Obituary: HRT

Posted by Incident 2k9 
Obituary: HRT
Date: November 15, 2012 08:24PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
"Hold on!" some members will be thinking. "They're not dead yet!".

Very true, but they've only got until December 2nd before they're given their last words and their last meal. And despite the turnaround in fortunes the F1 team has had (comparatively speaking) there's a good chance this season will be their last.

Hard to believe, but HRT barely owned a thing when Kolles was given his marching orders. They used his trucks, his design office, and several of his employees. He had to go though; he had planned to use the same tub as the year before for 2012. He was responsible for outsourcing the manufacture of the 2012 car to Holzer, and although the build was cheaper it lacked the quality of the chassis that Carbotech had given for the 2011 car (hence explaining some of the issues the car has experienced). And, of course, he wasn't renowned for keeping a stable outfit. 2010 and 2011 saw multiple driver changes; 7 different drivers were 'employed' in those two seasons alone.

Hiring Luis Perez-Sala was a step in the right direction. He had experience of a tail-end outfit before - competing with Minardi in 1988 and 1989. However, he had the full backing of Thesan Capital and the regeneration that they brought the team was much-welcomed. Firstly, they hired Pedro de la Rosa who as we all know is a vastly experienced development driver having worked for multiple teams up and down the grid. Secondly, they built a rather attractive HQ at Caja Magica in Madrid which had an air of professionalism about it. This enabled them to have a proper home, and brought them closer to Marussia and Caterham.

However, the team is now officially up for sale. Arguably, Thesan have done all they can do on a shoestring budget and that's certainly commendable. Although linked with investment from Abu Dhabi, Qatar or India it looks like the Spanish outfit might close it's doors before 2013. No real potential investors have declared interest, and the fact that the team is located away from the traditional proximity to Silverstone might be another point against it. But why should that put people off? It's an opportunity to skip the hefty entry bond and all of the bureaucracy of starting a team from scratch. A car's apparently been designed for next year, and it's a team that can be moulded into a midfield runner at the very least with the right amount of funding.

Unfortunately, that's most likely all wishful thinking. Some people won't care that HRT will eventually run down the curtain and join the choir invisible as they might feel they were living on borrowed time anyway. But I disagree. I think they're the closest thing we've had to the glory days of the early 90's. The chaos, the paydrivers, the DNQs, the shuffling of drivers, and the name-changes.

They may still find a buyer in time, and they may still live to fight another day. But should they ever meet their demise, I will miss them; the minnows, the plucky little Spanish team.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2012 08:25PM by Incident 2k9.
Re: Obituary: HRT
Date: November 15, 2012 08:57PM
Posted by: Slash
who do we have to congratulate for giving the entrance to such a feat?

Maxy?

hi Max! :-)
Date: November 16, 2012 12:04AM
Posted by: chet
If they go, would they really be a loss?

They're running round in a car based off a concept conceived in 2008 ffs.

The team is a joke.

'Just' surviving stopped being cute a while back. Have they ever tested a new car before coming to the first race?

There's a big difference between them and Marussia nad Caterham. If HRT disappear I wouldn't even notice or care.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: November 16, 2012 12:22AM
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If they go, would they really be a loss?
>
> They're running round in a car based off a concept
> conceived in 2008 ffs.
>
> The team is a joke.
>
> 'Just' surviving stopped being cute a while back.
> Have they ever tested a new car before coming to
> the first race?
>
> There's a big difference between them and Marussia
> nad Caterham. If HRT disappear I wouldn't even
> notice or care.

The reason I'm a little sad is the fact that the team has begun to get its act together, and 2013 would have promised much due to what looked like stability. Unfortunately, this looks like a mere pipedream.

I wanted to see what they could do next year, as KERS was presumably on the menu too.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
Date: November 16, 2012 07:39AM
Posted by: gav
I wouldn't miss Kathikeyan cruising into braking zones, with other drivers not having a clue if he's letting them through or if he's going to turn in. So long as he doesn't get a drive elsewhere of course. That's about it though.

Still hoping that Dave Richards gets his mitts on an F1 team. If he managed to raise the cash, then he'd pull their trousers up over the next year.
Date: November 16, 2012 10:36AM
Posted by: danm
The team has no personality. The management is a joke. Their lack of ability to be professional in a very streamlined sport is poor.

There was a time when you could be a little dandy and slapstick. But that kinda stopped in and about 1992.

It barely worked then, and it certainly doesn't work now. With such a blank car and no funds, can you honestly tell me they couldnt hire one person and do what Jordan did in 1995? Call up everyone and anyone, sponsor for one race any size logo they could afford, and sticker bomb it. £500, £5000, £10000 is still funds...

I am amazed they made it past the first season.

Don't even get me started on Mario Karticaveman!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: November 16, 2012 06:28PM
Posted by: EC83
1994. ;-)

Like some, I'm amazed HRT have lasted as long as they have. They've been so utterly @#$%& it's almost been impressive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2012 06:31PM by EC83.
Date: November 16, 2012 08:08PM
Posted by: Isaint
R.I.P to the moving Chicane, ........ er, I think that's it unless I've forgotton some brilliant moment in thier entire history?

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: November 17, 2012 01:41AM
'This is a cool spot'

*cringe*

Date: November 18, 2012 07:58PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
As badly prepared as Lola, I'm surprised they lasted 57 times as long...

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: November 19, 2012 04:27AM
Posted by: EC83
If anything, they turned up for the 2011 season even worse prepared than Lola.

Date: November 19, 2012 11:44AM
Posted by: hasbriale
Rest In Peas! lol
Date: November 19, 2012 01:23PM
Posted by: marcl
Would any of the new teams be missed?

Marussia have improved this year quite a bit but as for Caterham what a joke. They have good people there and are just going backwards.
Date: November 19, 2012 04:39PM
Posted by: IWE
marcl Wrote:
> Would any of the new teams be missed?

HRT & Caterham yes. Marussia not as it got in to F1 for 107% wrong reasons.

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: November 20, 2012 09:52PM
There are rumours of 4 bids for the team:

- One from Chinese investors, probably leading Ma Qing Hua to a race seat.
- One from Qatar
- One from a partnership between Alex Wurz and Antonio Mesquida
- Lastly, a possible bid from Carlos Slim (who's allegedly disillusioned with Sauber). (I'll cross that off seeing as Guti has signed for Sauber...)

It will be interesting to see if one of these comes true...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2012 09:32PM by Incident 2k9.
Date: November 23, 2012 08:26PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
IWE Wrote:
> marcl Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Would any of the new teams be missed?
>
> HRT & Caterham yes. Marussia not as it got in to
> F1 for 107% wrong reasons.

Rubbish! You'd miss Caterham and not Marussia?! Caterham have got the right people but are going nowhere, as said before, and IMO the ugliest car on the grid!

At least HRT and Marussia have some balls to hire young drivers, which is what we need for F1!

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: November 23, 2012 11:33PM
Wheres Dave Richards when you need him? Get him the slot for the 2014 rule shakeup!

Date: November 24, 2012 12:55PM
Posted by: IWE
smoglessbutton4 Wrote:
> IWE Wrote:
> -----
> > marcl Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Would any of the new teams be missed?
> >
> > HRT & Caterham yes. Marussia not as it got in
> to
> > F1 for 107% wrong reasons.
>
> Rubbish! You'd miss Caterham and not Marussia?!
> Caterham have got the right people but are going
> nowhere, as said before, and IMO the ugliest car
> on the grid!
>
> At least HRT and Marussia have some balls to hire
> young drivers, which is what we need for F1!

What F1 needs is proper drivers who have proved that they are good and definitely do not need any pay drivers like Charles Pic who haven't ever won anything in any series. Unfortunately Caterham seems to be falling into same @#$%& with Marussia and HRT.

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: November 24, 2012 02:20PM
Still hoping Kobayashi turns up in a test role at Ferrari/McLaren/Redbull

Date: November 25, 2012 02:02PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Glock is mint. Pic has outqualified Glock on more than one occasion. Therefore, Pic can stay.

I think Caterham WILL eventually get their act together. The point you're missing is that the teams they could realistically beat last year (Williams, Sauber, FI and TR) have all become more competitive and more stable. Williams actually won a race this year.

They aren't going to be noticeably better until one of these teams has a bad year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy