Goodbye to the 90′s Generation…

Posted by Ferrari2007 
Date: November 27, 2012 03:29AM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Hey guys I've just started blogging about F1, and I thought I'd share my newest post here as I think it will interest some of you.

[danpaddock.wordpress.com]

There's a link to the original.

Posted on November 27, 2012

I actually started to watch Formula One back in the late 90′s. I first dabbled with it a bit in 1997 and 1998, seeing the odd races here and there. However, the first race that I actually remember specifically sitting down to watch would be the Monaco Grand Prix in 1999. Michael Schumacher won quite brilliantly that day in his scarlet Ferrari, ahead of his team-mate Eddie Irvine and his great rival Mika Hakkinen.

Pedro de la Rosa, a rookie in only his 4th Formula One event, driving for the underfunded Arrows team had a quite different weekend, qualifying 21st and suffering a mechanical failure on the Sunday that put him out of the race.

Thirteen and a half years on from that day and Michael Schumacher has just completed the final race of his illustrious career and has now retired from Formula One for the second and almost certainly final time. Michael leaves the sport as statistically the greatest of all time, with 7 World Drivers Titles, 5 of those coming in succession from 2000 to 2004.

But it wasn't just Michael’s retirement that got me thinking over the course of the weekend. Another veteran driver, the aforementioned rookie, Pedro De la Rosa is also increasingly looking like he will be landed without a job for 2013, as HRT have hit the skids quite literally. They are flat broke and unless the team can find a buyer before December 2nd, then they will not be here in 2013.

What is the relevance of Michael’s and Pedro’s situations you may ask? One is a 7 times World Champion, while the other has only one podium to his name.

Well, it is actually quite important to me personally as if both of these guys are absent from the grid in Melbourne in March, then 2012 will have officially brought to an end to my own era of Formula One. Michael and Pedro were the last drivers who had lined up on that grid in Monaco way back in 1999.

It seems unreal to think that the 90′s generation, my generation, will have finally passed on from the sport that I adore so much. I mean, for sure, Button, Alonso, and Raikkonen all entered the sport soon after, in the years 2000 and 2001 respectively, but it isn’t quite the same. It was these guys, the class of 99′ who made me fall in love with this sport in the first place, and without whom, I wouldn't be sitting here right now writing about it.

So my thanks go out to Michael and Pedro, and to all the other drivers on the grid that day (Yes, even you Tora Takagi). You effectively changed a boy’s life. My very ambition to make it as a motorsport journalist stems from that very day, when I sat on the sofa to, quote a worn out expression, ‘watch cars drive round in circles’.

It’s a pretty special sport Formula One, don’t you think?

Any comments or criticisms are very much welcome. Hopefully you enjoyed it, and for those of you who have watched the sport in the past, you yourself will be able to reflect on similar events which saw your generation disappear from the sport, or even gave you the ambition to work in Formula One in some capacity.

Many thanks,

Dan

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2012 03:30AM by Ferrari2007.
Re: Goodbye to the 90′s Generation…
Date: November 27, 2012 03:56AM
Posted by: EC83
I remember Monaco 1999 well myself. I'd started watching F1 at the Monaco GP in 1989, so it was my 10th anniversary of being an F1 fan. Also, Michael Schumacher was my hero at the time and Ferrari was my favourite team, so the race had the perfect result for me. I was in the middle of sitting my GCSEs, and mainly finished them by the time of that race. It was a beautiful sunny afternoon in Dundee - exactly the same weather as there was in Monaco that afternoon. So it was a very special day for me - it's stuck in my memory ever since. Beautiful.

Regarding the actual theme of the thread - I guess the time I saw "my generation" disappear from F1 was Malaysia 2000, when Johnny Herbert retired - fittingly, with the catastrophic explosion of his rear suspension. :P

Also, the first driver whose entire F1 career I watched unfold from start to finish(in terms of starting soonest after I started watching) was Jean Alesi(Paul Ricard 1989 - 4 races after I started watching - till Suzuka 2001).

Great idea doing an F1 blog - I'll be taking an interest in it!

Date: November 27, 2012 08:46AM
Posted by: marcl
Whats even more scary is how many teams remain since the 90's.

Its just Mclaren, Ferrari and Williams the rest have either been taken over or shut down.
Date: November 27, 2012 09:30AM
Posted by: aagancia
we still have Sauber
Date: November 27, 2012 09:30AM
Posted by: marcl
True I forgot about them, but even they went and came back.
Date: November 27, 2012 11:40AM
Posted by: Atticus.
Good piece.

I started watching F1 in 1996, my first GP was actually the curtain raiser in Melbourne with Villeneuve holding onto the lead in his first ever GP in an ailing car, until Hill passed him in the dying stages.

So, in a way, with the retirement of Schumacher, I also lost the last driver, who was there when I watched my first GP. But then again, it happened back in 2010 as well with Rubens pulling out.

The first driver, whose career I followed from start to finish, being the rookie at or closely after my first GP!? Jacques and Giancarlo most probably.

On the teams. I tend to count them as a structure. I mean in a way, I consider the current Lotus team the same as Renault and Benetton, because only the owner changed and the team still uses the same HQ as its predecessors. So in that respect we have the following teams still in the championship compared to 1999:

Ferrari (1950)
McLaren (1966)
Mercedes/Brawn/Honda/BAR/Tyrrell (1970)
Williams (1978)
Lotus/Renault/Benetton/Toleman (1981)
Toro Rosso/Minardi (1985)
Force India/Midland/Jordan (1991)
Sauber (1993)
Red Bull/Jaguar/Stewart (1997)

Only the three new teams are missing. I think that's impressive. It shows infrastructure has a huge role in success, the accumulated, sort of unseeable, traditional experience and know-how, knowledge, particularly if we take into account how unsuccessful Toyota was with creating everything from scratch. Or the current new teams.
Date: November 27, 2012 11:48AM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Atticus. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good piece.
>
> I started watching F1 in 1996, my first GP was
> actually the curtain raiser in Melbourne with
> Villeneuve holding onto the lead in his first ever
> GP in an ailing car, until Hill passed him in the
> dying stages.
>
> So, in a way, with the retirement of Schumacher, I
> also lost the last driver, who was there when I
> watched my first GP. But then again, it happened
> back in 2010 as well with Rubens pulling out.
>
> The first driver, whose career I followed from
> start to finish, being the rookie at or closely
> after my first GP!? Jacques and Giancarlo most
> probably.
>
> On the teams. I tend to count them as a structure.
> I mean in a way, I consider the current Lotus team
> the same as Renault and Benetton, because only the
> owner changed and the team still uses the same HQ
> as its predecessors. So in that respect we have
> the following teams still in the championship
> compared to 1999:
>
> Ferrari (1950)
> McLaren (1966)
> Mercedes/Brawn/Honda/BAR/Tyrrell (1970)
> Williams (1978)
> Lotus/Renault/Benetton/Toleman (1981)
> Toro Rosso/Minardi (1985)
> Force India/Midland/Jordan (1991)
> Sauber (1993)
> Red Bull/Jaguar/Stewart (1997)
>
> Only the three new teams are missing. I think
> that's impressive. It shows infrastructure has a
> huge role in success, the accumulated, sort of
> unseeable, traditional experience and know-how,
> knowledge, particularly if we take into account
> how unsuccessful Toyota was with creating
> everything from scratch. Or the current new teams.

And of the two most recent teams to be built from scratch, both Sauber and Stewart were fiscally well managed. Stewart did benefit from Ford's backing, but JYS definitely had a tight, efficient team.

Love the article as well, Dan. Looking forward to the next one :)

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2012 11:51AM by Incident 2k9.
Date: November 27, 2012 12:47PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Some great comments guys. Thanks for reading it. Nice coincidence with yourself EC83, funny how those things can happen.

How did you feel when Alesi finally left at the end of 2001? I suppose he was far from his peak by then but it would have been similar to how I felt seeing Schuey and Pedro go.

Certainly an interesting point about the teams. It's crazy to think just how different the grid looked back then. In terms of team names and colours.

I agree with Atticus and just see the teams as extensions of their former selves. It's great to see Lotus recognising this with the three stars just ahead of the cockpit signifying the Constructors Championships that they have won.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: November 27, 2012 12:59PM
Posted by: R_Scandura
Great post that,
with Shumacher going curtains fall on my 92 class, first time I aproached F1.
It's quite shocking thinking about it. I remember when a kid was spending time on a Commodore64 on an old b/w tv during the races, plugging from time to time the tv signal to see how the race was going and reading of this Schumacher on track. Now i'm here, on a machine the which name I can't even pronunce, a whole life passed, that kid got beard but still hear of Schumacher on track.
not that far from truth when i say 2012 is like the end of a world

-------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2012 01:00PM by R_Scandura.
Date: November 27, 2012 02:00PM
Posted by: danm
R_Scandura Wrote:
that kid got beard but still hear of Schumacher on track

LOL! That be a sign of the gm crops my friend

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: November 27, 2012 02:26PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
my first memory of f1, although not a whole race watched, was jerez 1997. My uncle and I went to visit a friend of his, and they were all in a bar underneath their apartment. I still remember how happy my uncles friend was with all his buddies around, watching the post race stuff and celebrating that schumacher had just lost out, rather than Williams and Villeneuve having won. They all (my uncle, his friend and their buddies in the bar) were single, young and crazy. And I was a kid in in second grade living in Stara Zagora, a town in Bulgaria none of you has ever heard of.

Today my uncles and his friend are both married, and have kids older than the age I was back then.

And from the boy going to school in Stara Zagora, never having used a computer, I now sit in front of my Lap Top in Frankfurt, Germany writing this article.

It all comes to show you just:

1) how much 15 years actually are

2) how beautiful life is... and the point of life is ... living it !

i moved to another countries , cities etc. my uncle and his friend got married (not for each other of course) and have kids they adore, but onе thing still remains the same....... we all love Formula 1 !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2012 02:28PM by mitadumapaga.
Date: November 27, 2012 02:42PM
Posted by: R_Scandura
danm Wrote:
> LOL! That be a sign of the gm crops my friend

LMAO ;)

-------------------------------
Date: November 27, 2012 03:10PM
Posted by: juliooo
And Michael also was the last connection with Senna :(

We always had this. When Michael retired, Rubens was there, and now with both out...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2012 03:17PM by juliooo.
Date: November 27, 2012 03:50PM
Posted by: flat tyre
This is something that has been on my mind whilst watching F1, too. I started watching in 2002 (a lot more recent I know), and every year I've checked to see how many of the names on the 02 grid are still driving today. I still play and love F1 2002, and the names on there still feel like the 'real' F1 drivers to me.

I checked just now, and one thing that shocked me - Button is now the 'oldest' on the grid after starting in 2000, Raikonnen is 2nd (2001) with Webber and Massa joint 3rd (2002). In my mind, Massa is still a young fiery driver :p it's the same with Raikkonen tbh, but I guess his comeback makes it feel more like that.

Button used to be my 'hero' driver when I started watching F1 as a kid. I find it sad to watch him being so successful now - because I stopped following him from about 2006, and if I'd known what he'd go on to achieve...

also :o at the fact that when I started watching, he was as experienced as Paul di Resta is now :o

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: November 27, 2012 07:42PM
Posted by: gav
I don't know my first race, but up until the mid-2000s (the first Chinese GP in 2004, when I was at Donington) I hadn't missed a race since sometime in 1989 - it might even have been the opener, with Mansell winning in the polystyrene Ferrari 640. So yeah, it's been 11 years since the last remaining driver retired.

I loved Alesi (as you can tell from my avatar). He wasn't as quick as I thought he was back in the early 90s, but damn was he lovable. Most of us viewers back then would have been in tears in Montreal 1995 - he led or was in contention in so many races, only to be robbed by the silliest of mechanical failures or a charging superstar making up lost ground. Everything about Jean was special.

Mansell is to blame with me falling in love with the 80s. Grand Prix Legends is then to blame for me falling in love with the 60s. I know nothing of the 70s, but I do love the history of the tracks - the little changes here and there. That's probably why I dislike Tilke as much as I do - tracks had so much personality (the Nordschleife, Monaco, Adelaide, Mexico City, the full Monza 10km track, Hockenheim, Avus, Rouen - you couldn't confuse any of them with another) and all of Tilke's could be on any other of his tracks - some of Austin excepted.
Date: November 27, 2012 08:06PM
I share your passion for GPL, the Sixties and track history. I'm glad I finally found a bloke with roughly the same interest as I see myself pretty unique with this set. :-) Both on this forum, on other F1 forums, not to mention real life.
Date: November 27, 2012 09:56PM
Posted by: gav
:D

I've just noticed I've made a bit of a tit of myself. It's not Alesi I have in my avatar, it's Villeneuve. My avatar on most other sites is Alesi in the Tyrrell. Oops.
Date: November 27, 2012 10:59PM
Posted by: J i m
My first F1 experience I can remember with any clarity is watching Silverstone 91 live from club corner. Senna's red & white McLaren was the first ever car I cheered as it blasted past in it's glorious V12 wail being chased by the evocative note of Mansell's Williams Renault v10. The atmosphere there that day, the colours, the smell the noise. I've been hooked ever since.

From that day I've always been a Williams fan, which granted was slightly patriotically glory hunting band wagoning of me... But I've stayed true and always rooted for Williams first and foremost even when they had muppets driving for them.

Schumacher is probably the last of my original generation which means I've now been a F1 follower for over 20 years.

For me the the wide track, low nosed sleek cars of the early 90's with the engine variety will always be my favourite. I treasure I got into F1 during the Senna, Prost, Mansell & Schumacher era even if I think the level of competition between Alonso, Vettel, Button and Raikkonen today is even better.

Date: November 28, 2012 04:52AM
Posted by: EC83
Ferrari2007 Wrote:
> How did you feel when Alesi finally left at the
> end of 2001? I suppose he was far from his peak by
> then but it would have been similar to how I felt
> seeing Schuey and Pedro go.

I felt a curious mix of emotions. I was sad to see him retire(I absolutely loved him during his early years, a lot like Gav I think), there was almost a sense of achievement about having watched an entire career of a top F1 driver from start to finish(I'd clocked ages beforehand that he'd be my first "complete career driver" when he finally stopped), and I somehow felt old too, even though I was only 18.

Even now I think Alesi was a phenomenal talent which just got lost. His drives at Phoenix and Monaco in 1990 were genuinely Senna-esque IMO. With the right car and the right team environment and coaching, I'm pretty sure he would've been a Champion, maybe more than once too.

gav Wrote:
> It's not Alesi I have in my avatar, it's Villeneuve.

I always thought it was Reutemann or Lauda.

gav Wrote:
> I don't know my first race, but up until the
> mid-2000s (the first Chinese GP in 2004, when I
> was at Donington) I hadn't missed a race since
> sometime in 1989 - it might even have been the
> opener, with Mansell winning in the polystyrene
> Ferrari 640. So yeah, it's been 11 years since the
> last remaining driver retired.

Hehehe, best description of the Ferrari 640 ever. Probably one of the most polarising F1 cars I can think of. I loved it when I first watched F1 because Mansell was always doing well in it and Berger was always retiring, which made me think he was @#$%& at the time.

There's a story I have regarding the 2004 Chinese GP too as it happens. I lived in student accommodation in Dundee Uni Halls at the time(I'd moved there in May of that year) and my mate(also a massive F1 fan) was staying over for the weekend with a couple of his flatmates from Edinburgh, with the intention of watching the race at mine. I happened to be staying with a whole bunch of Erasmus students who'd recently moved in for the start of the new academic year(I was the only Scottish guy in the flat) and on the Saturday night before the race they'd been on a night out at the Union. Me and my mates had just settled down to sleep for a few hours before the GP when all my flatmates and their friends suddenly burst into the flat(My bedroom was directly above the kitchen) and the whole flat erupted. There was no way we could've got any sleep, even if my flatmates hadn't been banging on my door to invite us to join them. So we all joined the party for half an hour or so(the kitchen had been transformed into a crowded nightclub by this point) before getting a taxi over to my mate's parents' house, where we got an hour or two of sleep before watching the GP in his living room.
(Actually this was probably for the best - we weren't allowed TV in the Halls without a TV license and I'd set up a TV in the kitchen with an aerial which was meant for indoor use, plugged into the TV and perched on a wall outside the kitchen back door - it couldn't get a signal inside because the walls of the house were too thick. The reception quality was constantly fluctuating, and that weekend it was terrible for some reason. I watched those BTCC races at Donington later that Sunday on said TV, and God, the signal was awful. So, ending up watching the GP somewhere with proper TV reception was probably a good last-minute unplanned change!)

> I know nothing of the 70s

The early 70s was the time of historic F1 that I fell in love with! Maybe because the cars looked so exaggerated with the rapidly-growing rear tyres and tall airboxes, maybe because F1 was going through such a massive period of change, but anyway it happened. I knew the result of every single race by heart at one point just by reading up on it, maybe I still do, I've not bothered testing myself on it for years. And this was before YouTube.
I have some knowledge of the late 70s, but not as much - my interest in it tails off a bit after 1976.

J i m Wrote:
> Schumacher is probably the last of my original
> generation which means I've now been a F1 follower
> for over 20 years.

I watched the 1991 Belgian GP when I'd just turned 8. Now he's just retired for the second time and I'm 29. Holy crap! That's one rather long F1 career. :P

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2012 05:26AM by EC83.
Date: November 28, 2012 10:18AM
Guys, this is an awesome thread with all these stories. :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy