Track Editor starting toolkit

Posted by R_Scandura 
Track Editor starting toolkit
Date: November 13, 2012 06:29PM
Posted by: R_Scandura
hi
This is meant to be an experiment. I've put together a sort of starting toolkit so who wants can aproach the editing. It doesn't mean you'll make complete tracks but means you will make NON-EMPTY tracks still looking good if you want to try something by yourself. Complete tracks still require additional learning. You will still need to follow the tutorial for the various steps.
The file is available HERE. The package is composed of:

1) A complete empty track. There is nothing inside. It only shows the logic behind the track modeling and the pitlane connection.
2) A Showcase track. Here there are placed all along the layout all the commonly used objects and a couple of textures for showing purposes.
3) A Showcase folder. Here there are 3 subfolders
- Generic: these are the never miss jams of every track. The custom jams to start mapping the track.
- 3D: this is a list of the most used 3D objects. Each object is placed in a own folder with its own jam file/s.
- 2D: this is a list of the most used 2D objects. Meaning marshals, vehicles, helicopters... They don't have a physical shape, only need to be placed to work
4) A generic jam folder with all the jam files there. You can rename it how you want and import jams from there

Both tracks are working and driveable. So oyu can have a lap around and see the objects you need. You can proceed in 2 ways:
1) Open the Empty track shape your own layout. Then create a jam folder with a proper name and move inside this folder all the generic jams. Then import in the track only the objects you intend to use and move their related jams into your jam folder. In this way you'll save id for more objects.
2) Open the showcase and shape your layout from there. so you'll have all the objects and jams already loaded. All you have to do is to rename the folder YourTrack3jam into whatever you want, then double click each jam on the track tree and locate the same jam from the renamed jam folder.

In both ways, as for the objects, you need to manage the object definition of every object for each poser you'll put on the track.

Each Jam ID is made unique for its owner object so textures are fully customizable. Also in case of adverts or buildings there are provided multiple jams to have more combinations.
In the package there is also a document bringing the list of all the used jam ID. they are highlighted by category so it will help to spot if an ID has been used. Use it to know what ID to use. For safety reason is better to use only the IDs listed in the document as many are reserved to the game to load other textures. Trees are too many textures so they can be loaded from the genjam folder when needed and applied like a 2D object. Just check the ID is still free.

If it turns out useful the list of objects can be expanded to other common objects.
I think this is the ultimate attempt I can do. Hope you find it useful.

Enjoy :)

-------------------------------

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2012 06:34PM by R_Scandura.
Re: Track Editor starting toolkit
Date: November 13, 2012 07:14PM
Posted by: holemad
I get the 404 error....is it only my computer or ?
Date: November 13, 2012 07:23PM
it's on the tutorial summary page. try to refresh the page

Date: November 13, 2012 07:38PM
nope, when i click on 'download the starting toolkit' its giving me the 404 error. I'll see later on my laptop.
Date: November 13, 2012 07:57PM
the annoyance of the case characters, there was a t in place of a T and the download wrecked up. Refresh and try again when you want. it should be fixed now. Sorry for the unconvenience
any suggestions and updates welcome. this is a test version

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2012 07:58PM by R_Scandura.
Date: November 13, 2012 08:06PM
its ok now, rob. Will have a look at it tomorrow.
Thanks for the updated tutorial also; it has helped me several times during the past years.
Date: November 13, 2012 10:44PM
Posted by: Rod_vs
Fantastic!!!

Well, I want to help creating track layout and putting JAMs (walls and tarmac/grass/sand on off-track)

One Racing driver and team manager
GPGSL-3: champion in 2007/2013/2014!
GPGSL-4: testdrivers champion in Season 11!
Date: November 14, 2012 02:20AM
Posted by: EricMoinet
Thanks Roberto. i will have a look at it after having repair my comp

Date: December 01, 2012 03:36PM
Posted by: savinaclaudio
Ah Roberto! you are a genius!
Just what we needed to have some new guys editing tracks, and have more and more tracks...
The neverending story of Gp3...
Great idea.
Claudio
Date: December 03, 2012 09:38PM
Posted by: ettore
thank you very much Roberto, you've got a great idea! so we will understand more of track editing!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy