Driver of the year?

Posted by chet 
Driver of the year?
Date: November 19, 2012 10:01PM
Posted by: chet
I've been thinking hard about this... It really has become so hard to chose between Vettel, Lewis, Alonso and Kimi!

Arguably, in fact no doubt f1's best drivers, and surely all in a list of top 12 drivers of all time?

Kimi, two years out has been simply amazing. Outpaced at first but Grosjeans speed wasn't enough to get him out of the first corner without crashing into somebody!!

Alonso... is Alonso.

Vettel, made use of the best car again.

Lewis. Made Button look like a pensioner. Lewis has been sensational and by far the unluckiest driver this year. Mclaren will miss this guy huge amounts. People joke about Alonso's 7 tenths but honestly IMO Mclaren will no doubt lose AT LEAST 5 tenths - 7 tenths on Saturdays.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Re: Driver of the year?
Date: November 19, 2012 10:31PM
Posted by: gav
I think Alonso by a mile. He's either lost it a bit towards the end of the year or Massa has improved (I think a bit of both), but the guy was on another planet for 2/3 of the year.

Some of his drives in the Renault in 2008 were magic, but I think most of the season he's been driving like that. I'm struggling to think of a better season by anyone... ever.

Hamilton has been unlucky, but there's not been many days when I've thought "yeah, he's been the star". Sunday was one of them (he was relentless), but there haven't been many. That's what I thought when he signed for Mercedes, that he'd gone for the stardom or the money, if you look back at 2007, he's almost unrecognisable to that driver.

Vettel... as ever it's still hard to gauge how much is him and how much is the car, but I think it's best summed up by Abu Dhabi - He was absolutely rubbish until the first safety car, and then he was driving like Button was in Montreal last year. I just thought in the first half of the year he wasn't the guy we saw for the past couple of seasons - he's very definitely there now though.

Kimi is difficult. There have been numerous occasions when he's backed out of a move in order to stay in the race, and at the start of the season I thought he'd lost his bottle in wheel-to-wheel battles. But he's continued to rack up points while others have been tripping over each other. It's like a Prost season - never spectacular, but ever efficient. Personally I find it hard to love that, but easy to admire. Love the bloke though. :D

I think on balance, it's got to be Alonso. That Ferrari looked undrivable in Melbourne (seriously watch it again - it was dire), and while it's seldom, if ever, been the fastest car, Alonso has only just lost the championship lead in the last few races. I think he's been driving on another planet for a lot of the season, and while he's never really looked the most naturally talented driver in F1, he never, ever gives up. It's like a super-Mansell. I'm almost sad that Vettel's got one hand on the table, and it's not through a dislike of Vettel, as I don't, but Alonso's driven so well this year that I find it hard to believe anyone could deserve a title more.
Date: November 19, 2012 11:33PM
Posted by: Isaint
Alonso ..........

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: November 20, 2012 12:31AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Of course Alonso, but Vettel has been very good too - because of his recent domination, it is easy to forget the good performances and points accumulation in the early part of the year when his car was only good enough for the midpack sometimes.

Hamilton and Raikkonen as well, all 4 of them have had great years.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 20, 2012 01:36AM
Posted by: EC83
Alonso and Kimi.

Date: November 20, 2012 02:31AM
Posted by: EC83
Alonso this year has reminded me of Senna in 1993 - just amazing. To even take the title battle to the final race in that Ferrari is pretty superhuman, so I think he's the one who deserves the title most.

I think Kimi's season has been very similar to his 2003 season - he had a very Prost-like season then as well. I think it comes down to what zone he's in as a driver - next year he could be like he was in 2005 again. That's what I love about Kimi - you never know.

Vettel has been good, but I think it's been more car-related. What gave it away for me was his "charge" from Singapore onwards, when RedBull clearly improved the car and suddenly he was dominant - that had shades of Hakkinen, Piquet and other nearly-great-but-not drivers about it. Where would he be in the title race now if RBR hadn't done that work to improve the car? That's what clinches it for me.

Date: November 20, 2012 02:47AM
Posted by: Slash
Alonso
Date: November 20, 2012 03:33AM
Posted by: Isaint
SchueyFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Of course Alonso, but Vettel has been very good
> too - because of his recent domination, it is easy
> to forget the good performances and points
> accumulation in the early part of the year when
> his car was only good enough for the midpack
> sometimes.
>
> Hamilton and Raikkonen as well, all 4 of them have
> had great years.

Very true .... thanx for reminding us you are correct.

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: November 20, 2012 09:57AM
Posted by: casabonka
Im a bit biased saying Alonso, but to me he has been mega. He has basically been doing qualifying laps all Sunday to put that car much higher up than it should be. Massa hasn't had a great year, but lets face it, he isnt hat bad - the car really is lacking a lot!

Kimi is up there, but Id put Lewis a close 2nd. Never been a big Lewis fan, but this year he has put in some awesome drives!

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: November 20, 2012 11:11AM
Posted by: danm
Alonso by a country mile.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: November 20, 2012 11:58AM
Posted by: marcl
Alonso this year by miles, I hope he wins the championship. I cannot fault him this year as a driver and as a person.

2nd for me is Lewis, he should be champ this year. Mclaren have cost him over 85 points if you look at the table it tells you where he should have been. But its a team sport so thats the result. I think he ias back to his best now and the way he drove on Sunday was great. A year ago he would have just thrown it down the inside of Vettel and taken them out. In fact this year I dont think Lewis has had one penalty of his own doing? There were moments when the child appeared again around Spa but after that he just got on with the job, Lewis seems to let outside work stuff affect him more than others.

Vettel for me this year showed yet again what he can do in the best car, when the car was not the best he did not even set a time in q3 or get in the top 10. Yet his team mate was able to get speed out the car. Vettel for me this year has been like Button in the Brawn, when the car was right he could not be stopped but when it was not he was beaten by his team mate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2012 12:11PM by marcl.
Date: November 20, 2012 12:32PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
SCHUMAACHHER !!! till canada.

he just wasnt able to show it due to team and car related problems.

hamilton should have won at least 2 ofthe first 3 races, well, he didnt. vettel would have blown the field in such a dominant car, that was the mclaren in the begginig of the season.

alonso has been incredible as well. still, we shouldnt forget his car never has been outside the top 4 best in race trim.
Date: November 20, 2012 04:33PM
Posted by: IWE
Alonso

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: November 21, 2012 09:33PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
Alonso no doubt!

I would have a little mention for Kimi, not to be biased, but his performance after 2 years out..racking up 3rd in the championship nearly, only driver to completed every lap so far etc.

Date: November 21, 2012 10:34PM
Posted by: J i m
I think we should throw away the "what if" scenarios as it's only ever subjective to paint the year in that way and there will always be a counter argument. The end result is what counts.

I think there have been many drivers of note this year, obviously Alonso who has carried Ferrari with a car that still isn't as good as they hoped it'd be. If I had to compare it with another performance I'd pick Senna who won in 1991 with the MP4/6 which was ultimately inferior to the Williams FW14. For many years now I've considered Alonso to be the most complete driver in F1. This year he's been that and more, he's relentless and never misses an opportunity. If he wins this championship it will have been the most hard earnt in many years.

Vettel has once again been superb, he has on ocassion out-driven his car (more notable early on in the season) and hence has continued to strengthen as driver which is pretty ominous when you consider he is already on the verge of being a triple champion. It's true that he's had a almost 2011 esque car advantage since Singapore but you still have to make use of it and he has done so impeccably. If he wins this championship it will have been deserved.

Raikkonen has simply been brilliant, his consistency has been excellent hence finishing every racing lap so far and racking up the podiums. 3rd place in the championship if he hangs on to it (Hamilton is on irresistible form at the moment) would be a just reward even though he'll clearly be "not bothered" by it. It's true that he's chosen to keep his nose clean this year but you only have to look to the other side of the Lotus garage to see the polar opposite of Grosjean and how many points recklessness looses. And anybody who questions his racing instinct should observe his move on Schumacher at Spa, and his move on Hulkenberg at Texas.

Hamilton has on the whole been on fine form this year. He's regained much of his composure and some consistency. And it's true that operational problems at McLaren have let him down on numerous occasions this year. I still don't think we've seen him at his best this year but he has put in some of his best performances when the McLaren wasn't the fastest car. His dogged pursuit of Vettel at Texas was inspired.

Hulkenberg had a bit of a slow start to the year and as usually shaded by Di Resta who seems to have dipped in the 2nd half of the year. But as has often been be case with Hulkenberg throughout his career once he settled down and got a break through result there's been no stopping him. Ever since his 4th at Spa consistent strong finishes in the points has seen Force India's position above Williams in the championship be consolidated despite the Williams being the stronger car.

Perez might be a slightly controversial choice to throw into the driver of the year pot with his recent eractic form yet his podiums at Sepang, Montreal and Monza which netted him a contract with McLaren warrant him a mention. He has been a standout driver for the most part with his ability to manage the tyres and use a polar strategy to devastating effect. He'll need to smooth off the rough edges next year though or Button will walk all over him.

Not a mention as a driver of the year this one, as for much of the year he was a liability. However it doesn't detract from when a performance is genuinely good and Maldonaldo's victory at Barcelona was remarkable. True pole position was inherited and perhaps his biggest threat was removed from contention through that but he took on Alonso who has been on the form of his life don't forget and beat him fair and square. His tyre management in the last stint under pressure was superb. It's just a shame he had to ruin it all with the next 8 races or so.

Date: November 22, 2012 12:18AM
Posted by: ralv585
It has to be Alonso.

No doubt.

Date: November 25, 2012 04:30PM
Posted by: vesuvius
Alonso and Kimi for me.
Date: November 26, 2012 05:27PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
Lewis ;-)

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: November 26, 2012 07:41PM
Posted by: flat tyre
Hamilton and Alonso have been in a class of their own this year! Both have been faultless, as far as I can remember, and also the quickest in the field.

Honourable mentions to Raikkonen (very, very consistent and still has what it takes), Hulkenburg (maybe not a future champion but definitely has potential), Pic (not many of us noticed but he did very well in his rookie season)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: December 14, 2012 02:35AM
Posted by: Slash
Alonso chosen driver of the year by team bosses by quite a margin over Vettel, so yeah what we saw from the ouside seems to be about right
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy