2010 World Cup South Africa

Posted by Guimengo 
Re: 2010 World Cup South Africa
Date: June 19, 2010 05:23AM
Posted by: danm
I made a bet with my brother that Mexico will go further than Portugal.

The first day after the cup final, the loser has to take one of my dads socks from his feet within one minute of taking his boots off after work, praying its a hot day lol, and hold half of it fully in their mouth for 30 seconds.

The alternative I suggested was to put the freshly sweaty sock under the tap, and then strain the liquid through the sock into a shot glass, and the loser takes a cheesy foot injection espresso. Mmmmm!

Beginning to regret this family bet.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: June 19, 2010 06:18AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Whoever loses will spend 30 minutes by a toilet ;).

About France and England, I just think the players are overrated. Technically sound, as in ball control/passing/shot, but nothing special. Very few of those guys can get the ball and create a play by dribbling in a very short space. In the French team I'd single out Henry, Ribery, and Gourcuff though only Henry was at a higher level at his peak, currently Ribery is at his peak but it doesn't match Henry's. Gourcuff is a good player but he won't win a game.

For England, Gerrard is showing he's past his (long and increasingly improved) peak, and on the offensive side (including other midfielders) I'd only pick Rooney as the talented one but he's playing too far back trying to get the ball, and has no one to play with.
Date: June 19, 2010 10:32AM
Posted by: gav
I never thought I'd say this about a Capello team, but England's main problem is our formation. Last season Rooney played up front on his own and was brilliant. Gerrard's strongest position is in behind a lone striker. Get Joe Cole on the left (we really should have brought Adam Johnson) and have Lennon on the right and the guys would play to their strengths.

The other problem we have is that too many of our better players were struggling for form towards the end of the season. Rooney got injured, Gerrard had had a disrupted and poor season, Lampard had had a poor season, I thought Terry had had a shocking season, Carragher had a poor one, Barry didn't exactly excel, Ashley Cole had been out for a month and only played 2 games at the end and Joe Cole had missed most of the season... again. Shaun Wright-Phillips barely got a game for Man City.

The guys who'd missed out were some of the form players. Dawson should have been an automatic first choice at centre back, ahead of Ferdinand let alone Carragher (who's worryingly been our best player so far - I guy who hasn't played for England for 3 or 4 years). Johnson would have given a craft that only Joe Cole can otherwise provide - he'd had a brilliant season at Middlesbrough and Man City and had dislodged Wright-Phillips from the team (how does that work Fabio?).

Our problem position shouldn't be the left wing - he'd accomodating Gerrard in a role which suits neither the team nor the player.

Change shape and play to the strength of the team. His insistence on sticking to the same shape last night was infuriating. Surely he's got to make big changes now, as that team's going to get beaten by Slovenia, let alone the likes of Spain and Argentina.
Date: June 19, 2010 12:22PM
Posted by: senna9194
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I never thought I'd say this about a Capello team,
> but England's main problem is our formation. Last
> season Rooney played up front on his own and was
> brilliant. Gerrard's strongest position is in
> behind a lone striker. Get Joe Cole on the left
> (we really should have brought Adam Johnson) and
> have Lennon on the right and the guys would play
> to their strengths.
>
> The other problem we have is that too many of our
> better players were struggling for form towards
> the end of the season. Rooney got injured, Gerrard
> had had a disrupted and poor season, Lampard had
> had a poor season, I thought Terry had had a
> shocking season, Carragher had a poor one, Barry
> didn't exactly excel, Ashley Cole had been out for
> a month and only played 2 games at the end and Joe
> Cole had missed most of the season... again. Shaun
> Wright-Phillips barely got a game for Man City.
>
> The guys who'd missed out were some of the form
> players. Dawson should have been an automatic
> first choice at centre back, ahead of Ferdinand
> let alone Carragher (who's worryingly been our
> best player so far - I guy who hasn't played for
> England for 3 or 4 years). Johnson would have
> given a craft that only Joe Cole can otherwise
> provide - he'd had a brilliant season at
> Middlesbrough and Man City and had dislodged
> Wright-Phillips from the team (how does that work
> Fabio?).
>
> Our problem position shouldn't be the left wing -
> he'd accomodating Gerrard in a role which suits
> neither the team nor the player.
>
> Change shape and play to the strength of the team.
> His insistence on sticking to the same shape last
> night was infuriating. Surely he's got to make big
> changes now, as that team's going to get beaten by
> Slovenia, let alone the likes of Spain and
> Argentina.

what were you expecting from an Italian coach?;)

My GPGSL Career
Date: June 19, 2010 06:11PM
Posted by: danm
So what if England players just said STFU Capello, and played in the positions they liked. And win, and perform amazingly.

They seem to know the Capello formation isn't working, and for some of these guys, this *could* be their last World Cup. So with nothing to lose and everything to gain, why not just try it? So they go against Capello, Gerard working as he wants behind a solo Rooney.

If I was a player in this position, I would defy the orders because at the end of the day, the players know what they can and can't do.

If they stick to Capello's way of playing them in the wrong places to how they perform best, we WILL lose again.

EDIT - on a positive, I am wrong there. We are currently unbeaten. LOL!

PS Glad I got my Joe Cole england top still from Germany '06. Play that man. He is going to be our saviour!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2010 06:13PM by danm.
Date: June 19, 2010 06:14PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Such a frustrating match for Australia, but at least they put in a fantastic effort considering the circumstances.

Here's hoping for Ghana to win over Germany and Australia to beat Serbia and those two winning teams making it to the next stage.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 19, 2010 06:42PM
Posted by: LS.
danm Wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> PS Glad I got my Joe Cole england top still from
> Germany '06. Play that man. He is going to be our
> saviour!

He cant even get a game at Chelsea, yet people think hes a saviour. Hes got ability, but no end product like Wright Phillips.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: June 19, 2010 07:03PM
Posted by: Guimengo
@Dan:

Anelka got kicked out of the French team for disagreeing with Domenech (and having harsh words with him). Imagine what would happen with Capello, the man who benched Robinho and Beckham because he likes to have the spotlight on himself more than his players ;).

@Gav:

Terry and Johnson have been the best players for me. Terry in the first game was caught out of place and the US forward made a run behind him, and in the second game that one bad pass, but that's all he's done wrong. Carragher has been caught out of place and fouled a bit. And Johnson has almost been an English Maicon.

Now on the Jabulani, NASA did some tests and confirmed this ball is much harder for goalkeepers and players. It moves much faster due to only having 8 surface "gomes" (gomos in Portuguese ;)) attached to each other by heat, compared to 12 from the previous model. It is also unstable in the air which causes the swerving. I played a charity football match on Wednesday with it, and while I loved seeing this new ball I can attest that it really is slightly unpredictable. It swerved around in the air even for throw ins! A girl managed to cross from near the corner kick mark to past the 2nd post with it too, which trust me, should not have been possible ;). It is just a beauty how it takes off after you shoot it, players like Ronaldo and Sneijder must love it.
Date: June 19, 2010 07:32PM
Johnson's done @#$%& all when he's got up the pitch though. It's all good and well running, but if nothing comes of it, then it's almost pointless. What Johnson usually gives is the ability to swap with the right winger - so either one of them can do something while the other commits a man by making a run, with or without the intention to receiving the ball, but while they overlapped each other, neither Johnson or Lennon offered an end product.

Johnson was brilliant for Liverpool last season - he's always been horrible defensively (which is why Carragher is often caught out, having to cover for him, as he was last night), but it's what he gives going forward which gets him picked... but while he ran forward, he didn't do anything when he got there. They might as well have played Gary Neville. Or Neville Neville.

Terry was an improvement on the rest of his season, but let's face it, it was against Algeria, so with all due respect to them it shouldn't have been too hard... yet he still nearly gifted them a goal. That's the problem Terry has had all year - his overall play has been OK, but when he makes cock-ups, they're massive, game changing ones. I noticed at one point last night he got sucked onto the half-way line tracking a full back - there were 5 Algerian players players between him and the goal with just Carragher, Cole and Barry having to hold them up while Mr Mistress trundled back. That's the sort of job Barry was brought back for - to do the donkey work in front of the back four while allowing Gerrard and Lampard to be more offensive. Terry's work in the box is good, but his defensive work outside of it has been shocking all year.
Date: June 19, 2010 07:40PM
Posted by: n00binio
SchueyFan schrieb:
> Here's hoping for Ghana to win over Germany and
> Australia to beat Serbia and those two winning
> teams making it to the next stage.

here's hoping for germany to win (obviously). theoretically we should be strong enough to beat ghana but we'll see. at first i thought it would be germany and australia that advance to the next round. i didn't expect this outcome

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: June 19, 2010 07:58PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
n00binio Wrote:
> here's hoping for germany to win (obviously).
> theoretically we should be strong enough to beat
> ghana but we'll see. at first i thought it would
> be germany and australia that advance to the next
> round. i didn't expect this outcome

Germany and Australia is still not impossible. If Germany beat Ghana 3-0 (which isn't that unlikely at all) and Australia beat Serbia 3-0 (less likely, but if Australia can keep 11 on the field, who knows ;)) it could happen.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 19, 2010 08:52PM
Posted by: Slash
gav Wrote:
> I never thought I'd say this about a Capello team,
> but England's main problem is our formation. Last
> season Rooney played up front on his own and was
> brilliant. Gerrard's strongest position is in
> behind a lone striker.
Get Joe Cole on the left
> (we really should have brought Adam Johnson) and
> have Lennon on the right and the guys would play
> to their strengths.
>
> The other problem we have is that too many of our
> better players were struggling for form towards
> the end of the season. Rooney got injured, Gerrard
> had had a disrupted and poor season, Lampard had
> had a poor season, I thought Terry had had a
> shocking season, Carragher had a poor one, Barry
> didn't exactly excel, Ashley Cole had been out for
> a month and only played 2 games at the end and Joe
> Cole had missed most of the season... again. Shaun
> Wright-Phillips barely got a game for Man City.
>
> The guys who'd missed out were some of the form
> players. Dawson should have been an automatic
> first choice at centre back, ahead of Ferdinand
> let alone Carragher (who's worryingly been our
> best player so far - I guy who hasn't played for
> England for 3 or 4 years). Johnson would have
> given a craft that only Joe Cole can otherwise
> provide - he'd had a brilliant season at
> Middlesbrough and Man City and had dislodged
> Wright-Phillips from the team (how does that work
> Fabio?).
>
> Our problem position shouldn't be the left wing -
> he'd accomodating Gerrard in a role which suits
> neither the team nor the player.

>
> Change shape and play to the strength of the team.
> His insistence on sticking to the same shape last
> night was infuriating. Surely he's got to make big
> changes now, as that team's going to get beaten by
> Slovenia, let alone the likes of Spain and
> Argentina.

same thing i think about whenever i see them play... but i don't think Capello will solve it... only Lampard having an injury

the problem is Gerrard knows how to defend more than Lampard, and i can't imagine what would everyone(press) say if he sits Lampard
Date: June 19, 2010 09:10PM
Posted by: Slash
what a goal, what a goal Denmark just scored!!, that was world class
Date: June 20, 2010 01:42AM
Posted by: n00binio
SchueyFan schrieb:
> n00binio Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > here's hoping for germany to win (obviously).
> > theoretically we should be strong enough to
> beat
> > ghana but we'll see. at first i thought it
> would
> > be germany and australia that advance to the
> next
> > round. i didn't expect this outcome
>
> Germany and Australia is still not impossible. If
> Germany beat Ghana 3-0 (which isn't that unlikely
> at all) and Australia beat Serbia 3-0 (less
> likely, but if Australia can keep 11 on the field,
> who knows ;)) it could happen.

ok, we'll try our best ;)

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: June 20, 2010 06:34PM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
NZ FTWD!
Date: June 20, 2010 07:26PM
Posted by: senna9194
MikaHalpinen Wrote:
> NZ FTWD!

NZSD!

My GPGSL Career
Date: June 20, 2010 09:41PM
Guimengo
So it looks proven that Brazil can only be thought of as a contender if:

Luis Fabiano is replaced with Nilmar
Elano is replaced with D. Alves
G. Silve/F. Melo is replaced with Ramires

;)

Shame he handled it twice for the 2nd, but otherwise 2 brilliant goals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2010 09:43PM by gav.
Date: June 20, 2010 10:04PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
what gets me about football - why dont players wear something/have a system that protects their ankle and shins fully and arent exposed so any hit there wouldn't matter? if it was f1 there would be fducts and adjustable ride height socks and everything lol?

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: June 20, 2010 10:12PM
It was just the shin-pad being pushed onto the shin. Nasty, but he looked to be OK as he hobbled down the tunnel. Hopefully just bruising. That'll hurt in the morning mind!

It wasn't a foul. They both committed, and it was actually Elano who swung his leg at the foot. Just one of those freak occurrences. :(

It's turned out easy for Brazil. Our commentators in the UK described the first goal as "one bit of class in a sea of mediocrity", which sums up Brazil (and many of the big teams) so far. It'll be interesting to see how the big teams cope when they start playing each other - they can't all sit back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2010 10:13PM by gav.
Date: June 21, 2010 12:49AM
Posted by: Vader
This is the worst WC I remember.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy