Alex Zanardi 2012

Posted by flat tyre 
Alex Zanardi 2012
Date: August 18, 2012 12:52AM
Posted by: flat tyre
I know this might not belong in the F1 forum, but as an ex-f1 driver I think he more than deserves his place here :)

I just found out that Alex Zanardi is going to take part in the London 2012 paralympics in the handcycling... and that he's one of the favourites to win gold.

I think I might be tempted to watch this, he's such an inspirational bloke and I'll definitely be cheering him on!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Re: Alex Zanardi 2012
Date: August 18, 2012 09:15PM
Posted by: FRESCO
Quite tempted to go myself, tho I think it would be better to be held on public roads as you'd get more people spectating.

Truely inspirational what he's done since his accident.

Date: August 30, 2012 11:54AM
Posted by: senninho
Interestingly (for us), the hand cycling takes place at Brands Hatch - the official London 2012 site says about half of the track will be used.

Oh, and Zanardi continues to be awesome - he has dropped a not-so-subtle hint that he'd like a shot at the Indy 500 after this...

Date: September 05, 2012 05:14PM
Posted by: RAC5
Alex wins at Brands Hatch and has won gold, he truly is a living legend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2012 05:52PM by RAC5.
Date: September 05, 2012 07:38PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Fantastic! And what an incredible photo as well, an amazing man!

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 05, 2012 08:32PM
Posted by: J i m
Legend.

Date: September 07, 2012 09:57PM
Posted by: flat tyre
Make that TWO gold medals now :-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: September 07, 2012 11:27PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
Who cares if he didn't do well in F1? (B)

He is truly an inspiration for anyone, even those with no intrest in motorsport whatsoever (Y)

EDIT:
senninho Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh, and Zanardi continues to be awesome - he has
> dropped a not-so-subtle hint that he'd like a shot
> at the Indy 500 after this...

Wait... WHAT?? (B)(Y)

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2012 11:29PM by smoglessbutton4.
Date: September 08, 2012 10:10AM
Posted by: senninho
From the horse's mouth, as it were:

Autosport
So, be honest, what's next after London?

"Maybe add another wheel and an engine," he laughs.

"Indy has long been a dream, and after the Lausitz run I know I can do it. Jimmy [Vasser] offered me a car for 2013 if I won gold in London. If we do it, I think we will reunite the dream team from the 90s. Me, Chip [Ganassi], Jimmy, Mo. I guess it's time to call Jimmy!"

Vasser and Zanardi won three consecutive CART titles for Ganassi between them from 1996 to 1998. It really was a dream team.

"I'm a curious person," says Zanardi. "So is Mo. He will always be thinking, 'what can we do?' With the adapted Champ Car that test day, I would come in, out of breath and excited, and Mo would say, 'what can I do to make you go faster?' He would adapt this and that, and send me out again.

"Lausitz was amazing. I did those 'final' 13 laps, and just got faster and faster. Lausitz is not an easy track, but I did it.

"I respect Indy an awful lot," he says, "but there is very little braking compared with Lausitz, so I know I can go well there with the right car. And, as I said, I'm curious.

Date: September 29, 2012 12:28PM
Posted by: gav
BBC Radio 5 Live had an excellent show about a double CART champion, double Paralympic gold medallist and double amputee on Thursday Night. Mr Alessandro Zanardi.

It's up on iPlayer, but in case you can only listen to it in the UK, I've converted it to MP3 too. Sadly the show went on a couple of minutes too long, and the end has been cut off on the iPlayer edition (there's not many things that annoy me about the BBC, but how @#$%& hard could it be to include all of the @#$%& show).

The Amazing Alex Zanardi (iPlayer)

The Amazing Alex Zanardi (MP3 download)

Edit:

I've also got an old 5 Live recording from September 5 2002, so I've uploaded that too.

Alex Zanardi - Radio 5 Interview 2002 (MP3 download)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2012 12:36PM by gav.
Date: September 29, 2012 03:33PM
Posted by: chet
As ever thanks :D!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: November 09, 2012 10:29AM
Posted by: Toki
Alex Zanardi completes historc drive in golden BMW M3 DTM

The Real Story of the Race was that the Renault's fell apart and the Ferrari's didn't.
Rosberg headed for the sliproad and retired, probably because of Nicotin starvation they have still not given him a helmet with a little hole in it.
Date: November 09, 2012 07:37PM
Posted by: gav
What's historic about it?
Date: November 09, 2012 11:45PM
Posted by: Toki
I don't know ;)

I simply used the headline from Motorsport.com

The Real Story of the Race was that the Renault's fell apart and the Ferrari's didn't.
Rosberg headed for the sliproad and retired, probably because of Nicotin starvation they have still not given him a helmet with a little hole in it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy