Re: Audi R18 TDI.
Date: December 10, 2010 10:36PM
Posted by: n00binio
wow :-o

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: December 10, 2010 10:38PM
Posted by: Carlitox
Whoa, it looks like a fighter aircraft!!!

BTW, the rear part looks like an F-Duct. Maybe they're going to introduce it for LMPs

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2010 10:42PM by Carlitox.
Date: December 10, 2010 10:53PM
Posted by: msater
Woah. That is stunning :) Can't wait to see it in Audi colours!

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: December 10, 2010 11:44PM
Posted by: mika19b
That looks amazing! :)

I agree about the F-Duct too, looks like one to me.
Date: December 10, 2010 11:44PM
Posted by: ferrariman
they've suddenly 'realised' that closed cockpit is more aerodynamic - i believe thats a load of rubbish

I read that the new rules forced all LMP1 cars to be closed cockpits from 2011, so it seems like they're bigging themselves up that they came up with the idea - cheats lol!
Date: December 10, 2010 11:50PM
Posted by: ipswich2007
ye i read that too new rules you have to have closed cockpit.

edit - did any of you see the pictures of the peugeot 90x concept a month or so back

that also incorporated a f1 style shark wing, was a big article about it in autosport

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2010 11:51PM by ipswich2007.
Date: December 11, 2010 03:54AM
Posted by: loren
Pretty wild looking. I was hoping the return to closed tops would make the cars look a little more like a normal road car, but I guess not.
Date: December 11, 2010 07:45AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
ferrariman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> they've suddenly 'realised' that closed cockpit
> is more aerodynamic - i believe thats a load of
> rubbish
>
> I read that the new rules forced all LMP1 cars to
> be closed cockpits from 2011, so it seems like
> they're bigging themselves up that they came up
> with the idea - cheats lol!

There are a number of aero changes for 2011, including fins, new rear wings, different under nose regulations. It is entirely possible that whilst open top was faster, coupé now is. Audi has also shifted its concentration to Le Mans only. The R10 and R15 were designed to run on a massive variety of circuits, from ALMS, LMS, Asian LMS and Le Mans. Unfortunately the budget was cut and the R15 never really got a proper run on the variety it was intended. The R18 was designed knowing it was specifically for Le Mans, and not to run around Long Beach and Lime Rock, so it was naturally going to be significantly to the previous models.

The forced coupé rules start in 2012, not 2011.

BTW, the rear part looks like an F-Duct. Maybe they're going to introduce it for LMPs

The ACO specifically banned the use of wing stalling devices, so an F-Duct isn't possible, even in a completely different concept.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 11, 2010 04:12PM
Posted by: chet
[www.mulsannescorner.com]

You could see the R15 was draggy but produced a hell of alot of downforce! This car looks a nice compramise... Obviously this isnt the Le Mans spec, but Mikes numbers are interesting. The first thing I noticed when I saw pictures were the buldging fenders, so i searched for an english article and the wider front tyres were confirmed :p

Looks nice... The 908's had quite an addvantage last year, no doubt this will close them right up again!

What developments has the 908 got planned? Not 90x looked not so different, and I assumed Pug would wait till the revamped regs again?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 25, 2011 10:28PM
Posted by: ColdBlood
I am sorry but it looks exactly like B-2 Stealth bomber & it will bomb the field of 2011 LMP1 :)

Race with no fear! - Gilles Villeneuve

Date: February 26, 2011 11:05AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
The Audi might look like a plane, but the Peugeot is the one acting like one based on the last few weeks!

X (@ed24f1)
Date: February 27, 2011 12:28AM
Yeah. Took off again at Ricard and cleared the fence.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 27, 2011 02:09AM
shame pug wont release anything about it, like speeds, and how it happened etc, but another flip even with the sharkfin...

FIA(??) really need to spend money on having a real go at solving these yaw induced flips.

Date: March 01, 2011 02:49AM
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> shame pug wont release anything about it, like
> speeds, and how it happened etc, but another flip
> even with the sharkfin...
>
> FIA(??) really need to spend money on having a
> real go at solving these yaw induced flips.

ACO. ACO are lazy. They didn't do a proper investigation into it and figured the fin would stop it. But the floor is the problem, not the top of the car. Putting the fun on the top attempts to counter balance the issue by creating the high pressure system above the car. Instead of trying to counter balance it, they should be attacking the reason for the high pressure below the car.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 01, 2011 10:27PM
What they've done so far doesnt seem to be enough. I guess the large floor area doesnt help things either.

Im sure all it would take would be a consorted effort by Audi/Pug (ie the ones with the money!!) and maybe others to have a real go. Its money that is the issue, why would they tap into their resources to help everyone else. It seems all people look for these days are quick fixes that do half the job and require minimum change. The sharkfin is a perfect example.

Date: March 02, 2011 01:05AM
Well it's clearly not enough. The cars are getting faster, which exaggeration the problem first of all, but they are gaining more height than ever. The massive cross section of the fin also makes the cars much more sensitive to cross winds.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 15, 2011 09:16AM
The new Acura or whatever you want to call is easily the prettiest racecar on the Sebring grid! It looks awesome! Good first test too! Is there any hope in them taking the fight to the top guys? I cant see anyone touching Audi or the Pugs at Le mans but Sebring is a different beast. Could they cause an upset? The ARX-01 a/b/c/d were all the nicest cars on the grid but this has just set a new level :p!

Though realistically, I expect the Audi to romp away at the front. But come Le mans, I still think Pug's car is more optimized for that type of circuit.

Date: March 22, 2011 03:39PM
Posted by: marcl
I watched the entire 12 hours at Sebring and really enjoyed it, what a race full of action.

Some of the drivers no longer seem to care that its a 12 hour race they just go for it, it is totally different to how it was in the 80's and 90's.
Date: March 22, 2011 10:04PM
In Marinos words, you have to, don't you? If you're not driving flat out then you'll be laps down very early. Reliability is so much better than it used to be that you can't afford to totter around saving the car.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy