mexico 1990

Posted by mitadumapaga 
mexico 1990
Date: October 23, 2012 03:09AM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
can someone please explain to me:

how the h*ll was mansell able to fight berger back ?? i mean, after berger passed him he was about 1,5 seconds ahead and on a much much fresher rubber ?
Re: mexico 1990
Date: October 23, 2012 04:58AM
Posted by: EC83
Because Mansell had balls the size of watermelons.
Even now that's my favourite fight-back drive ever.

Date: October 23, 2012 07:52AM
Posted by: gav
I still can't believe he did that. Not just the fightback, but the manner of the overtake. That's one of the greatest overtakes of all time as the corner was bumpy and filthy, with next to no run-off, and Berger was never one to give quarter. It makes Schumacher-Alonso at Suzuka (which is similar, but vastly overrated) look like a couple of silly school girls pulling each other's hair.

He was never the most naturally talented driver, but through sheer determination he could certainly mix it with them. With the effort and sacrifice he put into F1 (he and his wife sold their house to continue the dream of getting to F1... how many would do that now?) it would have been a travesty had he not won a title - it was just a shame it was in such a dominant car that he did so. But for some horrendous luck, he would have done the double in 1986 and 1987.
Date: October 23, 2012 10:01AM
Posted by: hasbriale
Mansell Deserved a title.. Piquet No....
Date: October 23, 2012 11:55AM
Posted by: marcl
Even to this day it was never explained how Mansell on them worn tyres came back and got past.

I remember watching the race and the Mclarens were a lot worse on their tyres than Ferrari, Senna even had a blow out.

I think Berger on had worn his tyres out and got a huge flat spot from when he over took Mansell and this allowed Mansell the chance.

Was a great move one of the bravest ever tbh.

And yes Gav that Alonso move was over rated and MS backed off Berger did not!
Date: October 23, 2012 12:57PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
and lets not forget the triple dummy he set on berger on the straight out of the penultimate corner onto the last one (the right hander).

berger got absolutely lost where is that damn ferrari !! Cheeez, i love that scene ! and berger fought fantastic as well. especially the way he went past mansel..
Date: October 23, 2012 05:53PM
^More like Mansell done well to avoid a crash, berger had everything locked up.

We need tracks like this in F1, well not as bumpy etc but tracks that dont rely on bloody DRS to get past on.
Date: October 23, 2012 06:28PM
Posted by: elpasho2005f1
Back when F1 Drivers weren't nagging nancy's.... This is what I loved about F1 back in the early 90s, sparks flying, drivers properly driving, no DRS or silly Kers, manual gearbox. Only thing I'd take away are electronic aids.. damn that fw 14b.

Had some gorgeous looking cars in the 90s.
Date: October 23, 2012 06:41PM
It was so different back then, it was pure racing when the driver could make a difference. Look what Alesi done with the Tyrell in 1990.

None of this stupid tyre stuff.

The cars and drivers raced and pushed from start to finish, its what f1 should be about. It should not be about over taking aids and fuel saving mode and looking after for tyres for 15 laps only pushing hard on 3 laps.
Date: October 23, 2012 07:25PM
Posted by: gav
For the Brits among us, half of what makes the Mansell move is good ol' Murray's commentary. "And... and... and Mansell goes around the OUTSIDE!"

I'm with hasbriale on the Piquet thing. It's next to impossible to claim that someone is lucky to win a championship, but Piquet is the closest I can get. He's most certainly the luckiest multiple champion.
Date: October 23, 2012 10:44PM
Posted by: EC83
I think what drove Mansell there was sheer anger. He said in an interview years later(think I read it in Autosport) that he was furious that Berger had basically relied on him jumping out of the way in order to avoid an accident, so he was determined to fight back.

In that video, the comment by Murray "And this is Berger. Are we gonna suddenly see the Nigel Mansell Ferrari come alongside us?" still gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it. It just did again.
It's moments like this that make Mansell truly deserving of his place amongst the greats of F1. I think the great drivers are the ones who are capable of doing things that shouldn't have been humanly possible in that car on that day, and Mansell was certainly one of those guys when he was in the zone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2012 10:45PM by EC83.
Date: October 23, 2012 11:18PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
EC83 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In that video, the comment by Murray "And this is
> Berger. Are we gonna suddenly see the Nigel
> Mansell Ferrari come alongside us?" still gives me
> goosebumps everytime I hear it. It just did again.

I know what you mean, so many classic Murray moments from the late 90s have the very same effect on me.

I still don't understand how Murray has never been knighted.

You would think that he would be a dead cert surely for his contribution to motorsport and broadcasting over the years.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: October 24, 2012 10:01AM
Posted by: senninho
Ferrari2007 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> EC83 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > In that video, the comment by Murray "And this
> is
> > Berger. Are we gonna suddenly see the Nigel
> > Mansell Ferrari come alongside us?" still gives
> me
> > goosebumps everytime I hear it. It just did
> again.
>
>
> I know what you mean, so many classic Murray
> moments from the late 90s have the very same
> effect on me.
>
> I still don't understand how Murray has never been
> knighted.
>
> You would think that he would be a dead cert
> surely for his contribution to motorsport and
> broadcasting over the years.

Murray has always been quite vocal in his disapproval of receiving an honour for doing something that he loves doing. I'm not sure if that's why he's never been knighted, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see him turn one down.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy