Button & Perez – the worst since de Cesaris?

Posted by gav 
Re: Button & Perez – the worst since de Cesaris?
Date: November 06, 2012 12:40PM
Posted by: marcl
Everyone keeps going on about Lewis and tyre wear, he has had fewer problems than Button this year.
Date: November 06, 2012 03:15PM
Posted by: danm
...its with regards to how the Mercedes has been with tyres the last few seasons.

Currently, it wouldn't suit his driving style, on paper.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: November 06, 2012 03:53PM
Yes I agree with that fact.

As said though Lewis is no more heavy on tyres than button, but he is better and getting more out of them for a quali run.
Date: November 06, 2012 07:52PM
Posted by: J i m
Lewis has no trouble with tyre management, that he does is a myth provoked from a couple of punctures back in 07/08 and the occasional whinge about them on the radio. But his stints at Barcelona this year should serve as evidence to anyone that he can look after tyres with the best of them.

Tyre wear will not be his undoing at Merc, the cars general inconsistency and the team's inability to match the developmental efficiency of Red Bull & McLaren will be. The Merc was a very competitive car early this season but they got left behind from a form point of view from Montreal onwards. That's the challenge they face.. And I'm slightly surprised that Ross Brawn has not managed to instil the required engineering culture as yet.. Perhaps having too many big name technical directors won't help them either.. Too many captains at the helm not enough crew at the oars & sails :P

Date: November 06, 2012 07:59PM
Posted by: davidm
The problem for Macca is though quite clear. You have the best three drivers all contracted (personally I think Vettel has much to prove even with a 3rd title), then Button who is clearly the next best. Who would McLaren sign? They had the two FI drivers or Perez. Probably incoming sponsorship was an issue but how can you blame them given the options. Are Hulk or Di Resta really going to do a better job than Perez? To suggest Maldonado is crazy (in my opinion). Will be very interested to see how Bottas goes in a Williams next year - could be the deal.
Date: November 06, 2012 09:09PM
Yeah Bottas is an exciting prospect... We need to get Mika to tell Frank.. "If you want to win, get the Finn"

Date: November 07, 2012 02:39AM
Posted by: danm
I'm also very excited at Bottas. He seems like a very grounded chap too, keeps himself to himself and gets on with the job at hand.

All but confirmed really, isn't he? Wonder what his current contract is...

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: November 07, 2012 11:29AM
I still dont think the current Merc is as bad as its being made to look tbh.

Yes its not the best car but I dont think the current drivers are getting the max out of it. MS seems to have just given up and Nico keeps crashing, not all his fault.
Date: November 07, 2012 05:52PM
danm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm also very excited at Bottas. He seems like a
> very grounded chap too, keeps himself to himself
> and gets on with the job at hand.
>
> All but confirmed really, isn't he? Wonder what
> his current contract is...

Well I still think it heavily depends on how much Williams need the money of Maldonaldo & Senna to turn a profit.

Date: November 07, 2012 10:45PM
Posted by: Isaint
The Mercedes car is as good as it's going to be. From Schumachers point, yes he may still be driving but his spirit has long since left the building, there simply isn't any urgency.
But to say that Rosberge would have been any higher up the scale of things, is simply not true. That car is 7-8th place car all day long. We all know that Nico has been described as an A.I. driver, right or wrong, if there was any way that car could be placed further up the field on a constant basis Nico would have done it. The car is bad, simple.

In respect to jim's previous post, it makes good reading he explains exactly what is wrong with that team and why it is under performing. What he says is right on the money and for that reason I don't see any significant change when Hamilton is in the cockpit unless these problems are addressed and addressed quickly ....... and I cant see that happening any time soon.

Regarding the Mclaren line-up?
Look, Button is not world class by any stretch of the imagination,( Yes even though he has won 1 W.D.C.) not in the realms of the past greats any way. Never the less the man can be very consistant given the right set up and equipment. He can win races no doubt. If Mclaren sort out their reliability issues he could quietly proceed to mount up points in next years W.D.C. dont underestimate him ...... on the other hand Perez is the big question mark???? Oh and get the hell rid of that Sam Michael ... the man with two first names and not one single clue about what he's doing.

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2012 11:24PM by Isaint.
Date: November 08, 2012 01:27AM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
[www.rtl.de]

moroons. they had the best driver in the world and couldnt bring that shi* of a car anywhere near the top 4 fastest teams ever since canada.

and btw they did pretty well in screwing up at every single gp where they were somwhere abuot 3-rd fastest car, or 2-nd fastest.

if anybody believes mercedes will mount a challenge with lauda etc. they can go have their brains checked. schumacher didnt resign witth merc. for a reason. and that reason is simple:

mercedes can make great engines, and YES they can make great chassis....for the Jim Clark cup maybe
Date: November 08, 2012 01:33AM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
oh, and btw i applied for an internship at BMW and therefore researched their motorsport achievements.

they came back to DTM in 2012 and beat mercedes' as* right where it needed to be kicked ! new drivers, new team, new challenge and still merc. couldnt even beat them at their own soprt so to speak.

mercedes simply suck big time in motorsports. go back to producing road cars and deliver engines and dont bother with being winners, youre not good enough.
Date: November 08, 2012 05:24AM
Posted by: EC83
The more I see the word "moroon" the more amusing I find it... Hehe :P

Mercedes will continue to mainly be shite next year, as they've almost shown a talent for doing since the start of 2010. The regulations changes in 2014 will give them an opportunity to do what they did as Brawn in 2009, and I'm expecting them to make at least a step forward that year, but I think that team is destined to only be mediocre at best in the long run.

Date: November 08, 2012 12:33PM
Posted by: Isaint
EC83 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The more I see the word "moroon" the more amusing
> I find it... Hehe :P
>
> Mercedes will continue to mainly be shite next
> year, as they've almost shown a talent for doing
> since the start of 2010. The regulations changes
> in 2014 will give them an opportunity to do what
> they did as Brawn in 2009, and I'm expecting them
> to make at least a step forward that year, but I
> think that team is destined to only be mediocre at
> best in the long run.

+1

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: November 08, 2012 01:21PM
I think we all know that when they were Brawn they got lucky with the car.

Honda built 3 cars that year and they went with the one that won, and they made very hard work out of it.

Every single car (apart from one) from that factory has had the same problem and thats tyres. I think Ross spends to much time looks at the wrong things, rather than just build a car they keep trying to come up with ways to find loop holes in rules. The double DRS system this year has probably caused half their problems as many have said.

It will be interesting to see what happens next year thats for sure, but the car would have already been designed so Lewis would have had zero imput.

It was also interesting to read that as of next year mclaren are now a fully customer team they will no longer get free engines, maybe this is one of the reasons Lewis jumped ship.

As for Sam, he left Williams they got better. He went to Mclaren and they get worse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2012 01:49PM by marcl.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy