disagree with what you have taken out (except if Grosjean got canned for this round!), but I do take issue with what you have put in. What you need is maximum points per dollar spent. Go to the statistics page and see if you can follow me on this.

The 4 backmarkers are the absolute winners in this department, so every team should have at least 3 of those (4 for an aggressive strategy, but I don't really dare). As long as they are focused on bringing the cars home, this will be true. If they switch strategy and try to score better positions in the constructors championship (which they will probably do later in the season) or if reliability gets really good, this will no longer be true and they will become a liability.

You need 1 chassis, and either you maximize what you can get here, or you consider it a total write-off. At the moment Red Bull is the one to pick. If they start to slide in the Constructors Championship, this will no longer be true. If you think there is someone that are a serious challenge to RBR, then you should pick them. Remember it is only final position that counts here, not grid advancement. If you pick a write off (Marussia for lowest dollars spent on no return), then you should purchase a larger collection of expensive drivers.

If you go back to drivers on the statistics page and sort them according to points, you will see which drivers have been the best investments. If you have lots of cash left, then just pick the top (or make adjustments if you have reason to believe this will be different in the next coming races). If you are strapped for cash, then divide cost with points for each driver to see which one gives the most for each dollar invested, and pick those (again adjust if you think a driver will be on the rise or slide in the next coming races). Drivers with grid penalties are normally good investments for one round (very short term investment!), because they probably will advance on the grid!

What is really apparent is, that with the current grid, top drivers and backmarkers are the best picks. There are a few in the middle that could be in a reasonable line up, but they are not many (like de Resta for the last two rounds and Bottas in round 1+2 or BUT NOT AND round 2+3). They will come though, if some in the mid-field manage to copy what Lotus is doing with the tyres atm.

Do NOT bet on the next race, bet on the trend. Every constructor's and driver's trend can be accessed by clicking on them in the statistics page. The TREND is the past, and the best predictor of the FUTURE, unless you have better information!

Envision the best team you can have, and then make sensible picks, that will allow you to cross over to that, if it cannot be accomplished in just 1 round. The above analysis is just based on what we have seen, and the current configuration of the grid. It could change!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2013 02:54PM by Morbid.
Date: April 22, 2013 05:42PM
Posted by: flat tyre
Aha... that's made a big change in my understanding. Now it's my job to get so many points that you regret giving me that advice! ;-) I've done my homework and hopefully it'll pay off.

I think that was my problem, though. I was just picking cheaper drivers that I thought would finish in a high position.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2013 05:42PM by flat tyre.
Date: May 09, 2013 10:18AM
Posted by: mclarenaustralia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2013 10:21AM by mclarenaustralia.
Date: May 27, 2013 10:33AM
From the Monaco round: just 40 points and a tumble from about position 200 to 858 in the global rankings, ... ouch!

Date: May 27, 2013 11:41AM
Posted by: J i m
Just 39 points for me... I call for the manager to resign... Oh wait, that's me ;-(

Date: May 27, 2013 05:09PM
Now you sound like Tony Fernandes! Is this a new manager trend?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy