> LOL.
>
> By the way, I think this weekend showed what a
> good driver Schumacher still is and what a piece
> of @#$%& the Mercedes is now. To drag that car up
> into the top 6 in quali was a pretty brilliant
> achievement IMO. In the race we immediately saw
> how poor the car's pace was.

It was due to the tyre heat up issues. Quali he got heat in his tyres faster than others but in the race the tyres on the 1st stint were already finished due to quali. Getting that grid place was actually due to how rubbish the car is and not the skill of MS.

Nico had the opposite due to the setup change he made, he could not get heat in his tyres at any point in quali or the race yet still finished ahead of MS.
Re: 2012 United States Grand Prix ***SPOILERS***
Date: November 21, 2012 01:24PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
yeah, right... michael destroyed his tyres on 1 quali lap.

tyres that the rest of the top 10 drove on for over 25 laps.
Date: November 21, 2012 01:25PM
i am actually curious how you came up with this ? did some analyst or team principal or driver said it, or you just concluded it yourself ?
Date: November 21, 2012 01:36PM
Posted by: marcl
Follow the teams on twitter and read reports and you will find out. It was said Sunday night after the race.

He did not destroy his tyres on 1 lap, they over heated and this lead to the problems in the race. It was not his fault it was the way the car was set up and this is why he needed two pit stops.
Date: November 21, 2012 01:38PM
Posted by: danm
Next year will answer a LOT in terms of that Mercedes car and its drivers.

Nico hasn't really had a proper benchmark, besides a maturing Webber before his peak at Williams whilst Nico was still a rookie.

MS isn't a good benchmark today due to questionable accomplishments always in an outstanding car. He is also partly retired, and beyond his prime.

Lewis and Nico are both mature enough now and I'd give Lewis a third of a season to lay blame to 'adaptation' to a new team before we can begin assessing Nicos, MS's and the Mercedes credibility.

Lewis will be the benchmark. I can't wait.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: November 21, 2012 01:47PM
^Could not agree more.

Testing will also be interesting to see how Lewis goes in the current car, even thats hard to tell though.
Date: November 21, 2012 02:34PM
Posted by: Isaint
I agree will be interesting to see ...... of course Mercedes should have learned something over these past three years so, dont expect that the car Lewis drives will be half as pathetic as what Ms and Nico have had to contend with thus far ................?

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: November 21, 2012 03:42PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Mitadumapaga, please stop being so partisan about Schuey, it borders on the ridiculous sometimes.

In regards to Rosberg, he has generally been matched by a 40+ MS over the last 3 years. Himself a man who people have been hugely critical about since his return. How can that be good enough? Now he is going to find himself in a Webber style seat at Merc, except the car is a shitbox.

A major issue that I have with him is that he is just so forgettable as a driver. What has he done of note since his win? I can only think of him running Alonso off the road in Bahrain.

I'm guessing he will be obliterated by Lewis next year.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: November 21, 2012 03:48PM
Nico just strikes me as someone who gets de motivated really easily and stops pushing, he is going to have to up his game or next year could be his last.
Date: November 21, 2012 04:17PM
Ferrari 2007, feedback acknowledged and understood. after one race there will be no more schumacher to be partisan about, so dont worry about it.

@marcl,

thanks for the update about the twitter thing. i see you have a point.
Date: November 21, 2012 05:48PM
Posted by: EC83
Rosberg reminds me of Ralf - he has a lot of the same characteristics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2012 06:00PM by EC83.
Date: November 21, 2012 06:06PM
aaah. the good old ralf.

it all looked so promising after imola 2001....
2012 United States Grand Prix ***SPOILERS***
Date: November 21, 2012 06:51PM
Posted by: alexf1man
Haha, imagine the German press if it was Ralf at Mercedes not Rosberg? The awkwardness of Michael being beaten by his own brother...
Date: November 21, 2012 07:46PM
Posted by: gav
EC83
Rosberg reminds me of Ralf - he has a lot of the same characteristics.

Ooh, I like that. Both came into the sport with a lot of expectation on their shoulders after successful family members. Both initially impressed. Both didn't really go forward from there.

I still think Ralf was better than he was given credit for, but he was always in for a tough ride up against the acheivements and stature of his brother.

Rosberg is less clear-cut. He impressed me at Williams, but if he's close to Hamilton next year, then it will be one heck of a shock, and make a lot of us reconsider just how successful Schumacher's (in terms of performance) return was.
Date: November 21, 2012 08:28PM
Posted by: Slash
marcl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> EC83 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > LOL.
> >
> > By the way, I think this weekend showed what a
> > good driver Schumacher still is and what a
> piece
> > of @#$%& the Mercedes is now. To drag that car
> up
> > into the top 6 in quali was a pretty brilliant
> > achievement IMO. In the race we immediately saw
> > how poor the car's pace was.
>
>
> It was due to the tyre heat up issues. Quali he
> got heat in his tyres faster than others but in
> the race the tyres on the 1st stint were already
> finished due to quali. Getting that grid place
> was actually due to how rubbish the car is and not
> the skill of MS.
>
> Nico had the opposite due to the setup change he
> made, he could not get heat in his tyres at any
> point in quali or the race yet still finished
> ahead of MS.

from what i read before sunday, Mercedes were testing a few parts on Michael Schumacher's car, whilst Rosberg was still using the normal "old spec".

in qualy with no fuel, cars are usually good enough, and Michael was still able to put it inside Q3. but with the high levels of fuel, the car was just a mess. i don't really know if Mercedes anticipated it, but it seems they're testing a few parts for next year and it went bad.

i doubt they would say to the Brit press "we tested a few parts for next years car, yes that one that Lewis will drive... and we fail miserably"

Nico was always going to have more consistency, even if the car is a POS, they knew it well enough to manage it
Date: November 21, 2012 08:51PM
Posted by: airefresco
mitadumapaga Wrote:
> i dont think the old man retired at the right time
> in 2006... and i still dont
>
> anyway... i m just thinking, this guy must have
> been a Killer in the 90s. if he can produce such a
> performance in this piece of *@*@ that the merc.
> is.

You see the flaw in your argument is that he has spent a vast majority of his career running people of the road, deliberately, or doing other dirty things on track (Monaco ´06 for example). If he was the greatest ever then he wouldn´t need to cheat so much.

He even did it this week with Button, as Button was along side, Schumi swerved towards Button, and you can see from the onboard, he was looking straight at Button. Similar to what he did to Rubens a couple of years ago.

He has never really beaten a strong opponent in a weaker or equal car. The only strongest opponents he has ever had was Senna, (come back to this in a second), Hakkinen, Kimi, Alonso and Vettel and they all beat him, I am tempted to add Jaques here as well, but I am kind of inclined to think that it was more the car than Jaques that won in ´97. Kimi only lost out on the championship because the Mclaren kept breaking down.

The Senna thing, we will never know, yes Senna was getting beat, but in the first race Senna was catching him and was only a few seconds off him before crashing (admittedly his own fault). The second race, Senna was taken out, and then we all know what happened in the third race, which Senna was leading when the accident happened.

Whist I agree, Schumacher is one the greats statistically, for me at least he will never be one of the greats with Senna, Fangio, etc. The early days he looked as if he was going to be a great, but then he spoilt it. Purely because the only thing I will ever remember him for is being a dirty cheat.
Date: November 21, 2012 09:22PM
Posted by: danm
I don't know why there is a general bashing of Ralf.

He produced some mighty fine drives in his Jordan and Williams years, and then kinda got killed off with the whole Toyota false promise. Nobody did there at all.

Ralf was like Frentzen.

Both class drivers, but they were always a few others who were a step ahead that took any limelight from their own results. Remove Schumacher and Ferrari from the early 2000's and then single them out.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: November 21, 2012 09:35PM
Posted by: senninho
airefresco Wrote:

Thanks for replying to this; you saved me quite a lot of typing by agreeing with me in advance ;)

> You see the flaw in your argument is that he has
> spent a vast majority of his career running people
> of the road, deliberately, or doing other dirty
> things on track (Monaco ´06 for example). If he
> was the greatest ever then he wouldn´t need to
> cheat so much.

Even Senna was prone to doing stupid things on track, but Schumacher took this sort of behaviour and made it the norm. Even the man himself didn't try to defend Jerez '97 once confronted with the evidence.

> He has never really beaten a strong opponent in a
> weaker or equal car. The only strongest opponents
> he has ever had was Senna, (come back to this in a
> second), Hakkinen, Kimi, Alonso and Vettel and
> they all beat him, I am tempted to add Jaques
> here as well, but I am kind of inclined to think
> that it was more the car than Jaques that won in
> ´97. Kimi only lost out on the championship
> because the Mclaren kept breaking down.

Hakkinen pretty much had the measure of Michael in 99 and 00. I think Michael knew this, as there was much less in the way of mind games and such. It's also worth pointing out that Schumacher won all his titles with the support of a clear number 2 driver, with zero competition within the team. I don't think this can be said of any of the drivers who beat him to the championship, with the possible exception of Vettel.

I'd also go so far as to say that his titles in 1994 and 2003 were the only ones won with a car that wasn't the class of the field. In '95, Benetton were simply a better team than Williams, and we all know what Ferrari were churning out of their factory from 2000 onwards.

> The Senna thing, we will never know, yes Senna was
> getting beat, but in the first race Senna was
> catching him and was only a few seconds off him
> before crashing (admittedly his own fault). The
> second race, Senna was taken out, and then we all
> know what happened in the third race, which Senna
> was leading when the accident happened.

It's also worth pointing out that the B194 was probably running launch control in the early races of '94 - Senna and Larina complained about it at Aida, and Verstappen has since claimed that Briatore told him 'not to discuss it'. Benetton also tried to gain a pitstop advantage from removing baffles inside the refuelling hose - something which probably contributed to Verstappen's pit fire. The early-season FW16 was a pig of a car, which became probably the class of the field towards the end of the season. That Damon Hill could take the fight to Schumacher shows what the car could have done in Senna's hands.

> Whist I agree, Schumacher is one the greats
> statistically, for me at least he will never be
> one of the greats with Senna, Fangio, etc. The
> early days he looked as if he was going to be a
> great, but then he spoilt it. Purely because the
> only thing I will ever remember him for is being a
> dirty cheat.

I think it's fair to say that Michael is one of the fastest and most intelligent of all time, but probably also one of the most flawed. He wasn't able to deal with pressure like most of the other 'greats', and that will always result in arguments like these.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2012 09:44PM by senninho.
Date: November 21, 2012 10:12PM
exactly.

guys, i dont want to argue with you and everyone has the right of an own opinion.

it"s just that everyone points out the following things:

1) that schuey was tolerated as nr.1 driver . well fangion won his titles by being HANDED his teammates car for a race with the team mate ( i think stirling moss) having to NOT race.

2) that schumacher was dirty driver. i think if you look at senna unbiased you will see his ABSOULUTELY unacceptable driving from his formula ford days (the crash with brundle) and then f1 (from estoril 1988 through imola 1989 and suzuka 1990 to hockenheim 1991 and estoril 1993). about estroil, even hakkinen complained years later how cold senna suddenly has become after mika had beaten him.
schuey wasnt that ruthless. he never crashed Intentionally with an opponent at high speed corners either.

3) that schumacher cheated. i already have discussed that honda admitted giving favourable treatment to senna while being with prost at mclaren. there are alos many other champions thoruhgout the years who have also cheated like mad. its just that no one mentions it.

4) that he was always nr. 1 driver and in the best car... well so was the nr.2 at all time greatest in the bbc column, but no one has ever said anything about it. what would you say about clark or senna. both have won in the best cars too. senna never won a championship in a car that is not at least comparably fast to the fastest on the field.
Date: November 21, 2012 10:19PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
I'd argue that in 1998, 1999 and 2006 that Hakkinen and Alonso were clearly top dogs within their respective teams.

Not on the level of Schuey certainly but it was pretty obvious that they were Rons and Flavios favourites. I particularly remember the reaction to Austria and Spa 1999.

I'd also add 1995 to the list of years when Schuey won the title in a car that wasn't the class of the field.

The B195 was considered a very difficult car to drive, very quick but with a very small margin for error. Berger shunted it in post 1995 testing in a big way and commented how difficult it was to drive, saying how he couldn't believe Schuey had won anything in it. Contrast that with the FW17, especially the B variant that was introduced later in the season which took 12 poles that season and it is clear that it was the better car that year, but Williams thew away the Constructors as Hill was just generally awful.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2012 10:21PM by Ferrari2007.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy