DeltaWing are back.

Posted by DaveEllis 
DeltaWing are back.
Date: June 09, 2011 11:21AM
Posted by: DaveEllis

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2011 11:21AM by DaveEllis.
Re: DeltaWing are back.
Date: June 09, 2011 11:33AM
Posted by: Nickv
While I find it hideous, I do give a +1 for innovation and daring to do this. Due to the super tight regulations we have only one view of what a formula car should look like. Due to this one view, we find this ugly. But didn't we all puke when BMW showed their 09 interim car? The cars don't look so bad now because we're used to it. I find some actually very pretty. Same goes for this really.
Date: June 09, 2011 11:34AM
Posted by: senninho
I just don't understand how it could have anything less than crippling understeer...

Date: June 09, 2011 11:40AM
. But didn't we all puke when BMW showed their 09 interim car?

I still puke at it. It's still a hideous car.

Specs:

1.6L 4 Cylinder Engine, producing 300hp.
72% rear weight bias

lawl.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2011 11:43AM by DaveEllis.
Date: June 09, 2011 11:46AM
Posted by: Nickv
That may be so, but it doesn't defy my point. Everybody was all crying their eyes out when they saw that and thought every car would look like that. 1: they don't, and 2: there are cars, within the same regulations, that look good. One reason is that people need to get used to it. People hate change (just think of the gazillion times F1 has been proclaimed dead when something new was introduced).
Date: June 09, 2011 11:53AM
Right, except for there is a slight difference to changing wing dimensions, and the DeltaWing 'concept'. And this isn't an open set of rules like F1, so you can't have variations of it. This is the car. Think of it was CCWS 07 when Panoz turned up with a pile of crap and said it'd be fine, and everybody said no it won't be. And sure enough it wasn't fine.

I'm not even basing my hate of it on looks, I'm basing it on it's taking motorsport backwards, whilst claiming it's moving forwards. It's taking everything we know about motorsport and vehicles, throwing all the good stuff away, and keeping the bad stuff.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 09, 2011 12:03PM
Another point is, this is a *massive* insult to teams who work for their Le Mans entry. LM24 entries are performance based. You don't just get given one. You earn it through previous Le Mans performances and performances in relative series. A lot of big teams and cars don't even make it in every year because of this. Despite this, DeltaWing have been given an automatic entry? What the hell?

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 09, 2011 02:09PM
Posted by: chet
Apparently the world has gone mad.

But Dave, I have to disagree with you (slightly)... the 56th entry was made for innovative entrances, maybe like this but more imo like the Porsche 918 hybrid :p. It shouldn't need to earn its way in.

I do agree however that the choosing of this for the entrance IS an insult. Why not something that will contribute to the future of automotive design. As you say, this does not and for that reason IMO it defy's the point of the 56th entrance. Something like an all electric vehicle...or something that could compete and race.

It WILL be slow. But the biggest disappointment is they have somehow managed to bag currently the best racing team in ALMS, and one of the best racing teams around at the moment. How the hell they did that idk but it sure will help them get this horrible thing to the track :(.

Why cant it just die :(

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: June 09, 2011 02:23PM
The 56th entry was meant to be another slot. Like when they extended it from 50 to 53, then to 55. Then they were for the innovation idea, which is fine as long as it's an idea which furthers the sport.

How the hell they did that idk but it sure will help them get this horrible thing to the track

[deltawingracing.com]

Have a look at the slide show presentation, which presumably was what they used to show investors. It's just full of buzz words. Environment, green, innovation, demographic, premier, striking, efficient. By the time they get to page 12 of that presentation they've run out of things to say and go into social networking and computer games.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 09, 2011 02:49PM
Posted by: Slash
Good Luck with THAT!

it looks perfect for Bonneville...
Date: June 09, 2011 05:47PM
There has been a bit of a mistake, and the DeltaWing is only competing for this slot, it hasn't been given it.

The other entries are the Green GT LMP-H2 which is Hydrogen powered.

And the all electric Courage 0.12

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 09, 2011 07:05PM
Posted by: gav
senninho
I just don't understand how it could have anything less than crippling understeer...

They've thought about that. It generates lift at the rear. Sorted.
Date: June 09, 2011 07:54PM
Posted by: alless84
The GREENGT LMP-H2 looks cool
Date: June 09, 2011 11:07PM
Posted by: loren
I can't believe the DeltaWing people are still around. They must be very good at PR, because they've still yet to prove that their concept is even feasable. Good to see that they've not actually been awarded an entry yet. I suspect that when it comes to actually investing the money to design and build a car, folks will come to their senses, just like IndyCar did.
Date: June 10, 2011 01:05AM
Dave - that is perhaps the best news since Max Mosley was out'ed out of the FIA!!!!!!

Either one of them entries is far better looking, and far more relevant for the future of the sport and automotive design! Phew...!! They even look like they belong at Le mans and not in some 6 year olds toy box!

I will officially eat my hair if Delta Wing go through. And you can sticky to remember that!

Date: June 11, 2011 02:13PM
Highcroft messaged me to say that they DO have the slot officially and the other 2 are reserves. That's not so bad, because there is no way that Highcroft will show up with that thing, and we'll end up with the GreenGT Hydrogen car.

The GreenGT car doesn't actually exist yet, and the render is for illustration purposes. Expect them to just buy an existing chassis and work the hydrogen power plant into it. Wirth are still working on, and selling the HPD P1 chassis, so it might even be that it ends up with.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 11, 2011 03:02PM
The Wirth thing has confused me. I thought the chassis was owned by Honda?

But bad news :(. Im sure with highcroft the car will get to the track at least, whether it will be reach le mans or not is something else.

Date: June 13, 2011 07:19PM
Posted by: alless84
After the crashes we have seen this weekend even if they really got the slot they will for sure have to reconsider the desing. First of i think its a dangerous design cause the car is so much wider at rear from front which could cause mayor problems to the drivers and second of that is there is no way it will be stable as it should be in corners. Every new designs in motorsport got new safety risks and here is something we never seen racing on this kinda tracks or corners and i think it is risky to get it really to the track at lemans.
Date: June 13, 2011 08:40PM
Posted by: Slash
i can picture that thing taking off quite easy.. it'll pull a Mark Webber BackFlip... hopefully no one will be around
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy