Speculation 2013

Posted by J i m 
Speculation 2013
Date: February 03, 2013 05:14PM
Posted by: J i m
Normally I'd wait until the last week of testing is over to make my smart alec (or not) predictions. Yet with the relative stability in the regulations into this year with the biggest perceptible change being Pirelli bringing a slightly altered compound and construction set I doubt three weeks of testing is going to expose any major patterns that we couldn't have reasonably expected before hand.

So with out further ado here are my thoughts on what to expect from 2013.

Red Bull

Adrian Newy admits that they had a slow start to 2012 and that some effort was diverted away from 2013 in their final big push in securing the championships. Don't believe a bit of it! I don't think there is any reason to not expect the RB9 to be anything other than every bit as good as any other car right from the word go and significantly better than most. No, they'll be in the thick of it and Seb has to be hot favourite to take a fourth consecutive title with Webber having his traditional mid season spurt of semi impressive wins.

Ferrari

You could give Alonso Fred Flintstone's car and he'd still drag it round to the podium. Operationally the Ferrari team is pretty slick, so even if the F138 isn't quite as quick as the Tifosi demand it'll still have a say in the general direction the championship falls in. The question is can Massa make good on his improved form? There's no Turkey this year so look to Bahrain for a Massa revival.

McLaren

McLaren wasted what was commonly accepted to be the quickest car last year.. and so the MP4/28 has incorporated some of the fashionable bits which it's predecessors eschewed, such as a higher profile nose and Ferrari's pull rod front suspension. I'd hesitate to call this design "aggressive" but the likelihood is that this is going to be one quick car. Now then, Button needs to leave the "urgh the understeer!" Mentality at home, Perez needs to drop his "lets be the next Maldonaldo" aspirations and McLaren need less of the butter fingers in the pits. Manage that, and they might have a chance.

Toleman

The team are making (understandably) confident noises and the feel is that the E21 ought to be another perfectly decent enough car. Grosjean has been called down from the naughty step but he'll be under close scrutiny, so he'll have to behave himself else he might just wake one morning to find "Davide Valsecchi" stitched onto his overalls. Still, never mind though eh? At least Kimi knows what he's doing.

Mercedes

There's not too much point in copy pasting the traditional "ooh they'll look good for a couple of races and then completely disappear" prediction here, still being on their quest to secure "as many technical directors as you can" I suspect they won't stop until every single one of them in F1 works for them. What of their chances on the track? Well I suspect a few decent results will be fuelled almost entirely by the size of Hamilton's ego resulting in a plucky win somewhere in random conditions. But Britney is definitely going to have to change his colours oftwise it'll get too confusing.

Sauber

More of the same plucky punching above their weight in store for 2013, especially now they have the Incredible Hulk driving for them. Gutierrez? Well... Don't linger around any staircases with Robert Frijns, he's desperate for a go so I hear.

Findia

They'll need to get out of the blocks faster this year and build up the momentum sooner. I fear Di Resta's progress is stalling a little but at least he's got a head start on his yet phantom team-mate. The sensible money says Bianchi or Sutil but an inadvertent tweet reportedly by Paul himself suggests that the big money says Bruno. But anyh00 podiums have to be the target.

Williams

Well damn. Hopeful optimism is fast sliding back into hopeless despair. With Gillian and Wolf leaving in quick succession, suggestions are that instability has crept back past the sentries at grove. A late arrival of the FW35 will do little to steady these nerves. One can only hope it turns out to be a corker and the #BOTTAS turns out to be the breath of fresh air we all expect him to.

Toro Rosso

Another indifferent year with the same indifferent indentikit junior red bull drivers. Marko will give them maybe one more year to prove themselves to be the Vettel successors that they aren't. Shame really, this could still be a good little team if they were just allowed to be.

Caterham

Yeah.. Well they're still going to be stuck a good 0.5 to 1.0 seconds per lap away from threatening Toro Rosso. Especially now they lack an experienced driver to push development forward. Pic may have been surprisingly solid last year but he's still a generic GP2 also ran circulating at the back until the money runs out.

Maurussia

It's such a shame that my "Glock to DTM" prophecy came true because I fear Maurussia risk ruining a golden opportunity to conquer Caterham. Now it's all much of a muchness.

Re: Speculation 2013
Date: March 08, 2013 01:03PM
Posted by: danm
Word in the paddock at Catalunya is that Mercedes are fully focused and set to absolutely annihilate everybody in 2014 with the new regulations.

Red Bull are supposedly going to put most of their efforts into next years car development, leaving Ferrari and McLaren to squabble over the 2013 title.

Everything else for Red Bull/Mercedes this year will be considered a bonus.

Just what was heard in testing in the Red Bull motorhome.

Also, my god, not that it means anything, but of all the cars, the Marussia was incredibly loud. That cosworth didn't half give out some sound on the straights.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2013 01:05PM by danm.
Date: March 08, 2013 02:10PM
Have to be careful listening to paddock gossip even if it is from within earshot of a Red Bull motorhome. People start all kinds of groundless rumours to see how quickly they go viral.

The fact that Merc will probably pull resources from 2013 quite early is no revelation as it has long been a Ross Brawn trade trick in dealing with regulation shifts.

Date: March 09, 2013 03:46AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Maybe it will become evident later in the year, but I find it hard to believe that the order will have changed too much since Brazil so I expect Red Bull will still be hard to beat.

For me, I'm cautiously optimistic for Massa to have a good year. If he can keep up his momentum from the end of last year, it could add an interesting dynamic to the year, and it would certainly make me very happy. At the same time, I feel optimistic every year, but this year does seem to have a bit more substance in that faith.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 09, 2013 02:44PM
Posted by: EC83
I want to see Massa do well too. Towards the end of 2012 he drove quite brilliantly. It proved that his relative lack of form since the start of 2010 was all down to a lack of confidence. If he keeps up the performance level he had in the final few races of last season he'll be pushing Alonso very hard this year, which would be good for Alonso too.

Date: March 09, 2013 05:07PM
Massa should do fairly well which could create complications for Ferrari... Because Rob Smedly may well end up delivering some typically uncomfortable radio messages.

Date: March 09, 2013 09:19PM
I think 2010 (Australia, Malaysia, Turkey) and 2011 (Malaysia, China) showed that Ferrari are happy to start the season on equal footing, so Massa will have every chance to compete against Alonso unless he falls too far behind him.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 10, 2013 12:18AM
Posted by: chet
Am I making this up or did Massa score an almost equal amount of points as Alonso since the mid point of 2012??

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 10, 2013 04:09AM
If you take it from after the summer break, it was Alonso 114 to Massa 97 - but that is a bit misleading as Alonso had first corner incidents and Massa had team orders in Italy, Korea, USA and Brazil.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 10, 2013 10:44PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
Hmm.... Calling the team "Toleman" has given me an Idea... ;)

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: March 10, 2013 11:45PM
It's pedantic of me I know :P here's one step further.

This years grid.

Stewart
Ferrari
McLaren
Toleman
Tyrrell (stretching this one a bit!)
Sauber
Jordan
Williams
Minardi
Malaysia1
Manor

Date: March 10, 2013 11:52PM
Posted by: chet
SchueyFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you take it from after the summer break, it was
> Alonso 114 to Massa 97 - but that is a bit
> misleading as Alonso had first corner incidents
> and Massa had team orders in Italy, Korea, USA and
> Brazil.

at points last season I send Massa doesn't deserve to be in F1.

I was glad to be proved wrong. I really, really like the guy. He seems like a genuine nice person and I have a lot of respect.

As much as JB winning, I would love to see Massa doing well this season

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 11, 2013 07:41AM
Posted by: gav
J i m
Tyrrell

Stretching it further still:
Matra
Date: March 13, 2013 05:01PM
For what it's worth, this is my predicted Top 10 for the championship:

Vettel
Alonso
Button
Massa
Raikkonen
Hamilton
Webber
Perez
Rosberg
Grosjean

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 13, 2013 08:27PM
Hhmm I'm going to make an outlandish prediction and I'm going out on a whim here... there'll be a world champion and a constructors champion at the end if the season.

Date: March 14, 2013 05:38AM
Posted by: mclarenaustralia
J i m Wrote:
> Hhmm I'm going to make an outlandish prediction
> and I'm going out on a whim here... there'll be a
> world champion and a constructors champion at the
> end if the season.

My crazy prediction is that whoever has the most points will win the championship.
Date: March 14, 2013 12:13PM
Ah come now, that's got no chance of happening ;)

Date: November 24, 2013 11:47PM
So.. how did we do?

Well!

J i m Wrote:

> Red Bull
>
> Adrian Newy admits that they had a slow start to
> 2012 and that some effort was diverted away from
> 2013 in their final big push in securing the
> championships. Don't believe a bit of it! I don't
> think there is any reason to not expect the RB9 to
> be anything other than every bit as good as any
> other car right from the word go and significantly
> better than most. No, they'll be in the thick of
> it and Seb has to be hot favourite to take a
> fourth consecutive title with Webber having his
> traditional mid season spurt of semi impressive
> wins.

Bang on about Newey, Vettel and the car... although Webber peaked at "semi impressive" podiums instead of wins.

> Ferrari
>
> You could give Alonso Fred Flintstone's car and
> he'd still drag it round to the podium.
> Operationally the Ferrari team is pretty slick, so
> even if the F138 isn't quite as quick as the
> Tifosi demand it'll still have a say in the
> general direction the championship falls in. The
> question is can Massa make good on his improved
> form? There's no Turkey this year so look to
> Bahrain for a Massa revival.

There's no question that Ferrari's early season form flattered to deceive.. I expected better of them... all of them, although in reality they basically followed the pattern that I knew they would.

> McLaren
>
> McLaren wasted what was commonly accepted to be
> the quickest car last year.. and so the MP4/28 has
> incorporated some of the fashionable bits which
> it's predecessors eschewed, such as a higher
> profile nose and Ferrari's pull rod front
> suspension. I'd hesitate to call this design
> "aggressive" but the likelihood is that this is
> going to be one quick car. Now then, Button needs
> to leave the "urgh the understeer!" Mentality at
> home, Perez needs to drop his "lets be the next
> Maldonaldo" aspirations and McLaren need less of
> the butter fingers in the pits. Manage that, and
> they might have a chance.

They managed pretty much none of what they needed to and to make matters worse the car wasn't even quick (relatively speaking).

> Toleman
>
> The team are making (understandably) confident
> noises and the feel is that the E21 ought to be
> another perfectly decent enough car. Grosjean has
> been called down from the naughty step but he'll
> be under close scrutiny, so he'll have to behave
> himself else he might just wake one morning to
> find "Davide Valsecchi" stitched onto his
> overalls. Still, never mind though eh? At least
> Kimi knows what he's doing.

Kimi did know what he was doing (sort of), Grosjean behaved himself and Valsecchi was mortified to find "Heikki Kovalainen" stitched across "Kimi Raikkonen" instead of "Davide Valsecchi".
But it certainly was a "decent enough" car.

> Mercedes
>
> There's not too much point in copy pasting the
> traditional "ooh they'll look good for a couple of
> races and then completely disappear" prediction
> here, still being on their quest to secure "as
> many technical directors as you can" I suspect
> they won't stop until every single one of them in
> F1 works for them. What of their chances on the
> track? Well I suspect a few decent results will be
> fuelled almost entirely by the size of Hamilton's
> ego resulting in a plucky win somewhere in random
> conditions. But Britney is definitely going to
> have to change his colours oftwise it'll get too
> confusing.

Well... they definitely exceeded my expectations, in that they managed to carry strong points scoring form right up to the end of the season. I offer them humble well done.

> Sauber
>
> More of the same plucky punching above their
> weight in store for 2013, especially now they have
> the Incredible Hulk driving for them. Gutierrez?
> Well... Don't linger around any staircases with
> Robert Frijns, he's desperate for a go so I hear.

Well... Hulkenberg definitely pluckily punched above the natural weight of the Sauber as I expected he would, meanwhile Frijins was removed from lingering around any staircases nearby Gutierrez in favor of some supposed Russian money... I'll admit I didn't see that one coming.

> Findia
>
> They'll need to get out of the blocks faster this
> year and build up the momentum sooner. I fear Di
> Resta's progress is stalling a little but at least
> he's got a head start on his yet phantom
> team-mate. The sensible money says Bianchi or
> Sutil but an inadvertent tweet reportedly by Paul
> himself suggests that the big money says Bruno.
> But anyh00 podiums have to be the target.

Podiums were the target, it was not hit, what more can you say except that Di Resta's progress probably hasn't simply "stalled" but seized up?

> Williams
>
> Well damn. Hopeful optimism is fast sliding back
> into hopeless despair. With Gillian and Wolf
> leaving in quick succession, suggestions are that
> instability has crept back past the sentries at
> grove. A late arrival of the FW35 will do little
> to steady these nerves. One can only hope it turns
> out to be a corker and the #BOTTAS turns out to be
> the breath of fresh air we all expect him to.

Oh deary me... oh deary deary me. My worst fears were realized x by infinity.

> Toro Rosso
>
> Another indifferent year with the same indifferent
> indentikit junior red bull drivers. Marko will
> give them maybe one more year to prove themselves
> to be the Vettel successors that they aren't.
> Shame really, this could still be a good little
> team if they were just allowed to be.

Yes... I was slightly wrong. Ricciardo actually convinced Marko that he is (if not the next Vettel) then the next Webber whilst Vergne is getting another opportunity to re audition.

> Caterham
>
> Yeah.. Well they're still going to be stuck a good
> 0.5 to 1.0 seconds per lap away from threatening
> Toro Rosso. Especially now they lack an
> experienced driver to push development forward.
> Pic may have been surprisingly solid last year but
> he's still a generic GP2 also ran circulating at
> the back until the money runs out.

Erm yeah..

> Maurussia
>
> It's such a shame that my "Glock to DTM" prophecy
> came true because I fear Maurussia risk ruining a
> golden opportunity to conquer Caterham. Now it's
> all much of a muchness.

Well they did conquer Caterham in a fashion... but it was much of a muchness.

Overall... I expected Red Bull to carry on from where they left of in 2012, I thought it likely that they'd again produce the combination of best car, best team, top driver. I did not expect Vettel to mop up the entire 2nd half of the season whilst barely breaking a sweat.

Taking into account the relative stability of the regulations from 2012 into 2013 I am surprised at the level of dominance displayed by Red Bull and more significantly by how many (and by how much) teams dropped the ball.

Mercedes did well, they were a definite improvement.
Ferrari's failure to develop the car and react to the tyre changes was disappointing.
Lotus were at about where I expected them to be, Grosjean definitely got his act together.
McLaren messed up big time by going from faster car of 2012 to 5th or 6th fastest car this year.
Force India looked good for a while and like Lotus were about as good as could be expected of them.
Sauber had a very weak car to begin with but the Hulk dragged some excellent results out of it and the team as a whole recovered well in the second half of the season.
Toro Rosso had some high peaks... otherwise they were as expected.
Williams were a complete disaster... as a Williams fan I am uttely exhausted.
Marussia took advantage of Caterhams shoddy start... but in reality still built the slowest car.

Date: November 25, 2013 02:27AM
Posted by: EC83
Well I never made any predictions here, so can't get proved wrong ;)

RedBull's progress through the season was just as impressive as Ferrari's slump was disappointing. Alonso must be pretty @#$%& off with the performance of his car after the first third of the season, and must be hoping - like most of us - that the regulation changes coming up now will help Ferrari rectify their performance deficit.

Mercedes were the surprise of the season for me, massive improvement. While no one factor will be directly responsible for their improved form, I'm inclined to credit Niki Lauda with at least part of that - one prediction I made a year or so back was that he'd be a major help.

Lotus had a fairly strong season, although not what it promised to be after Kimi's pwning drive in Melbourne. Kimi thrashed Grosjean for the second year in a row, finishing way ahead in the standings despite driving in two less races - that was predictable.

McLaren were the flop of the season, just shocking. How they managed to lose their way so spectacularly is strange. Even their improvement as the season went on was minimal by their standards(Compared to 2009, for example).

Sauber's improved performance in the 2nd half of the season was a nice surprise. This more or less exactly coincided with the disappointing slump from Force India.

The other teams were more or less where you'd expect them to be going into 2013, although I've got to admit, Marussia have quietly impressed me with their solid progress this season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2013 03:58AM by EC83.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy